VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 04:47:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing win98 for a dual boot  (Read 1633 times)
VLofVT

« on: August 24, 2007, 05:21:40 am »

Okay, here's the situation:
Recently, I was overcome by the desire to play The Sims by Maxis - despite my efforts, It's just not worth the trouble to me to fuss around with wine/cedega/vmware to make the game work. Unfortunately I have already axed my Windows hard drive (/dev/hda) to explore other Linux variants, so I'm reduced to windows 98 off of an old cd thats been living underneath my computer desk since Clinton was in office.

As of now, LILO loads Vector off of /dev/hdb, but I'm afraid of windows taking over my MBR and forcing me to boot into w98 (on /dev/hda)

This is exactly the kind of problem that can  be fixed with knoppix, but if anybody can think of a cleaner way to do this, it would be much appreciated.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:09:53 am »

Yes. If you now load Windows it will take over your MBR (most Microsoft products do tend to "take over"  Wink ). However, that can be easily remedied by after loading Win you reload the VL install disk and on the first screen choose to "Repair Lilo". Lilo will detect all the OS's and rewrite itself to the MBR. (Of course, you first of all need spare partitions on that drive in order to load Windows, but I assume you know that).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
VLofVT

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 08:22:53 am »

I'm actually working on a whole new hard drive - easy partitioning
thanks for the reply
rhauff
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 11:25:51 am »

Xosl is still the niced boot manager IMHO, I don't think it's maintained anymore, but it works so well it doesn't need anymore help.
http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm
When using this, install Lilo to the boot sector of the hd, instead of MBR.  Install Xosl after Windows, it will detect all installed OS's.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: