VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 09:41:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading from Standard to SOHO  (Read 1743 times)
Miki Tebeka

« on: August 23, 2007, 10:36:18 am »

Hello All,

What's the recommended way to upgrade from Standard 5.8 to SOHO 5.8?

Thanks.
--
Miki <miki.tebeka@gmail.com>
http://pythonwise.blogspot.com

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:04:08 am »

There is no way, sorry. SOHO is based on KDE, Standard on xfce. You could try loading all the KDE packages, but you are kind of defeating the purpose of Standard then (a nice small fast distro with a lighterweight environment). If you really want SOHO I suggest you install it. The easy way is to get yourself some extra partitions (if you have a large enough hard disk) and dual boot either SOHO or Standard. You can easily share files between them, if need be.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Miki Tebeka

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:05:46 am »

OK, thanks.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 07:20:43 pm »

You could try loading all the KDE packages, but you are kind of defeating the purpose of Standard then (a nice small fast distro with a lighterweight environment).

I don't lile to see Standard pigeonholed as just a small fast distro with lighterweight environment. It's that, but it's also a good base for someone to create the system just like they want it. I wouldn't hesitate to add KDE if I wanted it, but I don't. I don't really care whether something is lightweight or not.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:14 pm »

the only way to get done is downloading the image and install.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:55:24 pm »

...but it's also a good base for someone to create the system just like they want it.
True, I should have been a bit more specific. In fact, Standard really is SOHO's base ...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: