VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 05:59:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linus Torvalds: perspective  (Read 2964 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: August 22, 2007, 09:00:32 pm »

Linus Torvalds:
"Funnily enough, the only distributions I tend to refuse to touch are the "technical" ones, so I've never run Debian, because as far as I'm concerned, the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to install (so that I can then get to the part I care about, namely the kernel), so Debian or one of the 'compile everything by hand' ones simply weren't interesting to me."

http://apcmag.com/7012/linus_torvalds_talks_about
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:23:21 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:31:14 pm »

I submit that the more important part is the user experience. Install and a little setup is a small price.

I hold with him though, that KDE > GNOME, though I don't really use either.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:54:05 am »

I guess that "easy to install" is a relative thing - just about any Linux distribution available now is easier to install now than the various distributions which were around even a few years ago, especially since hardware detection and setup has improved so much.  Also, if you're talking about installing an OS + drivers + applications, Linux is much easier than Windows, at least in my experience.  I would add that tweaking, configuring, that sort of thing is something that some people actually enjoy, and since Linus did say "... as far as I'm concerned," that's just his personal taste.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:47:37 am »

I guess that "easy to install" is a relative thing - just about any Linux distribution available now is easier to install now than the various distributions which were around even a few years ago, especially since hardware detection and setup has improved so much.  Also, if you're talking about installing an OS + drivers + applications, Linux is much easier than Windows, at least in my experience.  I would add that tweaking, configuring, that sort of thing is something that some people actually enjoy, and since Linus did say "... as far as I'm concerned," that's just his personal taste.

Linux is a lot less bitchy than Windows.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:55:16 am »

Interesting read.  Thanks  Smiley
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 06:35:42 am »

...the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to install...

One commenter offered that Linus probably meant, "works out of the box."

hanumizzle:

See DesktopLinux survey results for windowing environments:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html

Gnome    45%
KDE         35%
Xfce          8%
Other      12%
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:44:03 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 06:43:36 am »

I was a bit surprised that Linus would opt for a bigger heavily patched distro.  Does he swap out the kernel with a vanilla one or what?  I thought he might be more of a purist. But I suppose he doesn't have the time to tweak a install to get it running.  It's the kernel and nothing but the kernel for him.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 05:58:07 pm »

...the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to install...

One commenter offered that Linus probably meant, "works out of the box."

hanumizzle:

See DesktopLinux survey results for windowing environments:
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html

Gnome    45%
KDE         35%
Xfce          8%
Other      12%

To clarify, I think that KDE is better technology.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 06:03:03 am »

I was a bit surprised that Linus would opt for a bigger heavily patched distro.  Does he swap out the kernel with a vanilla one or what?  I thought he might be more of a purist. But I suppose he doesn't have the time to tweak a install to get it running.  It's the kernel and nothing but the kernel for him.

I think Linus likes to be polemic and to say whatever people is not expecting from him.
I found polemic and interesting the open source vs free software topic. Linus is probably right about the more pragmatic focus of the open software as a development model was very good to linux. But I think both points of view are not incompatible and can live together. Open software development has an ethical edge even when this is not the original intention. For example, the kernel itself is developed under the "open source philosophy" with no reference to "Freedom" but it is used by the free software movement and, even when was not the original intention, it has a political and ethical function in this world.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mr_volvo

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:06:16 am »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=The+Billboard+200

Hanumizzle, I bet you like Hannah Montana more than the soundtrack to High School Musical too... weird. Tongue

Vector 5.8 SOHO on
Dell Latitude C400 (1Ghz, 256mb)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 06:40:48 am »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=The+Billboard+200

Hanumizzle, I bet you like Hannah Montana more than the soundtrack to High School Musical too... weird. Tongue

Hannah Montana? Faslig...

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 09:36:03 pm »

...so Debian or one of the 'compile everything by hand' ones simply weren't interesting to me.

Linus' new tee shirt
http://blog.hands.com/2007/09/05#linus-T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: