VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 09:48:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Dead Pc  (Read 6924 times)
strash

« on: August 24, 2007, 02:04:08 pm »

hi everyone! Grin
like other people this is my frist time using linux.
I have a half dead pc (compac) with just enough system files to run.
so i can't install things there is no my documents  ect.
i was wondoring is it possible to whipe my hard drive and install VL?
 Huh
If more details are need i will gladly give them.
thank you all,
strash Smiley
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:01:36 pm »

hi everyone! Grin
like other people this is my frist time using linux.

Welcome to VectorLinux. I hope you enjoy it - we all do!  Smiley
To be perfectly frank you will enjoy Linux much more if you do a bit of reading to familiarize yourself with it. A good place to start is our documentation, particularly our installation manual here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html, plus the other manuals

I have a half dead pc (compac) with just enough system files to run.
By half dead I hope you mean not the hardware only the Windows operating system - because if you have hardware problems Linux won't make any difference - although it does make it easier to diagnose hardware faults than Windows (IMHO). What are the specs of that Compaq??? - it is important for you to know them to determine what version of VL would suit it best.

i was wondoring is it possible to whipe my hard drive and install VL?
When you install VL you will first of all create some partitions and then basically VL will write overtop of the stuff on the drive so you really do not need to do a wipe beforehand.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
strash

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 05:42:12 pm »

wow really friendly support Grin
well its just the OS files i think the hardware is still good
the thing is when i put in the disc with the ISO image and boot it
it doesn't run it just goes to the broken Windows OS
(the disc drive does work i've tested it)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:53:50 pm by strash » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 06:11:56 pm »

You probably need to set your computer to boot from the CDROM drive instead of the hard drive.

This may involve entering the BIOS setup. Do you know how to do that?
strash

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »

nope mind telling me how? Huh  (am not very good at this kind of stuff) Sad

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:37:35 pm »

Okay, let's take this one step at the time.

If your computer has a floppy drive in it, try inserting a floppy and then power it up. Does it still go to the broken windows or do you get an error message?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:43:25 pm »

First of all strash...  Welcome to VectorLinux!  Well to the forums anyway!  Cheesy We'll get you up and running in no time.  You'll find we strive to help out whomever needs it.  Especially people like you that have no prior knowledge of Linux.  So stick it out, and you will NOT regret it.  Besides... for selfish reasons, I can't wait to hear from you how much better that PC runs VL Powered.

It may be a bit tricky for us to tell you exactly how to set your BIOS as they are all so different.  We can help, but it's up to you to poke around and at least tell us what you see.

When you boot your computer there will be a very basic display.  Maybe some sort of graphic, but most likely words.  Often you will see some text telling you to press a certain key to access setup.  On mine the key is "delete".  Some computers use "F1" or "F3".  Sometimes it takes many tries to get into your BIOS.  Some computers are fussy and expect you to hit the key at a exact moment.

Once you get in to your BIOS, you will know it.  It looks very alien.  Usually the first set of settings you will come acrossed is the time and date settings.  Somewhere on the screen there will be text explaining what keys to use to navigate and change things.  Often all you need is the arrow keys, plus and minus keys and the enter key.

Navigate around until you find settings about "First boot device"  "Boot Order"  or something like that.  Usually the device boot order is: Floppy, hard drive, and then CDROM.  Swap things around until CDROM is the first boot device.

I can't tell you exactly how to save your BIOS changes as they vary.  Once again there should be some helpful text explaining what keys do what.  I would expect you would have to hit "Esc" to get out of the settings you just changed.  Then probably a "F Key"  maybe "F10" ? to exit and save changes.  It will or should ask you  Y or N about the changes.

Save those settings and your computer will restart.  Make sure the VL install CD is in the drive if you want a real OS installed!  Wink

It is possible your computer is too old to support booting from CD.  There are workarounds so don't panic. 

Let us know how you're making out.

One tip if you don't mind.  If you are not going to dual boot, make sure you have access to a computer with internet.  You might need us as a safety net if something goes haywire!

Good luck!
strash

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:57:06 pm »

Wow really really friendly support! Shocked Grin
Ok well in the bois i switch everything around
k if this matters the plug and play os thingy is on
The boot order is,
1 Cd-rom drive (the cd with the iso image is in)
2 removable devices
3 network boot
4 hard drive.
and even now it just takes like 10 more seconds to boot then goes to the windows logo (Xp home edition)
am look at the bios screen right now so if theres anything else i need 2 do...
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:02:56 pm »

Hmmmmm.....  I'm a bit stumped.  It should of picked it up (the bootable CD).  Your settings appear correct.

How did you burn the ISO?  Did you just copy it on to a CD because that will not work.  What software did you use?
strash

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 07:15:59 pm »

well i (think if it did burn) i burned it with this
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/icey5_2007/it.jpg
here's the image in a folder

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/icey5_2007/ti.jpg
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:24:10 pm »

Okay, I am not familiar with the software, but I'm very sure you made a coaster.  It appears by the first picture, you created a "data" cd.  Which means you merely copied a file onto a cd.  There must be some sort of way to "burn CD image" "burn ISO image" or something like that.  That's what a ISO is...  A image of a CD or DVD.  That's not all it could be, but that doesn't pertain to this problem.  A data CD or DVD is not bootable.  Does that make sense?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 07:28:32 pm »

A quick Google of "NTI" and "iso" found this tidbit.  Maybe this makes sense?  Once again, I'm not familiar with the program.
To burn the iso file, you go into copy then in the source select "disc image reader" then in target your burner, once you hit step 2 it will ask for the image file
strash

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 07:51:42 pm »

well ok i think i got it now Grin
like 15:00 minutes till its done Grin
but if it works THANKS!!!!  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 08:07:21 pm »

Good luck once again.  I need to be off to bed before my wife kicks me to the curb.  Don't be alarmed about anything.  The install may be a bit daunting since you've never done it before, but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders.  You'll do fine.  BTW  This machine is a 1 ghz Athlon Thunderbird.  Not impressive.  I don't know that it would run XP well.  It really does fly with VectorLinux. You will be very happy with Linux.  Don't give up.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 08:49:06 pm »

try this for step by step installation guide for VL
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3425.0

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: