VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 12:44:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL completely ignores the xorg.conf  (Read 3264 times)
fogpipe
Vectorite

« on: March 02, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »

I startx and get a resolution of 1200x960.

Edits to the xorg.conf (default depth, resolution, monitor refresh rates, etc) are all completly ignored. A couple of tries with xrandr gave me screens full of flashing garbage. I have been using linux since redhat 5.0 and have never seen any distro where X completly ignored its config file. Just to make sure that it was the xorg.conf file and not one of the others being read i hid the fb and vesa xorgs in a created directory. Im shooting for 1024x768 at either 16 or 24 depth and a refresh of either 85 or 75. I have been trying out distros recently and thought VL looked perfect, but x just isnt working.

Any tips appreciated. 
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:47:42 pm »

(Probably stating the obvious) >  1200x960 is  seldom applied LCD  wide-screen mode:
- odd rendering for probe,  suggestive of correct  driver not activated

I have been using linux since ~
VL sensed you are  experienced user -  Grin seeking  new challenges

What did lsmod/dmesg  & /var/log/ content reveal

Xorg server cannot ignore it's Cfg file - if it had, the desktop user  would be dumped back to login console
How is resolution after boot prompt

As aid to problem solving, Plse notify hardware, Gpu  model
Is the desktop (which one) usable  otherwise ?

since redhat 5.0 and have never seen any distro
~ scripted to accomodate one_size_fits_all desktop platforms

Above are only  basics - preliminary step-stones 

Best wishes

"Problems are seldom resolved by thinking in the same manner they were created"

"What is viewed is not important - That which is seen is"
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:51:00 am »

(Probably stating the obvious) >  1200x960 is  seldom applied LCD  wide-screen mode:
- odd rendering for probe,  suggestive of correct  driver not activated

I have been using linux since ~
VL sensed you are  experienced user -  Grin seeking  new challenges

What did lsmod/dmesg  & /var/log/ content reveal

Xorg server cannot ignore it's Cfg file - if it had, the desktop user  would be dumped back to login console
How is resolution after boot prompt

As aid to problem solving, Plse notify hardware, Gpu  model
Is the desktop (which one) usable  otherwise ?

since redhat 5.0 and have never seen any distro

Above are only  basics - preliminary step-stones 

Best wishes

Im booting to runlevel 3 so im not sure that dmesg would show much since none of the gui stuff has been started. The Xorg log shows a couple of lines of (==) meaning automatically detected and im guessing thats where the problem is. The chip is the dreaded intel i82845g and the above happens both with and without the intel driver installed. Is it usable? compared to what? the bottom third of the screen cant be seen, that means nonfunctional to me.

Oh come on man, dont pull that techno elite crap on me. If it works it works and if it doesnt its nothing. This is the first linux distro ive tried that had this problem and couldnt be fixed in any way.
I was using mandriva and it had a few too many doodads for me and would crash every couple of hours or so because of poor x support for the intel driver. I switched to vl light because it came with devel tools by default and used sources in its packaging and i thougt it would be a good platform to compile and install the intel driver and do some kernel experimentation, but i cant even get x to work on it Smiley

I suppose i could tail the xorg and syslogs when i start the server, if i see anything notable i may post again.

rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:11 am »

Any tips appreciated. 

For starters, we do  not need a memory refreshener of  entire reply
Oh come on man, dont pull that techno elite crap on me. If it works it works and if it doesnt its nothing

Techno-crap  Roll Eyes you might   reconsider >  the   suggestions were  BASIC  procedures:

(NTIM - the general impression of R/Hat,was only lately did it offer automated anything)

Basics >
Dmesg is boot Msg, of limited value ~ other than  showing WHAT  has been probed, located/activated

Anything can be fixed- IF/when relevant  problem-solving steps are employed

= Supply required missing data > No Xorg.0.errors.log file ?

>  You did not inform WHICH vector version:
(Default Kernel versions  w/kms  compiled in >  varied )

A quick VL search (window, top of forum page) should output recent Intel GPU  posts

SEE posted info Re Intel's latest Linux driver recommendations

fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:42 am »

Any tips appreciated. 

For starters, we do  not need a memory refreshener of  entire reply
Oh come on man, dont pull that techno elite crap on me. If it works it works and if it doesnt its nothing

Techno-crap  Roll Eyes you might   reconsider >  the   suggestions were  BASIC  procedures:

(NTIM - the general impression of R/Hat,was only lately did it offer automated anything)

Basics >
Dmesg is boot Msg, of limited value ~ other than  showing WHAT  has been probed, located/activated

Anything can be fixed- IF/when relevant  problem-solving steps are employed

= Supply required missing data > No Xorg.0.errors.log file ?

>  You did not inform WHICH vector version:
(Default Kernel versions  w/kms  compiled in >  varied )

A quick VL search (window, top of forum page) should output recent Intel GPU  posts

SEE posted info Re Intel's latest Linux driver recommendations

Actually the techno elitist crap i was referring to was

Anyway its VL light, the latest intel driver i could find that works with this xorg version is xf86-video-intel-2.7.0/.
You will need libdrm-2.4.6 to compile the driver.

Part of the problem is that the intel driver does a ddc probe for modelines and its apparently very limited in what it wants and seems to automatically select what ever has the highest refresh rate regardless of resolution.
For a while xrandr and xvidtune were reporting different refresh rates when i started x, but i found an xorg config where they both seem to agree on 1280x1024@85.
Its by no means zippy, but it appears to be stable. If anybody else is having trouble with these trash intel onboard video chips i will be happy to post my xorg.conf and render any assistance im able.

The only issue im having now is that applications dont want to maximize over the bottom 15% or so if the screen in fluxbox.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:52:41 am »

Have you tried running vxconf as root in the terminal window?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
rm-r
DoucheBag
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:24 am »

Re-evaluated, edited:

Before attempting to offer any further graphics suggestions, or comments ~ a re-examination to  what has transpired may be in order

The intro was a rant, no needed platform data/Cfg. or  error logs supplied, a  familiarity to CLI stated

Was a long-time user of R/Hat, capable of compiling sources,  disappointed w/outcome of  Vector's proffered probes etal

Took the stance he was being impuned as an elitist
Contrary to:
but i cant even get x to work on it

Upon questioning - NOW reveals he has  no troubles other than  desktop specific  API graphical interface

Persists in re-quoting entire just_ previous rely

The Intel URL containing  latest Intel data is directly below his post

Draw own conclusions_  what is the intent

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:02:45 pm by rm-r » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »

The computer I'm writing this on has the dreaded  Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03). Getting it to work nearly drove me crazy. It is working now, though, and pretty well.

I'm using VL6 Light on this laptop and its resolution is 1024x768. Here are parts of my xorg.conf file. Maybe they'll help you.
Code:
Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option     "NoAccel"            <-----># [<bool>]
Option      "NoAccel"     "true"
#Option     "SWcursor"           <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "ColorKey"           <-----># <i>
#Option     "CacheLines"         <-----># <i>
#Option     "Dac6Bit"            <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "DRI"                <-----># [<bool>]
Option      "DRI"         "false"
#Option     "NoDDC"              <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "ShowCache"          <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "XvMCSurfaces"       <-----># <i>
#Option     "PageFlip"           <-----># [<bool>]
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "intel"
VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
BoardName   "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

The two uncommented Option lines are very important. I also had to use the intel driver. Others that might seem more suitable did not work. Intel supposedly has a proprietary driver for this chip that you have to compile yourself, I think. I haven't given it a try because the present xorg.conf is working pretty well. glxgears scores are terrible, but that affects mainly gaming, which I don't do except for Frozen Bubble, which works fine.

If you try this and it works, let me know.

There are a few quirks even after you get it working. Sometimes the screen goes dark during startup. The hard drive continues to run, however. I found that if I just waited until disk activity stopped, I was actually at a login prompt although the screen is black. So when there is no disk activity, I write my login name, wait a few seconds, and type my password. Usually IceWM starts just as nicely as can be! If the screen remains black with no disk activity, I first try Control-Alt-Backspace to make sure X is closed down. That may get me back to a prompt. I then try to log in again and it usually works. If not, a reboot is necessary. I use runlevel 2.

The other occasional problem is that when I select Shut Down and want to close down the computer, the screen will go black though disk activity continues and the computer does shut down cleanly. It's not really a problem, just not the way it's supposed to work.

When I was searching the Web for a way to get X working, I found this problem referred to many times. So I wouldn't blame VL for it. Intel Brookdale can be nasty to work with.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
fogpipe
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »

The computer I'm writing this on has the dreaded  Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03). Getting it to work nearly drove me crazy. It is working now, though, and pretty well.

I'm using VL6 Light on this laptop and its resolution is 1024x768. Here are parts of my xorg.conf file. Maybe they'll help you.
Code:
Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option     "NoAccel"            <-----># [<bool>]
Option      "NoAccel"     "true"
#Option     "SWcursor"           <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "ColorKey"           <-----># <i>
#Option     "CacheLines"         <-----># <i>
#Option     "Dac6Bit"            <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "DRI"                <-----># [<bool>]
Option      "DRI"         "false"
#Option     "NoDDC"              <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "ShowCache"          <-----># [<bool>]
#Option     "XvMCSurfaces"       <-----># <i>
#Option     "PageFlip"           <-----># [<bool>]
Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "intel"
VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
BoardName   "82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

The two uncommented Option lines are very important. I also had to use the intel driver. Others that might seem more suitable did not work. Intel supposedly has a proprietary driver for this chip that you have to compile yourself, I think. I haven't given it a try because the present xorg.conf is working pretty well. glxgears scores are terrible, but that affects mainly gaming, which I don't do except for Frozen Bubble, which works fine.

If you try this and it works, let me know.

There are a few quirks even after you get it working. Sometimes the screen goes dark during startup. The hard drive continues to run, however. I found that if I just waited until disk activity stopped, I was actually at a login prompt although the screen is black. So when there is no disk activity, I write my login name, wait a few seconds, and type my password. Usually IceWM starts just as nicely as can be! If the screen remains black with no disk activity, I first try Control-Alt-Backspace to make sure X is closed down. That may get me back to a prompt. I then try to log in again and it usually works. If not, a reboot is necessary. I use runlevel 2.

The other occasional problem is that when I select Shut Down and want to close down the computer, the screen will go black though disk activity continues and the computer does shut down cleanly. It's not really a problem, just not the way it's supposed to work.

When I was searching the Web for a way to get X working, I found this problem referred to many times. So I wouldn't blame VL for it. Intel Brookdale can be nasty to work with.
--GrannyGeek

Your right, i shouldnt blame VL i guess. Fullscreen glxgears for me runs at 35 frames per second   Grin after the intel driver install. X is rock stable now no dark screens or problems of that kind. I still need xrandr to set the resolution, but run it from a script on user login.

If you want to try to install the intel driver, my experience with it was fairly painless. you will need to install libdrm-2.4.6 first and then xf86-video-intel-2.7.0 which is the latest version i could find that will work with the 1.4 xserver version included with VL Light. I have read of performance increases in the hundreds of percents with xserver 1.6 and above, so my next move is upgrading the xserver if possible. If you decide to install the intel driver pm me if you like, i may not see the post.

EDIT: btw im running it at 1280x1024 @75
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:37:59 pm by fogpipe » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: