VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:17:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: other distros default designs  (Read 29200 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 11:33:44 am »

I agree with blury, may be I am used to this one. I think the actual theme is nice to read a lot without get tired. Too much ligth hurt my eyes (I guess this old 14'' curve screen is a posible cause too).

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 03:28:10 am »

http://www.linux-gamers.net/

Linux gamers has a VERY well made website.
The theme of the forum fits the theme of its main site.The main site is very well integrated with the forum as well...and the design is good too. Cool

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
muskrat

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 07:35:41 am »

I really love the splash screen in VL5.8 with the enlarging pinguins. That is a great job will done by VL, I've seen a lot of differnet distros loading splash and I think that one holds number 1 in my judgement.

Keep  up the good work developers. Grin

One issue I take with all distros, they take it upon themselves to rename and reoganize the menues. For example KDE has what  they refer to as the "control center", that's as good a name as one could hope for since that's what it does. Yet Mepis calls it "personel settings", which is misleading because there are a number of settings in the control center which require root's password and become system wide.

So when I'm helping some friend with thier linux, which my be debian based the same as my box, or might have a KDE desktop the same as I'm using here in OpenSuse right now, And I tell him where to find such and such, it's not there because said distro has moved it, or renamed it.

I'm all for each distro having a unique look and feel. Much like each car has it's own look and feel. But they don't place the turn signal switch on the right side of the steering colume. Although they do rename the inside light. Some call it a cargo light, others call it a dome light.

That's just my pet peve. When I tell a newbie to go to the control center in KDE, only to find that his distro, (which I've never used) has renamed it something else.

"Who needs windows? When we have no walls!"
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 01:23:46 pm »

I really love the splash screen in VL5.8 with the enlarging pinguins. That is a great job will done by VL, I've seen a lot of differnet distros loading splash and I think that one holds number 1 in my judgement.
Great to hear that, muskrat. So far most mentions tended to be negative... Sad
I guess the old saying is true, people yell louder when they don't like something... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2007, 04:46:30 am »

I happen to like the penguins, and the very informative text at the bottom.  It's nice to verify something is going on while waiting for the machine to boot.  But....  I prefer text only.  I like to see everything that's going on in the background.

And my four year old REALLY loves the penguins.  When the machine is booting, he makes comments that the penguins are getting bigger.  And tells the penguins "Goodbye" when they shrink.

We are penguin fans here.  Real life penguins are awesome.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 11:40:26 am »

I happen to like the penguins, and the very informative text at the bottom.  It's nice to verify something is going on while waiting for the machine to boot.  But....  I prefer text only.  I like to see everything that's going on in the background.

And my four year old REALLY loves the penguins.  When the machine is booting, he makes comments that the penguins are getting bigger.  And tells the penguins "Goodbye" when they shrink.

We are penguin fans here.  Real life penguins are awesome.

I like the penguins too, and as you, I prefer the nice console view to see what is going on.
To be completely fair, the real penguins are awesome, but some fictitious too, like the one from Batman  Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: