VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 01:13:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reanimate Win-key as Amarok shortkey and compose key  (Read 1069 times)
Freston
Vectorite

« on: September 11, 2007, 02:41:44 am »

I really like this distro, just a little peculiarity. I post this to ask a question about it, but more so for the benefit of others who encounter the same.

I've noticed that Vector comes with ~/.Xmodmap predefined. I overwrote them as user with my own favorite settings. All well and good. But I noticed at some point during operating this old machine, that my shortkeys to Amarok died. With shortkeys I mean the Win-<z,x,c,v,b,etc.> combo's. Also, I have r-win as compose key for special characters <é,ä,ß, etc.>, a functionality that also died.
It took me quite some time to find out when, why and how. I wont bother you with the details of my search, as I'm not complaining... just curious.

I noticed the shortkeys died after su'ing to root in the konsole.

/root/.Xmodmap contains:
Code:
keycode 115 = F15
keycode 116 = F16

Commenting these out (or just bluntly deleting /root/.Xmodmap) solves the issue, but at the same time raises a question. What special purpose did those keys have that I will now no longer be able to use? Having those keys predefined must have a reason.

Again, nice job on the distro guys and gals! I'm really impressed!

EDIT: Commenting out the lines or deleting the file I found leads to error of xmodmap itself when it gets called from .bashrc. Rather logical in hindsight. Either delete the lines in .Xmodmap, leaving the file to hold your favorite settings ;-). Or comment out or delete the line <xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap> in ~/.bashrc. Whichever works for you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:47:49 am by Freston » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:26:34 am »

What special purpose did those keys have that I will now no longer be able to use? Having those keys predefined must have a reason.
The "Win" key was changed to F15, because kde doesn't allow using the "Win" key to bring up the menu since version 3.3 or 3.4 (I think), but does allow using F15. However, you can also bring it up with "CTRL+ESC".

I also removed xmodmap, also because of the Amarok shortcuts.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: