VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 03:20:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $139 Madtux computer  (Read 4595 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: August 14, 2007, 02:15:40 pm »

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago.  I ordered it with the DVD option.  Fine machine and all that but it did not come loaded with Vector 5.8.  Rather it came with a utilities and a Vector 5.8 SOHO disk. And no operating system loaded.  Not liking SOHO, I loaded regular Vector 5.8 on it and had to do quite a bit of tweaking to get it to a) load and b) run once loaded.  For example, I had to turn the DSL on in Bios and learn that you get to bios with the delete key, rather than F2 or ESC.

I may have clicked the wrong this or that when ordering it, but I know I thought the machine would arrive loaded with Vector 5.8 (not SOHO) and was disappointed to have to load it myself.  With that caveat, I recommend it highly.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:08 pm »

I was also under the impression that the machine would be preloaded/configured and ready to go.  Hmmmm
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:02:18 pm »

I don't see what the point would be if it wasn't supposed to be preloaded... Shocked

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:17 am »

Perhaps the guys over at madtux had a bad day, but I'd like to know if this happens more often. If we misunderstood the Madtux guys, and they always do it like this, we should get rid of those machines. It's supposed to be a user friendly way of getting a computer + VL.
I loaded regular Vector 5.8 on it and had to do quite a bit of tweaking to get it to a) load and b) run once loaded.  For example, I had to turn the DSL on in Bios and learn that you get to bios with the delete key, rather than F2 or ESC.
That doesn't sound very user friendly to me. If I bought a computer with the impression it was ready to go, I would be really really reaaaallllyy disappointed if it wasn't. Of course I can take care of most my computer problems myself, but you can't expect newbies to do the same.

A newbie who bought one of those computers, only to find out no OS was installed yet would probably try installing it. But if (s)he didn't succeed (on a computer that was supposed to work just fine with Linux!!) giving up on Linux might not be such a strange thing (I've heard people give up for less).

I sure hope vector or metvas will ask madtux what happened here, if it is common, and will tell us what madtux had to say about it.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 07:36:24 am »

And what happens to the newbie that purchases the unit without the optional CD ROM drive?  That VL CD isn't going to mean squat to a newbie.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:26:25 am »

Hello:
Sorry to be late getting into this but there is an option when ordering that say "no operating system", perhaps that is the problem? I will ask Madtux to review your order if you can email me your ordering name. My email is metis1@mts.net
Thxs
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:58:59 am »

I ordered it on July 23, 2007 as john@lawquest.com.  My ticket number was 1505.  I also separately emailed them that same day reminding Madtux that I had ordered the machine "... loaded (I hope) with Vector 5.8" as I found the order process confusing on that point (If I recall correctly the online order form, which I reached by clicking Madtux from a Vector page, simply had no place to tell the vendor to send it loaded with Vector 5.Cool.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:44:29 pm »

Last note should have ended with "5.8" rather than 5. 8 (smiley).

John

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 06:56:00 pm »

Hello John:
Back to your difficulty. MadTux can only determine that there were no instructions to install VL 5.8
This I have to take at their discretion, as there is a process to create those parameters. So it is unfortunate that you did not receive what you thought you had ordered, however this appears to be an isolated instance. This is the single reporting of a situation like this.
The good news is you got a chance to meet us all at Vector. Welcome to the community. Please remember Vector Linux does not gain in any way from these sales. Our only revenue stream is for pre-paid technical help.
Trusting this concludes this issue to your satisfaction.
Regards
Darrell

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 08:37:36 am »

Thanks for the welcome and comments.  I wasn't trying to be niggardly.  I ordered the DVD and the 90 day email support. Total invoice including 3 day shipping:  $222.76.  I just didn't see a box to check to load Vector.  I may not have been looking as for some reason I thought the $139 machine came loaded with Vector as default.  Now I learn that the base machine price loaded with VL is, apparently, $164 (139 + 25) rather than $139.  That could be made a little more clear, I suspect. Oh well, live and learn.  A little puffing here and there never hurt anyone. It still seems a good deal to me at $164 and if my current one continues to work as well as its working, I fully expect to order a couple more, though this time with Vector 5.8 loaded and without the DVD or support.

John

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 08:34:15 pm »

Hi John:
Some confusion on our part as well, we to thought it was preloaded. I must admit that I never personally went through the process, but assumed the same. For that my apology. We should have spent more time on the process. When we began working with Madtux it required some discipline and timelines that HAD to be met. We have in the past not been so regimented and it took us by surprise as well as woke us up.
We have not yet received any notice from Madtux that you purchased pre-paid support. You would have received an email from me personally welcoming you to the process. I will inquire with them on this issue.
Again I am sorry for the confusion.
Best regards
Darrell

dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:36:16 am »

I have a strong interest in purchasing one of the base unit VL-100 pc's without dvd.  I intend to give it to my teenage daughter.  She is ready for a PC of her own and after getting a look at Windows Vista Home Basic there is no way that I am going to put her through having to use that clunky bug infested virus trap. 

Even so she needs a PC that is ready to go out of the box (with the anticipated minor exceptions that may come with integrating a new PC into the home network of course).  She is a creative person but has absolutely no tech savvy and cares not one whit what makes the thing work so well.  She, like most consumers only cares that it does work.

In exploring the Mad Tux web site it seems clear that they are offering the pc with VL pre-installed no matter what options are selected in the order process.  I have been through the process of customizing my order and placing it in the "Cart" where I have saved it.  I will execute the order when I see that this matter has been shown to be favorably resolved.

I remember reading somewhere (probably here on the forum) that the pre-loaded OS would be VL 5.8 SOHO but I cannot find confirmation of that in the Madtux online catalog.  I have also noted that Madtux offers the "OS installed" without support or one can select Vector Linux (+ 25.00) from the OS Installed drop down field.  This is confusing because the very next line in the form field offers VL support for 60 days by email for $24.99.  The prospective purchaser has no idea what the difference between the two referenced forms of support may be other than the fact that the latter specifies 60 day email support.

This field also offers the option to add a dvd +rw.  So it would seem quite clear that the OS is pre-installed by default regardless of any additional options selected by the purchaser.  In fact if I am reading it correctly, it is not possible to order the machine without the VL pre-installed.

The url for this page is:

http://store.madtux.org/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=311

I am quite curious as to whether not Madtux will be interested in clearing this up a bit since it does seem a tad messy.  There is no doubt in my mind that VL has become a superb operating system and continues to maintain an exceptional forum for its users so having a PC pre-installed with VL to begin converting family members to linux is just the ticket!  Wink

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 10:39:24 am by dawnsboy » Logged

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:00:14 am »

I hate to say whether it would be good for your daughter.  I can say that, once I got Vector 5.8 loaded and configured, the Madtux is one sweet, fast machine.  I got it for my 85 year old very bright but computer illiterate mother.  With iGoogle's home page as the default homepage, and Clearwire DSL, she loves it.  She just turns it on, clicks on the "world" icon at the bottom of her screen (loading Seamonkey) and that's it.  No problems. Her gmail and documents and Solitaire (she is experimenting with Google's Solitaire* - not the excellent one that comes with VL Games) are there on the same screen. She uses no other programs than those which can be quickly and easily added to the iGoogle home page. She may branch out later, but for now, she has a very user-friendly machine.  I can also say that she was unable or unwilling to use her prior, Windows machine, and had abandoned it some 6 months or so before I got her the Madtux.

As far as that goes, I was so impressed with the way she used it that I yesterday I set the IGoogle homepage as my homepage.  I often am reminded that I am just shy of computer-illiterate myself.  And I am almost certainly going to make my next computer purchase a Madtux.

John

* She says Google's Solitaire is disabled. I can't find it to verify (note added 8-22-07)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:02:06 pm by lawquest » Logged

dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:51:36 am »

I hate to say whether it would be good for your daughter.  I can say that, once I got Vector 5.8 loaded and configured, the Madtux is one sweet, fast machine.  I got it for my 85 year old very bright but computer illiterate mother.

Thank you for your post.  My daughter loves to hit the sites like Yahoo Music that allow her to sample free music videos.  She also enjoys use of email, and Y Messenger which she uses to stay in touch with her friends and family members.  She will also benefit from being able to research school projects.  So I think the machine would be a good idea.  I can upgrade it myself over time to meet expanding needs (and desires).

My concern is that I won't have time (I'm out of town much of the time) right now to screw around with installing and configuring an OS (that should have been pre-installed) on a machine without an optical drive.

Otherwise I have no doubt that this will be one sweet machine.  VL 5.8 Gold performs well on my old HP PII laptop.  It should be a delight to use it on the VL-100.

Several years ago I custom built a box with an AMD Duron 1.2 GHz processor, 128mb of RAM, and a Diamond Max hard drive with a 3d graphics card.  I installed VL 4.0 (the latest available version at the time).  Talk about a rocket!  Grin

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: