Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hello from the USA  (Read 1823 times)

Hello from the USA
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:01:59 pm »

Well, what can I say.  I'm somewhat new to the world of PC's, and for my first PC I got a refurbished dell c640 latitude, and it does everything I need it to and more.  I was a Commodore 64 and Amiga user since 1990 and just now in the 21st century, I go the PC route just so I can learn the intel architectures(I have a friend building me a Pentium 3 1ghz(can't beat free now can we?) with a gigabyte of memory, and a Radeon 7000 video card(I know I don't have the latest and greatest hardware, but for my uses these kind of systems fit my uses. 

It came with Windows XP SP2 installed, but I did not like the nags, so I use Windows XP for playing with, and learning the OS since I want to be able to develop my code on as many platforms as possible.

However, I did get tired of Microsoft treating me like I was a criminal since the XP came with my Dell machine and I did not trust the Windows Genuine Activation, so I decided that since I ran netbsd on one of my Amigas I decided I would give a few linux distros a try.

Some of the distros I tried:

Debian: Although I had trouble with the distro, it was nice, but too hard to buildG .deb packages
Ubuntu: It has too much of a commercialized feeling, and it was sluggish and had too many dependency problems, and update problems. 
Mint: To me, nothing but Ubuntu with more bloat and more commercialized feel than Ubuntu
Fedora Core: I didn't like the package management, and the distro came with things I didn't care for really.
Gnewsense: Great goals, but not too functional and not documented well enough
Gentoo: It was like navigating through a maze
Slackware: I loved it, ran smooth, but I didn't feel like compiling kernels just to have customization at this time

Then I come across Vector.  Easy installation, detected everything except my wireless card(I view that as a security feature since I never trusted anything wi-fi), simple packaging, and I love the choices the installer gives of how you want the system to boot.

I also use MuSiX which is a Live CD distro which deals with mostly music production software and has a low latency kernel in it, along with Rosegarden, Audour, Linux Multi Media Studio, Soundtracker, Jack Daemon which I heard about on a radio show.

And sometimes I'll play with Dyne:Bolic another live cd but not as feature packed as MuSiX.

I'll have to say that Vector, MuSiX and Dyne have been the ones that have worked for me.

I also like web browser called Dillo, a no frills browser which is lightweight and gets the job done.

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hello from the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:59:47 pm »

Welcome to Vector.

Many of us have been through a journey similar to yours, and have found what we wanted in this distro.

Make yourself at home. :)