VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:04:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Multimedia Bonus Disc development  (Read 44888 times)
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:59 pm »

I'll have another look at pth to see if I can resolve the problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding, we do need it to get pthread support.

Eric
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:59 pm »

I'll have another look at pth to see if I can resolve the problem. Unless I'm misunderstanding, we do need it to get pthread support.

I have that requisite Unix experience with C. It's way easier for me to diagnose those kinds of things in person, but I might be of use there.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 12:08:06 am »

If you can help I would appreciate it, as I really don't know anything about pthreads. The package which I built was from http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/ but I see that there are numerous other packages which also offer pthread support. Al I know is that libpthread is one of the dependencies of Kino.

Eric
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 12:21:12 am »

If you can help I would appreciate it, as I really don't know anything about pthreads. The package which I built was from http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/ but I see that there are numerous other packages which also offer pthread support. Al I know is that libpthread is one of the dependencies of Kino.

Well, do press on until you hit a sticking point and come to me then. If it helps, I can ask uel if we can coordinate an SSH session on his box sometime (I have an account there as 'penguinpoker') and solve the mystery together.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 02:08:50 pm »

Uploaded libquicktime, faad2, dvd-slideshow, netpbm and I rebuilt the ffmpeg package.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:04 pm »

I just tried to compile dvgrab with the pth package installed. It spit out a huge amount of errors all relating to pthreads. Uninstalling the package didn't fix the problem. Only starting over with a clean system worked.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 10:18:31 pm »

Yes, I've had the same problem trying to build Kino, and unfortunately Kino won't build without libpthread. I can't see anything in the configuration of pth which would eliminate this error, and it has to be built with --enable-pthread. I've rebuilt it a couple of times with the same result. I've also tried the Slackware 12.0 version of pth-2.0.7, but this doesn't have pthread support so it's no use to us.

I've looked for alternative sources of libpthread, and found http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/Threads-FAQ/html/ThreadLibs.html but this page seems to be old - several of the links are no longer working, and I couldn't build any of the packages which I could download for various reasons (some of them didn't recognise i686 as a valid machine version).

So I'm stuck. I'm wondering if the pth error is a gcc version problem?

By the way, if you've installed pth and want to eliminate it you don't need to reinstall VL. When it's uninstalled it leaves behind a couple of pth* files in /usr/include and /usr/lib, and you can manually delete these.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:51:44 pm by roseway » Logged

Eric
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 07:04:48 am »

Yes, I've had the same problem trying to build Kino, and unfortunately Kino won't build without libpthread. I can't see anything in the configuration of pth which would eliminate this error, and it has to be built with --enable-pthread. I've rebuilt it a couple of times with the same result. I've also tried the Slackware 12.0 version of pth-2.0.7, but this doesn't have pthread support so it's no use to us.

I've looked for alternative sources of libpthread, and found http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/faqs/Threads-FAQ/html/ThreadLibs.html but this page seems to be old - several of the links are no longer working, and I couldn't build any of the packages which I could download for various reasons (some of them didn't recognise i686 as a valid machine version).

So I'm stuck. I'm wondering if the pth error is a gcc version problem?

Are you sure that Kino won't build without it? I was just using the Kino that's in the repo and it works fine without it. I tried building the latest Kino myself but ran into other problems not pth related (/usr/lib/libX11.la not found or something)

By the way, if you've installed pth and want to eliminate it you don't need to reinstall VL. When it's uninstalled it leaves behind a couple of pth* files in /usr/include and /usr/lib, and you can manually delete these.
Yeah, I know, I had messed up my install anyway and needed to reinstall.

I'm really liking the combo of Vector and the multimedia stuff. It's perfect. VL is so fast that it makes an IDEAL video production platform!

roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 07:54:52 am »

Are you sure that Kino won't build without it? I was just using the Kino that's in the repo and it works fine without it. I tried building the latest Kino myself but ran into other problems not pth related (/usr/lib/libX11.la not found or something)

Pretty sure. The configure stage fails with "You need the pthread library to compile Kino". I've tried --without-pthread and similar things, but it always fails with the same error. If I install pth then the configure stage completes but make fails with multiple pthread errors.

Eric
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 10:34:38 am »

I just uploaded dvgrab and also I was finally able to get Cinelerra to compile without errors and made a package for it built against the latest libraries.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 12:17:50 pm »

Pretty sure. The configure stage fails with "You need the pthread library to compile Kino". I've tried --without-pthread and similar things, but it always fails with the same error. If I install pth then the configure stage completes but make fails with multiple pthread errors.

Hmmm...the configure goes through alright for me. Perhaps you have a 'dirty' box? Except for a *cough* minor issue of Kino needing some Xorg 7.2 libraries, it compiled fine for me. I had to track down the libraries and have included them in a separate package in the Kino directory. VL 5.8.6 users shouldn't need this package, in fact, they shouldn't install it. However, it fixes the problem for 5.8 boxes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:37:00 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 02:03:30 pm »

Dweeberkitty: I'm just a bit worried about the fact that Kino will need a separate package with a couple of Xorg 7.2 libraries in order to work, if one of its goals is to be added to the repo. Having both Xorg 6.9 and 7.2 libraries installed at once is not a good idea unless you have the xorg 7 libraries in a standalone location alongside kino, like /opt for example, and even so its likely to cause problems.
Secondly, the package KinoX11Libs.tlz does not follow the Slackware package naming standard, and will cause problems with slapt-get  and gslapt.

roseway: there is a bug in VL 5.8 Standard's Xorg package that may be the cause of the problem you are having (its also the cause of xcalc's weird layout). Try reinstalling the xorg 6.9 package with:

Code:
slapt-get --install x11 --reinstall

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »

Dweeberkitty: I'm just a bit worried about the fact that Kino will need a separate package with a couple of Xorg 7.2 libraries in order to work, if one of its goals is to be added to the repo. Having both Xorg 6.9 and 7.2 libraries installed at once is not a good idea unless you have the xorg 7 libraries in a standalone location alongside kino, like /opt for example, and even so its likely to cause problems.

Secondly, the package KinoX11Libs.tlz does not follow the Slackware package naming standard, and will cause problems with slapt-get  and gslapt.

Eauster, the libraries are installed in /usr/lib/ and do not replace any files there. I don't think that any other programs on VL5.8 are going to be using them. Also, it's not a full Xorg-7.2 package, just a few of the files from one. However, if need be, what must be done for this to be accepted in the repo? I realize the package doesn't follow standards, I just put that up as a temporary thing until we get that part sorted out.

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 02:43:33 pm »

You could prefix the Kino package to be installed in /opt/kino for example, and the include the xorg libraries in /opt/kino/lib.
Then to run Kino from that location, and using the xorg libraries installed there, use an ajusted library path variable:

Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/opt/kino/lib' /opt/kino/bin/kino

By running kino like this, it will use the libraries in /opt/kino/lib first. This way you also don't need to change /etc/ld.so.conf for the libraries to be found.

BTW, this in an ugly way to do things, so its not encouraged for "everyday" use. When its necessary, then at least it keeps potentially "dangerous" things compartmentalized.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:05:53 pm by easuter » Logged

roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 11:11:37 pm »

Thanks for your advice easuter. I think I'll reinstall VL 5.8 Standard to make sure my building box is clean, then maybe reinstall x11 as you suggest.

Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: