VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 08:54:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Say it isn't so  (Read 2440 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« on: August 26, 2007, 08:36:10 pm »

There are some burdens in life that cannot be borne by one person alone. I ask you to just hear my sad, sad story.  I now know the fate of the single VL box that I sold to a person who seemed interested in the grand Linux experiment. That noble P2 / 350 mhz with a DVD player required at least a couple days of painstaking configuration and tweaking to turn into the VL powerhouse that it is--or was. Yes, the inevitable happened. The customer bumped the memory up to 512 MB and installed Windows XP on this venerable machine. Imagine that: Win XP on a 350. Is that even possible?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:06:39 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:24:46 pm »

We had one parent try to load XP on the computer (PIII 500/128) we provided to his child as part of our Computers for Kids program.

Molasses in winter.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:13:34 pm »

Yeah....I've seen XP get loaded onto worse specs than that even, just for the sake of having it installed  Roll Eyes

Intel Pentium (1) 200mhz (i586!)
128mb RAM (edo modules...)
4GB HDD

Needles to say what the performance was like...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:18:02 pm by easuter » Logged

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:32:46 am »

Damn, I'm astonished!  Shocked Well perhaps not exactly.  Cheesy

It seems like people just want some MS OS even not thinking on what type of specs they put it on.
It's a shame that some users are so ignorant to the fact that XP and any other MS OS will NOT run very well on those specs you guys just described.

Why not go with VL, it most certainly works on those specs.
Now I make a promise, I will NOT upgrade my computer within the next year. Smiley
I will keep on going strong with my P2 Celeron 466MHz 192MB of RAM with KDE 3.5.7 and of course, the distro is VL Smiley

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:38:59 am »

There are some burdens in life that cannot be borne by one person alone. I ask you to just hear my sad, sad story.  I now know the fate of the single VL box that I sold to a person who seemed interested in the grand Linux experiment. That noble P2 / 350 mhz with a DVD player required at least a couple days of painstaking configuration and tweaking to turn into the VL powerhouse that it is--or was. Yes, the inevitable happened. The customer bumped the memory up to 512 MB and installed Windows XP on this venerable machine. Imagine that: Win XP on a 350. Is that even possible?

Yeah, I had my computer reformatted once, and they surprisingly installed Win XP on my computer with those exact same specs. I was planning to install VL on it at the time. Cheesy But, when I started it up, I was curious. Amazingly, it booted up fast. Faster than the normal box I use Win XP on, which was 2.8Ghz. It was even quite responsive. I didn't try doing anything much though. I just rebooted and installed VL. Cheesy

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:03:22 am »

Did you ask them, why? That would interest me !!
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:42 am »

A fresh install of 2K/XP is normally quite fast. It just doesn't stay that way.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:02 am »

Some people just need to have some sense slapped into them.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:58 am »

It seems like people just want some MS OS even not thinking on what type of specs they put it on.

Hardware manufacturers too. I've just bought a cheap Acer laptop which has 512 MB of RAM and a 1.73 GHz Celeron processor. It came with Vista Home Basic preinstalled (uuugh!!) and using it was like wading through treacle. Not that it lasted long though - I've already wiped the hard disk and installed something much better (no prizes for guessing) but I still resent having paid the Microsoft tax for something I don't need and won't use.

Eric
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 07:52:20 am »

Win XP on a 350. Is that even possible?
Yes it is. A friend of mine used to run that, but with far less memory (Only 128 IIRC Roll Eyes). He made music with a tracker program  on it, but it played rather choppily at times. A couple of months ago he got himself a new computer at a local discount store, with XP on it ( I recommended that to him, he has no use for Vista). I could have made him a linux + wine install, but since his computer will only be used for that tracker program and will not be connected to the web it should stay fine.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Toe

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:14 am »

Imagine that: Win XP on a 350. Is that even possible?

With 512MB RAM, sure.  Most desktop usage is far more RAM-dependent than CPU-dependent. 

Now easuter's example, on the other hand, aaaiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Shocked
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 09:50:35 am »

Yeah....I've seen XP get loaded onto worse specs than that even, just for the sake of having it installed  Roll Eyes

Intel Pentium (1) 200mhz (i586!)
128mb RAM (edo modules...)
4GB HDD

Needles to say what the performance was like...

...and a 9600 bps modem

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:35:42 pm »

Aack!  The horror!   Shocked

One more thing to add to the list of things I can't comprehend.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: