VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 11:15:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FSF: MS can't declare itself exempt from GPLv3  (Read 1796 times)
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« on: August 28, 2007, 09:42:51 pm »

The Free Software Foundation issued a statement re Microsoft's claims that it won't be bound by the GPL:
Microsoft cannot declare itself exempt from the requirements of GPLv3 ...

...it was no isolated incident; Microsoft has engaged in anticompetitive conduct in the software industry for many years, and has sought to attack free software for almost as long.
We will ensure--and, to the extent of our resources, assist other GPLv3 licensors in ensuring--that Microsoft respects our copyrights and complies with our licenses.
from the Free Software Foundation

Naturally, there's some discussion at Groklaw.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »

Well, actually I think they know that fact very well, thats why they've dropped the Novell coupons like hot potatoes.

Microsoft has unilaterally changed the conditions for the Novell Suse certificates that the company sells to its customers....

Microsoft has decided that the Novell support certificates that we distribute to customers will not entitle the recipient to receive from Novell, or any other party, any subscription for support and updates relating to any code licensed under GPLv3.

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 07:48:57 am »

Dealing with the business side of VL for almost a decade I have received a lot of communication asking if I was worried about being sued for this or that. As time went by it became like water off a duck’s back, not concerned at all.
 “We are exempt from all Microsoft patents, claims and proprietary licences.” I know, I cannot make that statement, with any hope of successfully defending it.  Microsoft is simply wasting GNU time and resources. Time to get back to work, just another false alarm.
While talking to a technical salesperson at a Futureshop store a few days back about Vector and Vista. He actually “told”, me to stop knocking Vista. So I said,” Give me a reason, not even a good one just any reason to stop and I will”! With that I was asked to leave the store…. no problem was my response.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:58:47 am »

...While talking to a technical salesperson at a Futureshop store...
I don't bother talking to them any more. IMHO the sales personell at Future Shop are overconfident, undertrained and bordering on narcissistic. They think they know it all but only have  a smattering of technical knowledge, which is, for the most part, just slightly above the normal person who walks in the store. That may be enough to bamboozle some gullible types, but not this guy!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:25:14 pm »

While talking to a technical salesperson at a Futureshop store a few days back about Vector and Vista. He actually “told”, me to stop knocking Vista. So I said,” Give me a reason, not even a good one just any reason to stop and I will”! With that I was asked to leave the store…. no problem was my response.
Regards
Darrell

I had no idea they can even do that. I suppose they would have grounds to kick you out if you harassed other customers or littered or something, but not because you don't like Vista. We are allegedly the fanatics, but I certainly wouldn't treat my technology store like some house of worship when someone who doesn't use or like the One True OS comes in. Oh, and remember, with respect to litter in any event

Quote from: Nathan Explosion
When you see a piece of trash on the ground, don't just stand there, PICK IT UUUUUP

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 01:58:55 pm »

Well, actually I think they know that fact very well, thats why they've dropped the Novell coupons like hot potatoes.

Microsoft has unilaterally changed the conditions for the Novell Suse certificates that the company sells to its customers....

Microsoft has decided that the Novell support certificates that we distribute to customers will not entitle the recipient to receive from Novell, or any other party, any subscription for support and updates relating to any code licensed under GPLv3.

Yeah, they've tried to weasel their way out of it.

Microsoft's approach seems more on the lines of what they can get away with, by bullying or buying. (Witness the ISO OOXML fiasco: just another in a long line of examples.)  I think they decided they needed to add some weaseling and extra bluster to their FUD, to try to get around the GPLv3.  If memory serves, Novell has stated they'll provide GPLv3 code for the coupons, despite MS's insistence otherwise.

I'm glad to see the FSF addressing MS's claims that the GPLv3 won't apply to them.  With the Novell and other more recent deals, they (and those distros) have attempted to evade the GPL's terms, violating it's spirit at the least.  GPLv3 addressed that;  I think it's important that the FSF point out that, yes, the GPLv3 means what it says, and if you distribute GPLv3 code, you're bound by the terms of the GPLv3.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 04:54:49 pm »

I was happy to leave standing around ignorance is like going to the dentist for me anyway. I suppose I could have challenged him a clerk at best. why bother, waste of time.
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: