VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 07:41:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Fanmail] Unbelievable..  (Read 2158 times)
Xeon
Vectorite

« on: August 19, 2007, 10:40:37 am »

Ok, so those who were on IRC this morning know: I am completely building out a LAMPP server on an old pentium 2 machine. The goal of it is doing the administration of radio meteor observations (http://turkey.fvdh.net/wgra for some examples).
Yesterday i desperatly tried to get a working debian, but for some weird reason i couldn't ./configure anything.

This morning i gave vector a try. I installed 5.8 std but skipped the gui, and all the X11 content. I first missed 2 or 3 libs to start samba (? this is weird... the samba that came with the installer required a higher libcurl then came shipped with the system). Then I tried mysql again, but got the same error again. After some tests this appeared to be windows uncompression fault. After MySQL came apache, and then php.

I wasn't really happy to go into a compilation of PHP. I remember from the debian machine we have in our home that compiling php took me hours because i had to install every single depency (for some dark reason it never wanted to use the libs that were on the system). Now I would have to do the same hell again on a Pentium 2 processor

Currently I am in shock. I typed the whole configure crap, and the configure process hasn't been interrupted one time. The pc is now going through the make.

conclusion: Vector > Debian depencies
tanelle

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 11:10:25 pm »

Maybe you have some good reason for compiling everything, but why not install LAMPP from www.apachefriends.org?
you have it working in a wink. Even I can do it, and that's something!

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:42:08 am »

I have installed AMPP on Debian a couple of times. Using apt-get, it was just a matter of minutes.
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:29:18 am »

i like compiling everything myself (since i really do want to pick what i want and what not.) I don't really see the problem in that. I even put the effort to make it working when its doing idiotic. It's just the fact that this distro keeps suprizing me in it's completeness. eventhough it has no complete organisation behind, it makes a easier to use distro

@ Xampp, used that before. Very easy until you actually gotta make changes. the configuration seemed to be a mess to me
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:58:49 am »

i like compiling everything myself (since i really do want to pick what i want and what not.) I don't really see the problem in that. I even put the effort to make it working when its doing idiotic. It's just the fact that this distro keeps suprizing me in it's completeness. eventhough it has no complete organisation behind, it makes a easier to use distro

@ Xampp, used that before. Very easy until you actually gotta make changes. the configuration seemed to be a mess to me

I've seen your hand-tuned httpd setup, and it was good. Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:31:32 pm »

i like compiling everything myself ...
...this distro keeps suprizing me in it's completeness.

It's all good then Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: