VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 04:17:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running out of harddisk space  (Read 1305 times)
kalltorp

« on: August 17, 2007, 08:26:39 am »

I just installed VL 5.8 SOHO on an old 366 MHz laptop with 64 mb RAM. My linux partition is only 2.4 GB, so now I have only some 30 Mb of diskspace left. Question: Can I uninstall KDE to get more disk space?  KDE is too slow anyway, and I am happy with Fluxbox/Blackbox. If so, how is that done? Anythíng else that I could get rid of to save disk space? Thanks, Christer
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:58:29 am »

I'm not sure you can remove kde without consequences and repercussions, but it sure beats having just 30 MB of harddrive space left. All the kde packages can be found and removed with gslapt / slapt-get.

However, if I were you I'd try 5.8 standard instead. If you remove the kde* packages you'll loose a lot of useful programs. for instance, without kdebase you won't have a filemanager (konqueror is part of kdebase).

But then again you can also search for replacements once you find out what you're missing. For instance, try "slapt-get --search filemanager" and you'll find Thunar and xfe.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:59:08 am »

Instead of uninstalling KDE you may want to consider VL 5.8-std Gold and a "clean" install.

EDIT: Oops, sorry TH just few seconds too late...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:00:41 am by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: