VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 09:09:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Computer Adventure Tomorrow  (Read 11698 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 15, 2007, 06:37:37 pm »

Please send some positive thoughts my way for the next couple of days. I bought an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor to replace the Sempron 3400+ in my 17-month-old Compaq. If I get the computer backed up early enough, I plan to install it tomorrow.

The specs on the HP-proprietary ASUS motherboard say it supports Athlon 64 X2 processors and through googling I found at least two messages saying someone had an Athlon 64 X2 CPU working on this board. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the CPU will indeed work in dual-core mode.

The thing I'm most concerned about is removing the heat sink fan, cleaning it, putting thermal paste on the processor, and replacing the HSF. The last time I installed an HSF was three years ago when I replaced the motherboard and CPU on my older desktop. That was a hellish experience--I wasn't strong enough to snap the HSF in place and had to have GrampaGeek do it. I'm hoping this one will be easier, as it has a lever that *might* release the HSF fan without a giant amount of trouble and *might* also be easier to snap in place over the new CPU.

I'm also hoping that removing the old thermal grease won't be worse than I expect and that I get the new Arctic Silver on right. I downloaded nice, illustrated, step-by-step instructions for the paste from Arctic Silver's Web site and from a hardware site on the Web. AMD has a video on replacing a Socket 939 processor that I downloaded and have watched a couple of times.

Assuming I'm successful in getting the thing installed and recognized, I'll then see whether Linux and Windows are happy or unhappy with the new CPU. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

So.....
Your positive thoughts will be much appreciated! I'll let everyone know how it goes.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:52:09 pm »

Sounds like fun, Granny! Always is fun when you finished the job  Cheesy I am sure you can do a great work there. I think the key is to conserve the calm and trust in your fingers. If you need GrampaGeek┬┤s hands, may be is a good time to remind to him how much you like your computer Wink
We will be waiting for the good news.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:45:09 pm »

I would remove the motherboard from the case and lay it flat on the bench (with suitable anti-static precautions) before starting. Those processor heatsink clips can be the very devil to remove and install.

Eric
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:54:26 pm »

I still hard to believe that a granny loves computer more than the grandpa  Wink
So what is the love of the grandpa ?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:49:13 am »

I still hard to believe that a granny loves computer more than the grandpa  Wink

Why?  That seems, from my American feminist woman's perspective, to be incredibly sexist.  Hopefully that's just a cultural difference and you didn't mean it that way.  Grin

-Cait (Old enough to be a grandma, but isn't one.)

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:56:51 am »

I would remove the motherboard from the case and lay it flat on the bench (with suitable anti-static precautions) before starting. Those processor heatsink clips can be the very devil to remove and install.

Good advice, I'd also add the RAM before putting the Mother Board back in the case, sometimes the board flexes when on the stand offs in the case, and that can cause damage... also its usually far easier when the board is out to do these things, more room!  One of my pet hates in building machines is poorly labeled mother boards, especially for front panel connectors!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:06 am »

Cait (Old enough to be a grandma, but isn't one)

Whaaaa?  I had you pegged wrong!  Well then again at 38 I could be a Grandpa.  I have friends that are. Whoa.  That puts things into perspective for me a bit.

That seems, from my American feminist woman's perspective
I am anything but sexist, but I have to agree that women that dig into computer nuts and bolts isn't exactly the norm in any culture.  I personally don't know any women (aside from some message boards) that are even willing to try it.

I'm intrigued that GrannyGeek does all the "geeky" things that she does.  I don't know if she is a older Grandma, or if she is closer to my age.  But she has my complete respect, as I could never imagine my mother successfully plugging in a computer, let alone giving one a overhaul.  I'm impressed with you as well Caitlyn, you know some stuff.

Flame me as needed, just keep in mind that I mean well and often choose my words poorly.  My wife can attest to that.

I'm sure you'll do fine Granny.  You've gots the "know-how", hopefully your fingers will have the "can-do".  I will be the first to admit, those heatsink clips are not our friends.  Hopefully you have a cool temper.  *Smash, smash, smash*  lol
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 03:51:43 am »

Regarding thermal paste: I use carburetor cleaner, available at auto parts stores. That stuff will take off the most stubborn gunk. Use sparingly in well ventilated area.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 06:36:51 am »

Whaaaa?  I had you pegged wrong!  Well then again at 38 I could be a Grandpa.

I'm 47.  I don't mind admitting my age.  It's even in my Blogger profile. 

I am anything but sexist, but I have to agree that women that dig into computer nuts and bolts isn't exactly the norm in any culture.  I personally don't know any women (aside from some message boards) that are even willing to try it.

That used to be true but it isn't anymore.  Get onto one of the LinuxChix lists (all but one are open to men and men are about 40% of techtalk) and you'll meet thousands of them from all over the world.  I also suspect that there is a significant minority of those with gender neutral nicks on this forum that are women.  Basically if you make assumptions about what women can do, should do, or are likely to do based on cultural stereotypes you are pretty much being sexist even if that never was your intention.  Heck, IME probably the majority of those (both men and women) who say sexist things or act in a sexist manner are often unaware that they're doing it.  They certainly didn't mean any harm.

Once upon a time, maybe six or seven years ago, I walked into CompUSA to buy a boxed Linux version.  First off I liked to support the distro I was using at the time and I certainly didn't have a high speed connection yet.  The oh-so-helpful young salesman saw what I was looking at and tried to explain that Linux was probably too difficult for me.  He only wanted to help.  Really!  You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was a Senior Network Engineer at IBM (I was at the time, not anymore) and that I worked with UNIX/Linux professionally.  BTW, he just walked away as quickly as he could without a word.  No apology, nothing.

It's even worse when my Mom walks into any store dealing with technology.  They assume a woman her age can't program a VCR let alone plug an additional stick of memory into her computer, which she does just fine, thankyouverymuch  Grin

I'm intrigued that GrannyGeek does all the "geeky" things that she does.  I don't know if she is a older Grandma, or if she is closer to my age.  But she has my complete respect, as I could never imagine my mother successfully plugging in a computer, let alone giving one a overhaul.  I'm impressed with you as well Caitlyn, you know some stuff.

After 27 years working in the field I'd be in big trouble if I didn't "know some stuff".  I know many women who know much more stuff than I do.  You know, like a couple of women who hack the kernel and and maintain bits of it. 

You've gots the "know-how", hopefully your fingers will have the "can-do".

Precisely, and that has nothing to do with gender.  All it takes is a willingness to learn.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 06:41:04 am by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:48:06 am »

Good advice, I'd also add the RAM before putting the Mother Board back in the case, sometimes the board flexes when on the stand offs in the case, and that can cause damage...

Been there, done that back in the day when it was a truly expensive mistake.

also its usually far easier when the board is out to do these things, more room!  One of my pet hates in building machines is poorly labeled mother boards, especially for front panel connectors!

I've been known to let out an expletive or two over that.  I've pretty much stopped building machines because it's so inexpensive to buy a new one these days.  Upgrades, sure, I do those, but often it's just easiest and cheapest to buy already built.

Next up for me:  one of the Nano-ITX boxes using a 4GB flash device in lieu of a hard drive.  Hate to say it but it's going to be loaded with either Wolvix-Cub or AliXe in a frugal install as I want the OS entirely cached into RAM to reduce I/O to the MTD to the absolute minimum.  I can't do that with Vector Linux unless I customize it heavily and remaster using the Linux-Live scripts.  Wolvix and AliXe do what I want right out of the virtual box on a machine with >= 512MB of RAM.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:03:46 am »

The woman who's my downstairs neighbor is a serious computer and Linux nerd, and so are a lot of her friends, female and male.  Her boyfriend, on the other hand, is about as completely non-technical as you can be in today's world.  So much for stereotypes.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:07:12 am »

AliXe: Je me souviens. I'm guessing you don't think SLAX is trim enough. Why not SLAX?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_me_souviens
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:59:28 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 07:42:09 am »

Next up for me:  one of the Nano-ITX boxes using a 4GB flash device in lieu of a hard drive.  Hate to say it but it's going to be loaded with either Wolvix-Cub or AliXe in a frugal install as I want the OS entirely cached into RAM to reduce I/O to the MTD to the absolute minimum.  I can't do that with Vector Linux unless I customize it heavily and remaster using the Linux-Live scripts.  Wolvix and AliXe do what I want right out of the virtual box on a machine with >= 512MB of RAM.

It is my understanding that a live OS installed to a flash device only reads from that device, and that reads are not destructive. at least not as destructive as writes. is this not true?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:52:08 am »

It is my understanding that a live OS installed to a flash device only reads from that device, and that reads are not destructive. at least not as destructive as writes. is this not true?

From what I understand, and I am no expert, is that reads are less destructive than writes, yes, but not totally without cost.

If you want to make VL-Live on memory stick or flash device truly special here's what I'd do:

1.  Use jffs2 for the filesystem.  That's the second generation native journaling flash filesystem developed by RedHat for their embedded device development.  Nobody is doing that yet.

2.  Create a mini version that can run in 512MB of RAM.  If you look at AliXe or Wolvix-Cub they've managed to cram a very nice set of apps into that space.  I'd also like it to fit on an 8cm mini-CDR, much like Slax and GoblinX mini do. 

I am seriously thinking about trying to create what I've described myself.  If I succeed I'd be happy to share the results.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 07:55:46 am »

AliXe: Je me souviens. I'm guessing you don't think SLAX is trim enough. Why not SLAX?

You guessed it.  Slax is smaller in terms of the iso size but it won't run in RAM at 512MB.  It needs more.  Xfce 4.4.1 is also considerably faster than KDE.  AliXe is also a wonderful model of internationalization/localization of a small distro for a second language.  Finally... je parle fran├žais.  My mother is Parisian and I still have family in France.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: