VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:18:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I disable the touchpad and keep the "real" mouse?  (Read 3073 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 23, 2007, 08:22:38 pm »

Running VL 5.8 Standard on my new laptop, I have both the touchpad and a USB mouse working. The touchpad is driving me crazy. If I hover over it, the cursor is likely to move. I want to disable the touchpad and use just the USB mouse.

I ran into the same situation when I first installed VL 5.8 Standard on my now fatally ill old laptop and someone posted a solution (Joe1962, I think). I couldn't find that message--it was probably lost in the forum changes.

Please tell me how to make the USB mouse the only pointing device.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:53 pm »

someone posted a solution (Joe1962, I think).
Yes, I have a vague recollection of that... Undecided

I couldn't find that message--it was probably lost in the forum changes.
I'd say that's pretty certain... Roll Eyes

Please tell me how to make the USB mouse the only pointing device.
A quick, off the cuff idea is that AFAIK, touchpads are PS2 devices, so blacklisting the PS2 module might work. Sorry I don't have my VL setup working yet, so I can't be more specific, nor even test it.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:45:34 pm »

I think it had something to do with xorg.conf, how many mice are specified there?

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:33:56 am »

Granny, this may be your ticket. http://www.compass.com/synaptics/

tpconfig supposedly will allow you to disable the touchpad at startup. Smiley

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 07:12:17 am »

GrannyGeek: some laptops have a small button above the touchpad so you can turn it off in hardware - perhaps not on your machine?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:16:26 pm »

There is no hardware switch or function key combination for turning off the touchpad. Stoichyu is right--there was some edit in xorg.conf and I think something in /dev. Currently, the mouse lines in xorg.conf are:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Mouse0 is the USB mouse. /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/input/mice. That contains event0, event1, event2, event3, mice, mouse0, mouse1. The touchpad is mouse1.

I think the old solution involved a symlink to something and maybe a change from "Protocol" "auto" to something else. Does this ring any bells? I'd like to avoid tpconfig if possible.

I read quite a few messages in this that were turned up in a Google search, but none of the suggested solutions matched what I have in xorg.conf.

I hope in the future we can have a failsafe way to back up the entire message board. We've lost some crucial information every time some evil has befallen the board.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 02:58:28 am »

Have you tried changing Device to /dev/input/mouse0? You could also try IMPS/2 for the protocol.

There's no place like ~.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 04:18:59 pm »

Have you tried changing Device to /dev/input/mouse0? You could also try IMPS/2 for the protocol.

Thank you, thank you! That did it. Now I have the mouse and no touchpad. Life is good!
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 10:16:23 am »

I remembered this thread when I came across this little howto:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/linux/2007/09/20/disable-your-notebook-touchpad-the-easy-way

- Just in case it can be of help to others down the road -
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 07:54:19 am »

That certainly provides a nice solution to the touchpad problem. And it'd work on any touchpad too. I tried "rmmod psmouse" and the touchpad stopped. However, when I re-enabled it with "modprobe psmouse", I had the touchpad back, but my scrolling was lost. But if you just want to disable the touchpad permanently, I guess it's not a problem.

There's no place like ~.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: