VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 03:06:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: avisynth.dll where to find  (Read 8446 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: August 19, 2007, 01:11:59 am »

With mplayer I can't play certain videos since it cannot find avisynth.dll. I searched far and wide for it unsuccessfully. I do not have Windows so I can't copy it from there or download the .exe file for it.

What is the solution for mplayer?

Totem will play the same url w/o complaining.

Regards

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:58:01 pm by Pita » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 01:41:47 am »

You can use wine to install avisynth's .exe file, and then you should be able to copy it to the location where all the other codecs are:
cp /home/me/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/avisynth.dll /usr/lib/codecs/
I have not tested if video's that need avisynth work after that as I have not encountered any AFAIK.

PS.  It seems a little odd to me that mplayer needs to use a .dll, as avisynth is opensource... I suppose it was easier or something 'cuz they already use a lot of other .dll's

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Karnizero

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:49:34 am »

You can use wine to install avisynth's .exe file, and then you should be able to copy it to the location where all the other codecs are:
cp /home/me/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/avisynth.dll /usr/lib/codecs/
I have not tested if video's that need avisynth work after that as I have not encountered any AFAIK.

PS.  It seems a little odd to me that mplayer needs to use a .dll, as avisynth is opensource... I suppose it was easier or something 'cuz they already use a lot of other .dll's

Then you can try to compile avisynth under your linux Grin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 06:58:55 am »

http://www.nodevice.com/dll/avisynth_dll/item2225.html

good luck!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »

Thank you so much exeterdad et all. So my search was not wide enough and I spent half an afternoon.

Now mplayer does not complain anymore not finding this dll, however, it still will not play those particular urls. No error messages. I will have to do with totem which is a pity since mplayer gives a better picture and more continuous streaming.

Regards
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:12:15 am »

Totem is just a gnome front end for Xine. Perhaps Xine works a little better since it doesn't have to drag all that gnome stuff along with it?

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 05:07:55 am »

So my search was not wide enough and I spent half an afternoon

According to Google.  MANY people have unsuccessfully been searching for that .dll.  I think I hit the lucky keywords, because it only took about 10 minutes to find it.

One thing about compiling/configuring linux apps.  You soon become a seasoned "Googler".  I give my "Linux from Scatch" days credit for that.

It's funny.  Coming to VL was refreshing as I got tired of spending so much time compiling apps and all the deps to make my machine productive (my LFS).  Now I'm packaging for VL, and in many ways it's harder because now I need to script the build so others may use it.  Were is that "headscratch smilie" when you need it?
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:15:37 am »

So my search was not wide enough and I spent half an afternoon

According to Google.  MANY people have unsuccessfully been searching for that .dll.

strace may be of some help here.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 08:05:50 pm »

So it seems the ideal media player has yet to be developed. Xine would not open the particular url. I got the latest gxine from slackware and it is playing what I want well. Realplayer doe it too, however, the streaming is bad. In both, realplayer and gxine I can start playing video urls from the playlist. Totem does this not, etc, etc. So each player has its own peculiarities. Good that there is a choice, guess thanks to Linux.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »

One thing about compiling/configuring linux apps.  You soon become a seasoned "Googler".  I give my "Linux from Scatch" days credit for that.

One of my friends said I "could probably find alcohol for free on the Internet". (He was smashed at the time, in more than one way.)

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 08:36:38 pm »

So it seems the ideal media player has yet to be developed. Xine would not open the particular url. I got the latest gxine from slackware and it is playing what I want well. Realplayer doe it too, however, the streaming is bad. In both, realplayer and gxine I can start playing video urls from the playlist. Totem does this not, etc, etc. So each player has its own peculiarities. Good that there is a choice, guess thanks to Linux.

Again, strace might help. What is the URL?

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 09:06:28 pm »

FWIW, VLC might be another option for media playing.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 12:06:26 am »

What "the ideal media player" is depends on what you want from it. For instance, I'll stay away from realplayer because it's proprietary and I had some bad experiences with it on Win DOS. Everything that requires gnome is a nono, becuase I don't have or want gnome. so in my case, kaffeine does most of the things I want.

I think the people who offer media in uncommon formats are partly to blame. If you want people to view your vids you shouldn't offer them in some obscure format.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 12:12:47 am »

* hanumizzle checks Sveriges Radio petition

480 signatures w00t!

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 02:50:23 am »