VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Skype not working, Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed  (Read 6367 times)

apock627

Skype not working, Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:59:06 am »

Hi. Using VLSOHO 5.8, kernel 2.6.22.1
Trying to run skype for linux 1.4, have tried both static and dynamic executables.

Initially failed with error about libstdc++ and cxxlibs, fixed by downloading cxxlibs package and copying libstdc++ as suggested in a post somewhere, I've forgotten the details. This was the same as i had to do to get skype working with VLstandard 5.8 and it worked fine then.

Now skype fails with
Code: [Select]
skype: xcb_xlib.c:41: xcb_xlib_lock: Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed.
Aborted

whether starting as user or root.

Can anyone suggest a next step?
Thanks

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
Re: Skype not working, Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:08:23 am »

If you don't mind, you could use an older version of skype, 1.3.0.53, which is known to work in VL. The new skype uses a new version of qt which might cause those problems, not really sure though.
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836

apock627

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:12:14 am »

Thanks, good suggestion.
BTW though the static version was working fine with VLstandard 5.8, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a glitch with qt4 now.
Only problem now is I can't find any older versions to download. Even the pages titled skype for linux 1.3.0 etc have links that now point to version 1.4.
Anyone know where I could find an older version?
Thanks

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:42:02 am »

Have you upgrade Xorg in your 5.8 install by any chance?... I've seen this error before on other applications, I think it's xorg related.

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

BTW though the static version was working fine with VLstandard 5.8, but that doesn't mean there couldn't be a glitch with qt4 now.
It's possible that the qt4 was built against a different version of X. (Note: I have no idea how static packages work.)

I couldn't find one for download, so I just uploaded the one I have. You can download it here: http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/26/239698/skype-1.3.0.53-generic.tar.bz2
There's no place like ~.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:44:40 am »

QT4 should be ok... I'm almost sure this problem is due to an xorg upgrade on the user's part... I've seen this before.

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 11:54:23 am »

QT4 should be ok... I'm almost sure this problem is due to an xorg upgrade on the user's part... I've seen this before.

It does appear that way...

I also found out the reason why the old skype binary isn't available for download. Skype-1.3.0.53 uses GIPS for the sound codec, and apparently, GIPS terminated the license and it can no longer distribute it. I might probably take down the download after a few days.
There's no place like ~.

apock627

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:41:42 am »

Thanks to all and thanks esp. for upload, I have taken advantage but can't tell you if it works yet. Day has been to long already.

Apart from modifying xorg.conf for my synaptics touchpad I haven't mucked around with Xorg at all.
One thing I have mucked around with a lot is the kernel so there may well be a kernel config option to blame.

Will post back with 1.3.0 results.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 06:51:19 am »

Apart from modifying xorg.conf for my synaptics touchpad I haven't mucked around with Xorg at all.

And you're sure this is SOHO 5.8, not SOHO 5.8.6RC1?

apock627

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 07:52:17 am »

My apologies, yes it is RC1.
I would rather not start with a new VL installation - is there something easily correctible?

skype 1.3.0.53 starts and can chat. Can't test sound yet.

Thanks

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:47:57 am »

So it is indeed an xorg problem...
I think the xorg package that shipped with 5.8.6 is bad. I've built many after that, but not on a clean environment... so they're no good for you.

I am working on a new build... Hope to have it available by the end of the week.

apock627

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:47:05 am »

I've built xorg before when I was playing with linuxfromscratch but it's a bit of a stretch for me and I really don't have time right now. So if you're going to gift-wrap it for me i can only say........ Thanks!

apock627

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 07:55:56 am »

For anyone who finds this thread later, MOE-lnx's latest xorg-7.2 package fixes this problem. Thank you