VectorLinux
October 02, 2014, 12:06:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nVidia Hardware, Asus N7600GS Silent (AGP 8x) (solved)  (Read 4532 times)
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« on: August 20, 2007, 12:09:59 pm »

Hy folks,
I am growing more and more desperate about graphic hardware issue.

Main board Elite Group K7A5S Pro (Bios version 01/21/2002) with AGP 4x support
CPU Athlon 2200+ XP
1 GB Ram
Monitor Xerox XL-755D
Vector 5.8 Standard

I tried an Asus N7600GS Silent on my box with nVidia Driver 100.14.11
The results are annoying. The Desktop freezes often, menus with right mouse click in 50 % are incomplete, Desktop icons invisible, Firefox sticks, Flight Gear running with scrambled screen, Google Earth crashes.
Presently I run a Fx5200 with (sub)optimal results (Flight gear running basically, Google Earth crashing when going to a location).
I tried the the Asus N7600GS  especially for Linux compatibility as I am determined to run  Flightgear and Google Earth on this box. But with every upgrade of hardware (first FX6200, now GS7600GS) things are going worse. Presently I am so far that I am thinking about a new Main Board of even a new box
Please, if somebody has this or an similar configuration running, please quote your setting of the card and xorg.conf
Every suggestion for root cause or troubleshooting or improvement is welcome
Happy computing,
Carsten
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 11:41:57 am by carsten » Logged

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 12:18:59 pm »

It does sound like a hardware problem - but not necessarily video. Get yourself a Linux Live CD (any one, it doesn't matter). Try some intensive video with the Live CD -if you still get the same errors then you definetely have a hardware problem.

Freezing like that - I normally check these things in this order:

1) memory chips: use memtest boot from the LiveCD to check.
2) hard drive: run hard drive diagnostic software available from the HD manufacturer, also found on the Ultimate Boot CD
3) power supply: check voltages in your BIOS and make sure they are OK.
4) video card: since you've tried a number of cards I doubt it is a video problem. If the above seem all OK then it is probably your motherboard.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 11:44:20 am »

Hy,
replaced the mainboard for an GA-7N400 and everything is fine.
Seems, that AGP 8x was too much for the old K7S5a.

Carsten

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: