VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:05:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Computer Adventure Tomorrow  (Read 10987 times)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:29 am »

It's about PID controllers, but for this one we only have to do the PI part. When I finish this one I still have to write one about PID controllers as well.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 04:52:55 am »

External hard drives are the way to go.

<opinion>
Unless the drives are USB powered, the power supplies become their Achilles heel. There is no consensus on voltage, polarity or plug design. Even between versions of the same drives, the manufacturer just cobble together something from whatever they have in the parts bin that was bought from the lowest bidder that day.

This disease permeates our society. Cell phones, computer accessories, small appliances, they use a myriad of non-marked plugin adapters that are not interchangeable or even re-usable in most cases. It is a horrible waste and they are an inconvenient, ugly mess!

There, I feel better now Wink
</opinion>
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 05:54:19 am »

IBMs dumb proprietary DIMM cards and slots come to mind.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 08:36:46 am »

My /home is just a directory on /. But I don't lose it if I'm reinstalling or destroying /. I just copy /home onto an external hard drive and everything is safely preserved and ready for reuse.

You folks have to get with the times.<g> External hard drives are the way to go. I have four of them totaling 760 gigs.
--GrannyGeek

Some tips on backups for everyone to enjoy. I learned the hard way after a massive error on my side resulting in the possible loss of weeks of work (I won't get too much into details as it's too embarrassing  Embarrassed). So here's some important things that might prevent you from loosing files as well:

If you make a backup:

1) don't write it over the previous backup!
Just in case something goes wrong with this one.

2) Give it the time to write everything!
If unmounting, rebooting or turning off the computer takes a long while, wait patiently. Just because cp or the filemanager seems to be done and the files seem to be there doesn't mean the files are physically on the disk. Some of the files may still be cached. Do something useful in the meantime (or watch TV Wink). Better safe then sorry!

3) Don't remove the old files / backups unless you're sure the backup is successful!
Test some files in the backup if you can, preferably after a reboot so you're sure the files on the disk are actually correct!

4) write very important backups to a cd/dvd as well, in case of harddrive failure. Try to put all backups in the same cd/dvd folder in an orderly fashion so you know where to find the latest ones. Try to put a short but clear description on the disc with what's on it, like :

Backup 'shared' partition Aug 22 2007

Well, that's about it for now. Hope you people never end up with backups full of corrupted files...

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 10:39:18 am »

Re Backups: I agree with all said above. Another point re external hard drives - they should last a LONG time because they are rarely in use, unlike a computer's internal drive which is spinning most of the time. External drives need to be treated gently however as their portability means they are moved around frequently. They are delicate, don't forget!

Secondly, I often back up really important files (ie long documents being written, program code, maps I am CADing, etc, but not multimedia stuff) to GMail, as well as to a normal hard drive or CDROM backup. That way I have offsite storage in case the house burns down or something equally unlikely.  Cheesy

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Vxt

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 01:54:46 pm »

Nightflier
 I heartily agree ESP Re the cell-phones & voltages used
You forgot to mention:
For a tiny embedded system, the "BOOT" delay on some is attrocious !

But maybe all that is symptomatic to the "disposable" attitudes of
'I  NEED latest bells/whistles' buying public ?

Knowing that, doesn't make me feel better -
I WANT a new LCD monitor - but my 9 Yr old Viewsonic
refuses to  Huh stop being  - "just_as_good_as_new"   
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 03:17:09 pm »

I WANT a new LCD monitor - but my 9 Yr old Viewsonic
refuses to  Huh stop being  - "just_as_good_as_new"   

I had that problem with a Techmedia monitor. I finally had to give it away so I could justify an upgrade.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 04:57:20 pm »

2) Give it the time to write everything!
If unmounting, rebooting or turning off the computer takes a long while, wait patiently. Just because cp or the filemanager seems to be done and the files seem to be there doesn't mean the files are physically on the disk. Some of the files may still be cached. Do something useful in the meantime (or watch TV Wink). Better safe then sorry!

Do a 'sync' afterwards.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2007, 11:35:52 am »

That way I have offsite storage in case the house burns down or something equally unlikely

That's what I thought. At first I had my PhD work in a single computer, which was obviously dangerous. As the data started growing I put it in a DVD. These days I have it in two computers and 1 dvd disc, all at home.

BUT what if the house collapses? 4 years of work wasted...
So, I also store it in the University server, and because they do backups every night I should be pretty safe...

BUT what if there's an attack on this little town where I live?! Like a bomb, or something to the same effect??
After all, I just live something like 60 miles from London, UK!

So, in addition I'm storing it in a server in Switzerland, which is quite a peaceful country...

Now, only if the whole continent burns down will I lose my work!  Grin
(in which case, I'm sure I'll have more to worry about than the bloody PhD...)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2007, 12:26:45 pm »

So, in addition I'm storing it in a server in Switzerland, which is quite a peaceful country...

Indeed, it is a paceful country, but that could be some kind of strategy.  Grin

Now, only if the whole continent burns down will I lose my work!  Grin
(in which case, I'm sure I'll have more to worry about than the bloody PhD...)

Send me a copy, Southamerica has internal problems only, and who wants to steal a PhD? hmm may be one person from the college, he could become a doctor with no effort...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2007, 05:19:05 pm »

Actually, if the continent burned down you would have nothing to worry about, and the work who would be there to take advantage of it?
Stop worrying so much, you are making me nervous. Nothing at all is 100% secure !
Take care
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2007, 06:40:07 am »

I think that is an excellent idea. The more I learn about computers, the less I trust them (and the operators). While visiting my brother in Norway I offered to make him a server out of his old P3, where he could store his pictures and music. One condition was that I got to open an obscure port for SSH access.

I keep a server that he can access from his Windows box using Putty and WinSCP but that proved to be too complicated. Reversing the roles worked a lot better. Now he has a local server that streams his music and that he can access as a network folder. I can easily get in using Linux. If it needs maintenance I can do it remotely. Sharing files is a snap, and we get mutual backups.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2007, 05:44:48 pm »

Well, admittedly this is a bit extreme... It's just that you never know.  Wink
Mostly I think it helps with access, like nightflier pointed out. I know that by having my work in two different servers I can access it at any time, using any protocol, from any operating system.

Send me a copy, Southamerica has internal problems only

Hmm... is this an attempt at social engineering? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28security%29
How would I know that you're not in on it, too? I know "they" are after me, and who knows if you are one of "them"?  Cheesy Wink
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:28:07 am by wcs » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2007, 06:46:08 pm »

I know "they" are after me, and who knows if you are one of "them"?

For a over educated white collar guy...  You're all right wcs.  Cheesy
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2007, 08:29:50 am »

For a over educated white collar guy...  You're all right wcs.  Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy
Desperately trying to be a part-time blue collar guy, though. Now that my scholarship is over, I've tried to get a job at telesales, newspaper stands, and restaurants. Still no luck...  Undecided
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: