VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 02:07:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 070816 - Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6  (Read 7318 times)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 07:12:22 am »

His has all the headers.  Also built without --disable-test so there are many test binaries included.  Oh yeah *cough* stripping  Smiley

Edit:  I just checked one that I built from source last week (I've been dinking with FF also).  It weighs in at 7.1 MB also.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:21:57 am by exeterdad » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 01:06:12 am »

Hmmm...I do have some code for stipping debug code in the slackbuild, but I'll rebuild this with the --disable-test flag.

BTW, exeterdad also pointed out that this build may be "ilegal", since the Mozilla foundation only allows one to use the Firefox name (--enable-official-branding) with permission from them. Sad
If I don't use the official branding, firefox will be called "Bon Echo", or something lame like that.

I don't know if the same also applies to seamonkey, there don't seem to have been any problems on that front, using the official seamonkey branding....

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 01:27:27 am »

BTW, exeterdad also pointed out that this build may be "ilegal", since the Mozilla foundation only allows one to use the Firefox name (--enable-official-branding) with permission from them. Sad
If I don't use the official branding, firefox will be called "Bon Echo", or something lame like that.

Call it 'Infringe-tastic'.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 05:26:50 am »

If I don't use the official branding, firefox will be called "Bon Echo",

You are correct, it will be named Bon Echo.  It will still have the firefox name for the executable, but the familiar orange and blue "fox" icon will be no more.

We can however rebrand Firefox and make our own special version.  We have the artists.  We can make it very special.  I think it would be nice to do so and have a custom default start page (stored locally) with links to everything a newbie would find important.  Namely the VectorLinux documentation that is on the hard drive, the Vectorlinux homepage, and forums.  And also have pre installed links to the same things if and when the user changes the start page to their own start page.  Kinda like Konqueror does, putting useful information right up front when the user loads the browser.

Here's what the "Bon Echo" browser looks like. 

Really nothing different other than the blue globe image.  The start menu and taskbar icons would also be the blue globe.  Which I might add are not trademarked and we would be free to modify.  Honestly, our blue VL icon would slide right under the hood with no efforts.  At compile time we could set what we would like our browser to be called.  Instead of executing "Firefox" we could be executing "VL-Firefox" or whatever we would like.

It's a bummer, but I can understand why Mozilla is so picky about the logos.  They don't want to be stuck with bug reports that aren't their fault.  Distributors may redistribute unmodified firefox binaries freely (the precompiled ones from the Mozilla site).  But if you compile a copy to distribute, or tweak settings of a precompiled version, they don't want to be associated with it.  So therefore they want their trademarks removed to avoid confusion to the user.  Debian debated with Mozilla for a very long time and finally dropped firefox and distributed their own re branded version...  Ice weasel.

If the bigger distros can't get Mozilla's blessing, it's unlikely we will either.  Mozilla does have a legal team and the finances to back them up.  We on the other hand... well you know the deal.

easuter:

Try skipping the "make install" part of the build.  Instead launch this command from within the @topdir (mozilla).

make -C xpinstall/packager STRIP=/bin/true

When completed you will find a "firefox" folder within mozilla/dist.  This will be a complete firefox installation.  With only what is needed to run firefox.  No includes, pkgconfig, nothing.  Just like Mozilla's official builds.  That's how to achive a 7 MB package.  Well that and --enable-strip --enable-strip-libs --disable-tests --disable-debug --disable-installer added to your existing config.  You will still need to create /usr/bin with a sym link to the firefox shell script in the lib folder.  You will also find a firefox-2.0.0.6.en-US.linux-i686.tar.gz sitting right there containing all the same files that can be unpacked and run anywhere.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 11:28:43 am »

Just did a quick and dirty "Rebrand" with the stock VL logo.  This was kinda fun!

Notice how the credits slide behind our logo?  There are tons of things that can be done.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 11:38:24 am »

Hehe, that looks pretty cool exeterdad.
Not quite sure about the use of "firefox" in the name...
Here is the official trademark policy:

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html

I've contacted Mozilla asking for permission to continue distributing this package (and all the build info is available for them to see), so hopefully it might not have to be removed after all Smiley

exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 11:49:49 am »

Oh I completely agree about the use of "firefox" in the name.  I was fooling around just for proof of concept.  That's cool you asked Mozilla for permission.  Let's cross our fingers.  I would hate to lose the familiar firefox logos.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 02:11:05 pm »

Try skipping the "make install" part of the build.  Instead launch this command from within the @topdir (mozilla).

make -C xpinstall/packager STRIP=/bin/true

exeterdad, your tip works great  Smiley This leaves all the basic files in mozilla/dist/firefox in the same layout as the official Firefox distribution does.
I'll have 5vl58 up tomorrow, also with a slightly changed slack-desc too to comply with the Mozilla® trademark policy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:46:51 pm by easuter » Logged

exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 03:49:05 pm »

exeterdad, your tip works great

Glad I could help my friend  Grin
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 04:24:44 pm »

Well, here is 5vl58 in the testing repo:

Source: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/source/testing/net/firefox
Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing/net/firefox-2.0.0.6-i586-5vl58.tlz

The package is 8.1MB Smiley
So far the new directory structure doesn't seem to cause any problems here, so it will take 4vl58's place in patches/ as soon as it can be confirmed to work by more people.

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 07:21:35 am »

Ok, 6vl58 is out (and hopefully the last for 2.0.0.6).
Shaved of a few more test files, the package weighs at 7.9MB:

Source: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/source/testing/net/firefox
Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing/net/firefox-2.0.0.6-i586-6vl58.tlz

Code:
firefox: Mozilla® Firefox® Web Browser
firefox:
firefox: Firefox 2 is the next generation release of the award-winning
firefox: Firefox web browser from Mozilla.
firefox:
firefox: Website: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
firefox: License: Mozilla Public License, version 1.1
firefox:
firefox: Mozilla® and Firefox® are registered trademarks of the Mozilla
firefox: foundation.

If this works as well as 4vl58, then it can be moved along to patches/.

exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 08:46:41 am »

Installs = Great
Browsed it = Great
Took to Plugger test grounds = Great
Took to youtube.com = Great
VL Tweaks = Great
Directory tree for langpack compatibility = Great
Load time compared to repack version = Great

I feel it's ready to move to patches.

How many compile hours do you have into this crazy package?  12 or more?

Great job as usual easuter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:50:32 am by exeterdad » Logged
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 09:11:01 am »

Cool, its moved then (original message changed to reflect that).

How many compile hours do you have into this crazy package?  12 or more?

I prefer not to keep track of that...

Thanks for all your input too Smiley

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 04:46:21 am »

I had some problems with gslapt to get the 6vl58 package so I manually downloaded it from the testing repo and did as root "upgradepkg firefox...". I previously had 1vl58, I hope that was the right way to upgrade the package?
Now I removed the 6vl58 from my desktop since I don't think I needed it anymore.
Will there be problems then with the next update regarding Firefox?
Thanks in advance! Smiley

Great package again, easuter, as always Smiley

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 04:56:45 am »

That's interesting.  I installed with gslapt without issues.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: