VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 02:03:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rosegarden freezes my computer.  (Read 3553 times)
aranyerme

« on: August 20, 2007, 03:05:05 am »

I installed rosegarden from the testing directory. When I try to start it, it freezes the computer (I can't do anything at all). I suppose this isn't sufficient information for anyone to see what the problem is, but if anyone is willing to help me solving it, please tell me what information you need AND how I can find it. I'm new to this distro and quite new to linux in general, so please don't be too technical...
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:23:47 am »

First of all: how did you install Rosegarden? If you installed it with gslapt / slapt-get all the dependencies should've been installed as well. If you didn't install it with gslapt / slapt-get I suggest you reinstall it to make sure all the dependencies are there:

Code:
slapt-get --install --reinstall rosegarden

What would also help is if you could post the error messages you get just before it freezes if you run 'rosegarden' from a terminal.

I use Rosegarden quite often, and it never froze my computer yet. So this must be something we can work out.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
aranyerme

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:59:30 am »

I did install it using Gslapt Package Manager, so I guess it sorted out all the dependencies for me.
This is the last thing it says in the terminal before in freezes:
CREATED OUTPUT PORT 3: out 1 - MIDI external device 0
Connecting my port 3 to 16:0 on initialisation

Doesn't really sound like an error massag to me, but that's what it says...
aranyerme

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:38:05 am »

This is what it says at the beginning when I've told it to run rosegarden in the terminal:

DCOPClient::Attatch failed Could not open network socket
DCOPClient::Attatch failed Could not open network socket
kbuildsycoca running...
Jack tmpdir identified at [/tmp]
vector:/-
myusername:$ PluginFactory::instance(dssi): creating new DSSIPluginFactory
[/home/myusername/dssi] [/usr/local/lib/dssi] [/usr/lib/dssi]
Rosegarden 1.4.0 - AlsaDriver - alsa-lib version 1.0.11
JACK tmpdir identified as [/tmp]
JackDriver::initialiseAudio -
JACK server not running

And then it writes something about alsa, which was behind the rosegarden picture thing, so I didn't see it all, bu it did at least not look like an error message. And then it finishes with what I wrote before.
I guess it has something to do with "JACK server not running".
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:11:48 am »

If you start Rosegarden without Jack, you should get just midi channels, it shouldn't crash. However, as a test you can try to start jack with the following code: 
Code:
jackd -d alsa
then start Rosegarden (note this will not give jack realtime priority, but first let's try to get the thing to run without crashing).

The last message
(  CREATED OUTPUT PORT 3: out 1 - MIDI external device 0
Connecting my port 3 to 16:0 on initialisation  )
seems to indicate that something goes wrong when it tries to connect midi ports.

This person seems to have a similar problem, but no real answer. It suggests trying another sequencer program, and see if that crashes too (muse is in the repo). I'm not quite sure what you'd gain from knowing that though Undecided. If the problem is with alsa sequencer, the only thing I can think of would be to upgrade alsa-driver, alsa-lib and alsa-utils. I can give no guarantees it will work though, but it might be worth trying.

Since this problem doesn't occur for me and others I can only guess alsa doesn't like your soundcard an awful lot (or the other way around). Did rosegarden work for you on other Linux distributions?

aranyerme

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:49:38 am »

How do I start rosegarden without Jack?
I have tried to get rosegarden to work with some different distros. I had the same problem in 64 Studio. I think I had the same problem in SuSE, and Slackware as well, but I was then using a different sound card. I also tried running RG on a different computer, with ubuntu installed, but I had the same problem on that one.
According to alsa's homepage my soundcard is supported.

The main reason why I want it is because I want to write music in it. Are there any other programs that are easy to install on VL that are good for writing sheet music?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 01:07:40 pm »

How do I start rosegarden without Jack?
You already did, and it crashed. However, you can also try to start it without the sequencer:
Code:
rosegarden --nosequencer

According to alsa's homepage my soundcard is supported.
Unfortunately that is no guarantee.. I had a ESI M4U that was supposed to be supported but didn't work properly untill I filed a detailed description of my problem on one of the alsa mailinglists. The problem was only fixed in alsa-driver-1.0.14. Keep in mind that most users just use their soundcard for playing music, and for that the alsa driver might work just fine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: