I found UbuntuStudio, which is a multimedia specific version of Ubuntu. Here are the packages that they include. This will be a good starting place but we will certainly expand the list:
• audacity - Swiss army audio editor • ardour - Digital audio workstation (graphical gtk interface)
• beast - music synthesis and composition framework
• bitscope - diagnosis tool for JACK audio software
• creox - real-time guitar effects
• denemo - A gtk+ frontend to GNU Lilypond • timemachine - JACK audio recorder for spontaneous and conservatory use • gtick - Metronome application • hydrogen - Simple drum machine/step sequencer • jackbeat - audio sequencer • jackd - JACK Audio Connection Kit (server and example clients) • jackeq - routes and manipulates audio from/to multiple sources • jack-rack - LADSPA effects "rack" for JACK • jamin - Audio mastering from a mixed down multitrack source with JACK • jdelay - A small command line JACK app you can use to measure the latency of your sound card. • lilypond-data - LilyPond music typesetter (data files) • lilypond - A program for typesetting sheet music
• meterbridge - A collection of Audio meters for the JACK audio server
• muse - Qt-based midi/audio sequencer • vkeybd - Virtual Keyboard program • qjackctl - User interface for controlling the JACK sound server
• puredata - realtime computer music and graphics system
• rosegarden4 - music editor and MIDI/audio sequencer • timidity - Software sound renderer (MIDI sequencer, MOD player)
• seq24 - Real time MIDI sequencer
• shaketracker - MIDI sequencer with tracker GUI
• swami - SoundFont editor • csound - powerful and versatile sound synthesis software • tapiir - A tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects • mixxx - A digital DJ interface (for beat-mixing) • terminatorx - A realtime audio synthesizer • fluidsynth - Real-time MIDI software synthesizer
• freebirth - Bass synthesizer/sample player/sequencer similar to Rebirth
• qsynth - fluidsynth MIDI sound synthesiser front-end • linuxsampler - software audio sampler • sweep - sound file editor • wired - A professional music production and creation free software running on the Linux operating system.
• blop - Bandlimited wavetable-based oscillator plugins for LADSPA hosts. • caps - A collection of refined LADSPA plugins. • cmt - (Computer Music Toolkit) A collection of LADSPA compatible plugins. • fil-plugins - Parametric equalizer LADSPA plugin. • ladspa-sdk - Sample tools for linux-audio-dev plugin architecture. • mcp-plugins - LADSPA plugins designed for Alsa Modular Synth. • omins - Collection of LADSPA plugins geared at modular synthesizers. • swh-plugins - Steve Harris's LADSPA plugins. • tap-plugins - Tom's Audio Processing LADSPA plugins. • vcf-plugins - Audio EQ biquad filter LADSPA plugins. • dssi-plugin-fluidsynth - Soundfont player/synth for DSSI.
• dssi-plugin-hexter - A Yamaha DX7 modeling software synthesizer for DSSI.
• dssi-plugin-xsynth - A classic-analog style softsynth DSSI plugin.
• dssi-utils - Command-line utilities for sending commands to DSSI plugins.
• cinepaint - A painting and image retouching program designed to work best with 35mm film and other high resolution high dynamic range images. • ffmpeg - Multimedia player, server and encoder • ffmpeg2theora - Theora video encoder using ffmpeg • kino - A non-linear editor for Digital Video data • mandvd - An easy to use DVD authoring wizard
• stopmotion - A program for creating stop motion animation.
• dvgrab - Grab digital video data via IEEE1394 links • avidemux • manslide (slideshow generator) • LiVES • 'Q' DVD-author
• inkscape - A vector-based drawing program.
• blender - A very fast and versatile 3D suite for modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback. • gimp - A raster-based drawing program. • gimp-gap - GAP is a collection of plug-ins to extend the GIMP with capabilities to edit and create animations and movies as sequences of single frames. • gimp-print - Print plugin for the GIMP • gimp-ufraw - A plug-in to import RAW images.
• f-spot - A personal photo management application.
• scribus - A open source desktop page layout program. • fontforge - Font Editor for PS, TrueType and OpenType fonts.
• gnome-raw-thumbnailer - a thumbnailer for GNOME that will make thumbnails for camera RAW files.
• xsane - GTK+-based X11 frontend for SANE. (Scanner Access Now Easy)
• wacom-tools - Software for you Wacom drawing pad.
• hugin - An easy to use cross-platform GUI for Panorama Tools.
• synfigstudio - A vector 2D based animation package (GUI)
• agave - Colorscheme generator.
• enblend - A tool for compositing images. • yafray - A modern, xml-speaking raytracing-based rendering system
• nautilus-image-converter - nautilus extension to mass resize images
As soon as I get some time, I'll start chipping away at the list for VL5.9. All help would be greatly appreciated!