VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Installing Tomorrow  (Read 1950 times)

yuklop

Installing Tomorrow
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:57 am »

Dear All

I have decided to put Vector Linux std on my old laptop as it seems a good distro to get the most from the hardware. I'm not completely green to Linux as I have had a gentoo install in the past, but decided that gentoo occupied too much time keeping it all working exactly as it should. Hopefully Vector should be a little less demanding. Just as a first opinion: My laptop has no bootable cd-rom. It has a external firewire cd-rom. I can sort the Vector boot floppies but I suspect that the install files will not be found on the firewire cd-rom. Are my suspicions correct? If they are would the best way to install be by copying the contents of the install cd to a separate partition on the hdd and point the installer to that?

Thanks you your time. Oh and hello, I look forward to running Vector. :)

Dan

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Installing Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:20:20 pm »

Hi yuklop.

I'm glad you decided to give VL a chance.

As for your suspicions... you're probabbly right.. it might not find the install files..

If you have a bootable system or a Wind OS version installed, I'd recommend you do a direct iso install from the hard disc itself... it should be much more pailess than trying to get that fire-fire cdrom to work with no drivers loaded.

Here is a guide that might help you get going in the right direction:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_linux

and in case you have a Wind OS install
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

HTH

Triarius Fidelis

• Vecteloper
  • Vectorian
  • Domine, exaudi vocem meam
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 02:51:33 am »

Hello yuklop!

May I ask what 'yuklop' means? Only curious.
"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months

yuklop

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:08 am »

Sure. I had to think of a tag way back when I was only young for a game on my amiga! I came up with yuklop as the keys are right next to each other. Its was qucik and easy to type and now online noone else has it. So it has stuck.

Got vector installed very quickly. Very simple once I had got a kernel that supported ide properly. Now I guess the real fun starts trying to get my firewire cdrom to work and the usb wireless dongle!

Dan