VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 02:23:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector linux on USB drive  (Read 11994 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:02 am »

try using changes=/mnt/sdb2_removable and see if that works
aixuser01

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 12:39:10 pm »

nope, that didnt work either.

Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 01:21:35 pm »

i am guessing that vl-hot maybe getting in the way here.
your sdb2 is being mounted twice once by the live scripts and another time by vl-hot.

try copying the file /etc/udev/vl-hot.conf to rootcopy/etc/udev/vl-hot.conf and add
EXCLUDED_DEVICE="/dev/sdb2"
to the end of it

let us know if that works,
Uelsk8s
aixuser01

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 05:28:52 am »

ok, copied /etc/udev/vl-hot.conf to rootcopy and made the change. After boot the new file is in /etc/udev where it should be

# Gambas configuration file 1.0
# for vl-hot-config
COPYRIGHT="(c) Vector Linux, 2005"
AUTHOR="Part of VL-Hot by Joe1962"
LICENSE="Licensed under the GPL v2"
VL_HOT_RELEASE="1.0.0"
DIAG=1
MOUNT_PATH="/mnt/vl-hot"
ICON="/usr/share/pixmaps/vl-hot.png"
MOUNTSYNC="noatime"
NTFSIO="rw"
NTFS3G=1
NTFSNLS="iso8859-15"
FATCODEPAGE="437"
FATIOCHARSET="iso8859-15"
EXCLUDED_DEVICE="/dev/sdb2"

However the excluded_device does not seem to work ad sdb2 is still being mounted by vl-hot.
I even tried "EXCLUDED_DEVICE="/dev/sdb" but that didnt work either.

root:# mount
tmpfs on / type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type vfat (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /mnt/sda2 type ntfs (ro)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devgid=10,devmode=0666)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/vl-hot/sdb/vol1 type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=0,gid=100,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,quiet,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-15)
/dev/sdb2 on /mnt/vl-hot/sdb/vol2 type ext2 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sdb1_removable type vfat (rw)
/dev/sdb2 on /mnt/sdb2_removable type ext2 (rw)

Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 06:22:51 am »

There are some moules from slax that may help here.
this is just one of them: http://www.slax.org/modules.php?category=system&id=2568&name=Slax+Complete+Automatic+Save+Module
download it and put it in your modules dir

ill try this on another usb drive and see what i can come up with as well

Uelsk8s
aixuser01

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 07:25:01 am »

is there some conf needed for this mod? It seems like it is looking for something.

after placing it in the mod dir, logging in as root makes the os reboot
logging in as vl gives me

cp: cannot stat `/mnt/sda*/slax/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/mnt/hda*/slax/*': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/sda*/slax': No such file or directory
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/hda*/slax': No such file or directory
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
cp: target `/mnt/sda*/slax' is not a directory
cp: target `/mnt/hda*/slax' is not a directory
bash: init: command not found

when I try to su - root the machine reboots. as well.

stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:19 am »

Upon inspection of the module, it just runs this script:
#!/bin/bash
cp -rfv /mnt/sda*/slax/* /
cp -rfv /mnt/hda*/slax/* /
mkdir /mnt/sda*/slax
mkdir /mnt/hda*/slax
startx
cp -rfv /{bin,boot,etc,home,lib,opt,root,sbin,usr,var} /mnt/sda*/slax
cp -rfv /{bin,boot,etc,home,lib,opt,root,sbin,usr,var} /mnt/hda*/slax
init 6

I have absolutely no idea why it would do this (ie, copying / to all mounted hd's). I am not sure about the init 6 part, but I think inittab is disabled in slax. To be honest, I don't think this thing would be really useful...

EDIT: I'll try to make a save module myself.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:41:57 am by stoichyu » Logged

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
aixuser01

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:50 am »

hmm, well it would be great to have one that worked. so the "changes=xxxxx" at boot time does not work? I am now confused. uelsk8s says he got it to work, but I sure can't. But you're talking about writting a mod to do it kind of implies it doesnt ( because if it did you would not need to write it).

stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 10:32:39 am »

I got it! (Working from the VL-livecd w/ save now) The reason why changes=xxxx didn't work at first is that usb is initially set to off. In your append line, add "probeusb". By default it's off so it can't find the save file or save partition in the ufd. If you do that, you can specify your ext2 partition on the ufd for saves. The save file method also works, if you'd rather have the flash drive as one whole fat partition.

cd <path to flashdrive>
touch save.dat #filename of choice
dd if=/dev/zero of=save.dat bs=1 seek=<size in mb>M count=0
mkfs.xfs save.dat

Then, in your syslinux.cfg put "changes=save.dat"

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
aixuser01

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 01:28:55 pm »

stoichyu, that got it! edited /etc/hosts changed root password rebooted and the changes were there!

I want to offer my thanks to uelsk8s and gacl as well. I was going out of my mind trying to understand how to get this done and you all really went above and beyond.

I read all kinds of articles about how great Vector Linux is, but I think what sets it apart from ALL the others is the community.

Old hardware to run VL  $50, dsl connection $30, Vector Linux community : priceless.

Thank you all once again!

Here is what I did.

downloaded and burned the vl 5.8 live cd
booted from the cd
used fdisk to create 2 partitions on my usb drive

usb drive is 1GB in size, partition 1 was fat16 800MB partition 2 ext2 and 200mb ( to be used as the change storage area)

ran mkfs.ext2 on part 2
rebooted into windows, copied all the files off the live cd to the fat16 part on the usb drive
ran syslinux to make the partition boot-able
renamed isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg on part1 of the usb drive
edited the syslinux.cfg file ( the same one just renamed)
added "probeusb changes=/dev/sdb2" to the append line of the label linux stanza
booted to the usb drive and bingo! everything works!

while doing this I learned that the rootcopy dir in the first partition of the USB ( which means its also on the live cd which is kind of odd because you cant actually use it ) is a place where you can make changes to files and at boot time those files are copied into your live boot. I had a bunch of scripts I wanted in /usr/local/bin so I created usr/local/bin in the rootcopy dir and added my scripts there. At boot time they got copied to /usr/local/bin. very cool.

This might make a nice howto, but I'm not sure if
a: anyone thinks it would be worth it
b: where would I put it if I wrote it.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 04:19:29 pm »

Congratulations! Great work. I think a howto would be nice, since looks like there is some demand on this. In the same direction, it will bring more experience and testing on the subject for future development, if the demand continues. I will give it a try on my old pendrive if I can make the time. Thanks for the thread!

PS: I think is not convenient to write in the howtos section before we get the old ones back. May be it could go in The Lounge and we could move it later.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 05:52:53 am »

I would like to add my support for this being made a How-To - I currently use Puppy as my USB-bootable (I is being patriotic Shocked ) and while I quite like Puppy, I find I still prefer Vector.  Having Vector available to me on any machine I can boot from USB with would be quite a bonus in my mind (even moreso as I'm beginning to find XP clunky when compared to my Vista rig and my various Vector machines).

Yep, wouldn't mind SOHO 5.8 on USB Smiley

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 06:01:54 am »

I receive a local linux magazine by mail, they use to ship a cd with cool sources, packages, scripts, patches and things like that. I got from there a Puppy iso which can boot from the usb install or just run inside a running Windows with qemu out of the box! I didnt try it yet, but apparently, if you plug it in a win box, it just lunch qemu and you get puppy in a window. If you boot with the usb flashdrive you get just the regular puppy. Cool.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: