VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 11:24:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I installed KSensors....can't find the program.  (Read 4612 times)
Nobody

« on: August 16, 2007, 08:04:58 pm »

I installed my first program ever not using a manager (I'm a Linux novice).
I downloaded KSensors 0.7.3 onto my desktop.
I extracted the files.
I brought up a terminal, went into the KSensors directory and ran the configure file.  It ran just fine.
I typed in make.  It went just fine.
I typed in make install.  It went fine too.
I typed in make clean.  No problem.
I looked for a KSensors program.  Nothing.
In the install text it says that the files are usually installed in the /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/man.  They aren't.  I searched for KSensor* files on the entire hard drive and came upon a bunch that were marked inaccessible, but none of them looked liked the main program.
Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 11:52:53 pm »

It's common to tell configure where to put the files. For instance, if I want the binary (executable) to install to /usr/bin, I can use
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
That way binaries will go into /usr/bin/ , images / sound files into /usr/share/ etc. If you don't specify a prefix, most programs assume that the prefix = /usr/local, so the most logical place to look would be /usr/local/bin. for kde programs, VL uses --prefix=/opt/kde

Instead of "make install", try using
Code:
checkinstall -L
This will create a .tlz vector package that you can easily install and remove. It won't exactly be repo ready but it works great. Also, you'll be able to search for the binary in the package info file:
Code:
grep bin/ /var/log/packages/ksensors-0.7.3

"make clean" just cleans the building directory. The best way to get a clean building directory is to remove the thing and extract the tarball again. It's not needed after installing something.

Try searching for ksensor instead (no capitals!), that should find you something. Also, if you're using slocate make sure you run "updatedb" first, as files that are newly installed are not in the database yet.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Nobody

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:38:19 am »

I tried checkinstall and I kept getting told that it didn't exist.  So I Googled around and discovered that for make install or checkinstall you have to be in root mode (told ya I was a novice  Tongue).  So I used su to get into root mode and then ran checkinstall -L.
Everything seemed to work as there is now a ksensors executable program in usr/bin, except it doesn't do anything.  When I first double clicked it and it started to show up on the taskbar, but then vanished, and when I've tried double clicking it anytime afterwards, nothing happens.  I tried logging into root mode and and add write permission to the group (group only had read permission) but that didn't make any difference.  I even tried running it from a terminal, but that doesn't work.  It doesn't give an error message or anything.
Well, at any rate it's 2:31 in the morning here, so I'm off to bed.  I can try to play around with it some more tomorrow.
Thank you for your help.

It's common to tell configure where to put the files. For instance, if I want the binary (executable) to install to /usr/bin, I can use
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
That way binaries will go into /usr/bin/ , images / sound files into /usr/share/ etc. If you don't specify a prefix, most programs assume that the prefix = /usr/local, so the most logical place to look would be /usr/local/bin. for kde programs, VL uses --prefix=/opt/kde

Instead of "make install", try using
Code:
checkinstall -L
This will create a .tlz vector package that you can easily install and remove. It won't exactly be repo ready but it works great. Also, you'll be able to search for the binary in the package info file:
Code:
grep bin/ /var/log/packages/ksensors-0.7.3

"make clean" just cleans the building directory. The best way to get a clean building directory is to remove the thing and extract the tarball again. It's not needed after installing something.

Try searching for ksensor instead (no capitals!), that should find you something. Also, if you're using slocate make sure you run "updatedb" first, as files that are newly installed are not in the database yet.
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:41:42 am »

The most recent version of KSensors is three years old, so I would be inclined to try something different, such as GKrellm (which is in the repos) or SuperKaramba.

Out of curiosity I just downloaded SuperKaramba, and it built and installed with no issues at all on my VL5.8-SOHO system, and added a KDE menu entry in the right place. When I've got a moment I'll package it up for the repos.

Eric
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 05:04:06 am »

The most recent version of KSensors is three years old, so I would be inclined to try something different

Another option is conky, which is in the testing repository.
Although it might need a bit of tweaking and has some issues with drawing directly to the root window in KDE.
It works fine if you keep it in its own window, though.

You might need to install lm_sensors for it to show temperatures, voltages and whatever else.

(I'll be uploading a new conky package soon, that already contains a customized preferences file).

EDIT: I've just checked, and ksensors is actually a frontend to lm_sensors... Do you have lm_sensors installed?
Maybe that is why it isn't working...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:06:27 am by wcs » Logged
Nobody

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 09:18:51 am »

roseway, I have GKrellm but it doesn't seem to do what I want, which is show the temp of the CPU.  A few days ago on my VL computer I put in a new CPU and I just want to make sure that the fan and heatsink from my old CPU are adaquite.  The computer seems to be running OK, but I just want to be sure.
wcs, thank you, but when I tried to look up conky in gslapt, but it doesn't come up.  And yes, I already have lm_sensors installed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:30:10 am by Nobody » Logged
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 09:54:12 am »

You have to set up lm_sensors before any of these utilities will display temperatures and fan speeds.

As root, type 'sensors-detect' (without the quotes). The script asks you several questions, to which you can generally just hit Enter to give the default response.
At the end of the process, the script will display a list of relevant commands, and ask if you want it to add these commands to your startup scripts. Answer Yes.
Now reboot and run GKrellm again; right-click on it and select 'Configuration'. In the 'Builtins' section you should now be able to set up the sensors you want.

Eric
Nobody

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:17:16 pm »

Well, I tried it and it didn't work.  So I tried running lm_sensors and was told that it couldn't find any sensors.  So either I didn't quiet do things right, or else it's the motherboard itself that's the problem.
I'm leaning towards the motherboard because when I tried installing a program called Motherboard Monitor (A Windows program, I have Wine installed) I had to stop installation when I saw that my specific motherboard (msi 6191) wasn't on the list of supported motherboards.
Anyway, the computer has been running fine since the cpu upgrade so I'm fairly sure that the cpu isn't overheating. 
Thank you all for your help.

You have to set up lm_sensors before any of these utilities will display temperatures and fan speeds.

As root, type 'sensors-detect' (without the quotes). The script asks you several questions, to which you can generally just hit Enter to give the default response.
At the end of the process, the script will display a list of relevant commands, and ask if you want it to add these commands to your startup scripts. Answer Yes.
Now reboot and run GKrellm again; right-click on it and select 'Configuration'. In the 'Builtins' section you should now be able to set up the sensors you want.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:45:01 pm »

Did you run the command "sensors-detect" as root in a terminal?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Nobody

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 08:07:11 pm »

Yes.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:08:25 am »

Well, I tried it and it didn't work

What was the output from sensors-detect? Did it actually detect any sensors after your "Yes" responses?
If so, I would say the problem has to do with the loading of the required modules and not with the motherboard.
Nobody

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 10:50:07 am »

It literally said that it couldn't detect any sensors.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 11:56:20 am »

As for me, then, I'm lost as to what can be done...
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 12:15:28 pm »

Are you sure that the MSI 6191 has any sensors? Their website does not indicate one way or the other that I could find. (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=348&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=)

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 01:22:36 pm »

Given that fact and the fact that WinXP software couldn't detect any either I'd say there is a 95% chance that mobo has no sensor chip, it is not working, or is so weird that it is not detected. I'd say you are out of luck. Most modern BIOSes have a diagnostic page that shows CPU temperature and PS voltages. I would get into your BIOS setup and see if it has such a page and if there is any data there.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: