VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 11:04:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up a new user  (Read 1566 times)
Nobody

« on: August 13, 2007, 10:19:44 pm »

Yesterday I installed SOHO just fine but am having problems creating another user.
When I try to log into the second account, first there's a box in the middle of a blank desktop that says "initializing system serv" and then when that goes away nothing happens.  It's just a mouse on a blank desktop.  Does anybody have any idea of what's wrong?
Oh, and if it makes a difference, I set the name and password, set the shell to bash and I've tried both clicking on group boxes and leaving them all blank and it doesn't make a difference.
Nobody

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 01:47:04 am »

Slight update.  I was first trying with Kuser.  I just now erased the second user and remade it using VASM.  I am still having the same problem as before.  Using VASM I chose not to make the user an administrator of any kind.  That shouldn't have anything to do with it, should it?  I'd check for myself, but I need to wait until tomorrow.  Thanks.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:46 am »

The user has to be a member of something. Try VASM again and leave the defaults checked.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Nobody

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:14:26 am »

OK.  I did make the user a member of lots of things, just not anything admin, but I'll go back and reset to the defaults.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:42:07 am »

... Using VASM I chose not to make the user an administrator of any kind.  That shouldn't have anything to do with it, should it?
Any user other than "root" does not have "admin" priveleges.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:51:12 am »

Sounds like you messed up the creation of a new user pretty badly. New users must be members of some groups or you won't be able to run anything on the system. I would do this:

1) delete that user which you created improperly: VASM, SUPER, USER, DEL (delete the appropriate user)
2) add a new user: VASM, SUPER, USER, ADD, loginname, RealName, userID (do not change this), set groups (just hit OK and use the defaults), YES create account, enter password, enter password, OK.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Nobody

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:44:32 am »

OK, this is strange.  Last night I go to bed with a blank desktop.  Now when I check, everything's loaded and acting just fine  Huh.  I ended the session, and logged back in and it works just fine now too.
The groups I checked look different, so maybe either my second account got autocorrected somehow, or maybe it just took a while to set up a second account because I'm running it on an older computer.
Anyway, thanks for your help and if I find something wrong with my second account, I'll delete it and re-make it using only the defaults like you said.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: