VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 11:52:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem installing VL on Virtual PC  (Read 3449 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 20, 2007, 08:18:45 pm »

I'm trying to install VL 5.8 Standard in Virtual PC under Windows Vista Home Premium. The installation process gets started but stops after "Freeing unused kernel memory: 296K freed". Sometimes it stops a couple of lines before that, but at about that point the process simply stops, no error message, no kernel panic.

I've tried each of the four kernel choices, but each stops at the above point or a few lines before it.

Any ideas? Just in case my CD was bad, I tried with another one and had the same results. I'm hoping to get VL installed in a virtual machine (a free one as in "free beer") under Windows because I'd rather not repartition the drive and I prefer virtual machines to dual booting.

Does anyone know if QParted works reliably on Vista's NTFS?
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:23:34 am »

Can't say for sure, but at least there's this from the System Rescue CD changelog for 0.3.2:
Updated ntfsresize to 1.13.1.1 (for win-vista)

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:13:33 am »

I've had success installing VL in Virtualbox, and virtualbox has a w32 version available.  My install was on VL as the host, but I'd imagine that win as host should work fine.  HTH!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:37:45 am »

Hmmm... if not specifically tied to MS Virtual PC, I've isntalled and used VL succesfully on qemu and vmware, both running on Windows. You just need to NOT do the video autosetup during install, then boot to TUI and copy the vesa xorg config to xorg.conf. Or you can install the guest tools on vmware, which will set xorg for you, while in qemu you can use the xorg text mode setup util and manually select the qemu emulated video hardware (forgot what it is now).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:02 am »

I've had success installing VL in Virtualbox, and virtualbox has a w32 version available.  My install was on VL as the host, but I'd imagine that win as host should work fine.  HTH!

I have 5.8 std on VirtualBox on XP. Runs great. As Joe suggested, I had to skip the video setup and copy the xorg.conf-vesa and edit that file to suite my needs.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 05:35:04 pm »

I'm trying Virtual Box right now. I've gotten farther than under Virtual PC, but I can't get past the formatting part of the VL installation. I'll keep trying.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 05:58:41 pm »

As per the others using VirtualBox to load VL...xorg is problematic. I also had the same issue was with any of the three programs (VMware, VirtualBox, or VirtualPC).

If you use VMware there is an appliance of VL 5.8 SOHO on VMware's site (http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/890). It has been cosmetically customized but is VL just the same.

As to your difficulty getting through the setup perhaps trying to mount the the VL iso on the virtual CD and booting from that instead of your physical CD would give better results. You can do this with any of the three programs.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 07:25:16 pm »

As to your difficulty getting through the setup perhaps trying to mount the the VL iso on the virtual CD and booting from that instead of your physical CD would give better results. You can do this with any of the three programs.

I tried booting from the ISO but had the same results. Virtual CD stopped at the same point and Virtual Box can't format the "disk." I guess my last resort is to try the VMWare appliance and if that doesn't work, I'll repartition the drive.
--GrannyGeek

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 09:01:23 pm »

I tried booting from the ISO but had the same results. Virtual CD stopped at the same point and Virtual Box can't format the "disk." I guess my last resort is to try the VMWare appliance and if that doesn't work, I'll repartition the drive.
--GrannyGeek
IIRC, I had an issue installing VL under virualbox with partitioning or formatting.  I recall having to partition the "drive" using the "zero partition table" (can't recall the terminology exactly but it is something like 'zero blah...'), and then it worked.  It may have been as involved as dropping out of the install routine, manually partitioning, and then restarting the install from the 'format' step.  It was a couple months back and I can't recall the exact problem or solution but I do remember it was different than a normal non-virtual install.  Maybe someone who's had the same issue can help make more sense of what I'm trying to say Grin
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 05:05:54 am »

hmm, if you created a virtual hd specially for VL, there is no partition table anyway. May be this is a problem to the installer? I installed VL5.8 on VirtualBox just a few weeks ago. I did have to use that option, but because I messed the table on a previous attempt Grin. I booted the beryl Livecd to fix it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:04:27 am »

You could use GParted's live CD to partition your virtual HD. This has worked well for me under all three virtualizing programs...don't know if it will help get past the other installer issue of VL though.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 06:02:29 pm »

IIRC, I had an issue installing VL under virualbox with partitioning or formatting.  I recall having to partition the "drive" using the "zero partition table" (can't recall the terminology exactly but it is something like 'zero blah...'), and then it worked. 

I did try the zero table thing. It didn't help. I didn't bother trying to format and then doing the VL install--maybe that would have worked.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 06:21:17 pm »

I'm writing this with Opera in VL 5.8 Standard on my new laptop! Not from a virtual machine, though. I decided to partition the drive and I left about 16 gigs for VL. I also created a FAT32 partition (Drive D in Windows) for easier file sharing with Linux.

I used GParted from the System Rescue CD to resize my Vista NTFS Drive C. It worked perfectly and all the programs and data on Drive C lived through it.

VL installed uneventfully. I was especially happy that the network chip was recognized and worked out of the box. I was a little concerned because its an nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller, which I'd never heard of. I don't see anything that looks like a module for it in lsmod.

I have a few issues that I hope can be worked out. For example, I'm not hearing any sound. lspci lists Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio but I don't see any module in lsmod that looks remotely like it's for that.

Anyway, I'm in business. My nfs network is working fine and I hope we can sort out things that aren't quite right.

I gave up on Virtual PC and Virtual Box. I installed VMware Player under Windows and downloaded the VL SOHO appliance, but I haven't installed it in VMware Player yet. I may give it a try just out of curiosity. I noticed that the appliance is just 6 gigs and I hate dealing with a shortage of disk space.

It's much nicer using the new laptop now that VectorLinux is on it.
--GrannyGeek

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 05:50:45 am »

IIRC, I had an issue installing VL under virualbox with partitioning or formatting.  I recall having to partition the "drive" using the "zero partition table" (can't recall the terminology exactly but it is something like 'zero blah...'), and then it worked.

I chose the "zero blah" thingie, then from the vl installer used cfdisk to create a swap partition and one more partition.
Reboot, and on with the installer.

(except, as others have pointed, did not choose the X configuration option in the installer. Then logged in as root, ran xorgconfig and chose vesa as the video driver.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: