VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 08:54:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Xfce launcher isn't working--SOLVED!  (Read 3322 times)
rhauff
Vectorite

« on: August 28, 2007, 05:36:36 am »

I'm running VL5.8 with Xfce 4.4.  I have a desktop lanucher configured to run a python script for the Edna web server.  I have it checked to run in a terminal.
Here is the command:
python /opt/edna-0.6/edna.py -c /opt/edna-0.6/edna.conf

When I double-click it nothing happens.  If I past the command into an terminal window, it runs just fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

BTW, I have check the Xfce website documentation & forum and, as usual, found nothing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:31:45 am by rhauff » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 05:42:13 am »

Try using absolute paths. ie
Code:
/usr/bin/python /opt/edna-0.6/enda.py -c /opt/endna-0.6/edna.conf

rhauff
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 06:40:25 am »

No effect.  I tried also /usr/bin/python&  in case the session was closing itself, though I probably didn't implement this correctly.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 06:48:26 am »

dirty way of doing it would be to write a script, and then create your launcher to run that script instead

Sample script
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/python /opt/edna-0.6/edna.py -c /opt/edna-0.6/edna.conf &

Save it as ~/edna-script

Then set it executable (+x) then create your launcher to run this script instead.

I think the "Command" field in the launcher editor can't really accept arguments. It assumes you'll just run something like "firefox" or "Terminal"

and not "python <file.py> -c <config_file.conf>

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:15:54 am »

Or try:

xfrun /usr/bin/python /opt/edna-0.6/enda.py -c /opt/endna-0.6/edna.conf

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rhauff
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:26:54 am »

Thanks much for the help.
MOE-lnx, I tried that also, the only result was that it would flash a blank xterm window for a split second, but didn't run the script.

UPDATE:  After De-selecting "Run in terminal", it works!
rhauff
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 07:31:04 am »

Lagagnon,

Your solution works nicely also, I also had to de-select "Run in terminal" for this.  Thanks for the help, it's nice to finally have this working!  We've been having lots of power outages here in Minnesota, and the UPS died overnight, so I've been restarting the system more than usual.  Normally it's up for months at a time!!

Roland
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: