VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 08:01:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: black desktop Xfce  (Read 2413 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« on: September 03, 2007, 08:06:20 am »

Bon soiree!

Whenever  xine/xmms crashed/or hang   on VL5.8, I use xkill then can't  relaunch xine /xmms again, then hit " Ctrl+alt+backspace"   ,Xfce started with black desktop, no matter how I adjust the settins of xfce configure file, desktop won't come back unless I reboot the PC and start PC again...........
How could I fix up the abnormal of xfce desktop?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:28:59 am »

That is because you are killing the desktop with xkill. It will do so because the desktop is an X component. Only use xkill within the window of the application you want to kill. Also, xmms or xine crashing, if consistently doing so usually means you have a hardware problem - ie a faulty DVD/CDROM drive or a dirty/corrupt CD/DVD platter or a faulty media file.

Try running "xfdesktop -reload" - you can use the run command to do it, or in a terminal, that might restore the desktop.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: