VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 11:31:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So, "Get the Facts" site has closed down....  (Read 2860 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: August 25, 2007, 10:25:25 am »

....and in its place Microsoft has created the "Windows Server Compare" website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/default.mspx

Don't worry, they still have The Highly Reliable Times for you to read!  Cheesy
Anyway, if you want to have a quick look at the selective pros/cons page, check it out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/compare_linux.mspx

Looks like RedHat is the only "enterprise Linux" that one can use, and as though every "Linux" costs $2000+  Cheesy Cheesy
CentOS anyone?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:28:20 am by easuter » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:53:31 am »

Gawd, gimme a break... Back in the days when I was working in a NOC, we were forced to switch from Netware/Groupwise to NT/Exchange. We proved that the manpower needed to maintain that configuration would triple, and the cost of ownership would double. Did they listen to us? Noooooooooooo!

Once the switch was made, the bean counters started scratching their head and started to ask why costs were going through the roof. "But MS gave us such a great DEAL in purchasing the software!" BAH!!!!!!!!!!

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:57:23 am »

Gawd, gimme a break... Back in the days when I was working in a NOC, we were forced to switch from Netware/Groupwise to NT/Exchange. We proved that the manpower needed to maintain that configuration would triple, and the cost of ownership would double. Did they listen to us? Noooooooooooo!

Once the switch was made, the bean counters started scratching their head and started to ask why costs were going through the roof. "But MS gave us such a great DEAL in purchasing the software!" BAH!!!!!!!!!!

And then what?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 11:01:42 am »

Feh... This was the government... Guess what they're still using.... **banging head on desk**

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 12:42:23 pm »

"But MS gave us such a great DEAL in purchasing the software!"

I'll make them sh*t sandwiches for only $5.00 each!

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 01:15:36 pm »

I wonder if the new Windows Server Compare site will be contrasting the "highly reliable" WGA servers to other OSes?

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:32 am »

Don't worry, they still have The Highly Reliable Times for you to read!
Straight from the Ministry of Truth... 
Oh well, anybody really searching for a server solution should know better than to trust either M$ or Linux propaganda. But If you do trust M$ propaganda, you deserve a windows based server. Good luck with it.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Vxt

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 05:00:31 am »

Gvt. & and computers   what  Undecided  a frightening thought !

As for Linux in enterprise environments ~ why not:  It's  not  "advertising" to validate Linux
scales very well, & now deployed  on terabyte capable servers

What is encouraging -when Mgt has good insights & supports the "troops on the battle-ground"

http://www.linux.com/feature/62285

Ease of maintenance: While the below  article was explaining how Gentoo had unique strengths,
it's applicable to alI Linux  good practices: Bearing in mind, home use is vastly different to business requirements 

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7438

It is true, Microsoft does have excellent  server models , but as R1-af explained, they can well afford to
give "deals" to lock in licensing /deployment - w/rigorous restrictions on future use

Consulting firms depend on that principle - support costs after purchace

In Redmond's case - the software is NOT owned by the end-user
Rather it is governed by their own EULA fine print

For a  market/supply system to work,  competition must be allowed
As the world moves further towards "globalization" - choice becomes scarce, innovation stifled

In many nations, Gvt. "watchdogs" rubber-stamp rate increases - defend decisions on  "growth" of economy
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 01:35:33 pm »

While we're on the topic of MS in the server business, here is an interesting article about Netcraft's recent reports on how Apache is supposedly losing ground to IIS....hmmm interesting:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000271

Many reader comments are also insightful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:37:22 pm by easuter » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: