VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: how to install openoffice.bz2 from 5.0.1Soho?  (Read 1957 times)

soken

how to install openoffice.bz2 from 5.0.1Soho?
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:36:08 pm »

Hello all,
this is my first post here & I already raised some questions........
I downloaded 2 VL versions: 5.0.1 Soho & 5.8 std gold from a local mirror here in my country.
Both versions installed just fine to my ancient computer: Pentium 2, 128MB Ram, 8MB Vga.
I just played 5.0.1 for very short while, then wiped it out & installed 5.8 std instead.
However, 5.0.1 with icewm is much snappier than 5.8 with xfce. AS of writing I am downloading icewm for 5.8 to play with.
The included seamonkey browser is obviously too heavy for my system. Furthermore, Abiword cannot properly open ms word document that I received from school.
On the other hand, my short experience with 5.0.1Soho was exactly the opposite. Firefox (v1) opened the same website just fine + web page scrolling did not stress my eyes at all. Open office (v1.1.4) opened my ms word document properly & its loading time is not bad as well.
For this reason, I am planning to install that firefox & open office from 5.0.1 Soho to my existing 5.8 std gold.
I have checked the cd, firefox is in *.tgz format so I think I can just use 'installpkg' to install.
However, open office is in bz2 format. Can anyone advise me on howto properly install a bz2 package??
Thank you

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: how to install openoffice.bz2 from 5.0.1Soho?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:05 pm »

try "cd / && tar xvf OO.bz2"
that should work

soken

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:06 pm »

Thanks for the tips. However, installation ended with an error "cannot symlink"
I tried to launch from terminal with soffice, openoffice, open office, and ooo but none worked. So I assumed it failed to install.

I managed to install icewm from repo as well as installpkg firefox v. 1. However web page scrolling cannot as smooth as in Soho 5.0.1. In fact, I don't feel any difference running firefox v1 vs included seamonkey. Also it does not make any difference when I am in Xfce or Icewm (webpage scrolling).
I adjusted some parameters in mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action /numlines/sysnumlines as well as mousewheel.withnokey.numlines/sysnumlines & now scrolling is improved.

Another question........
Can you lead me to any guide on howto remove anything that has to do with wireless?
I don't have any wireless card so I intend to remove any wifi related stuff.

Thanks

soken

open office is now installed
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:46 am »

Earlier I tried to extract bz2 on a separate fat (shared partition) & failed with error "cannot symlink to something".
Just now, I copied bz2 to my home folder & extraction did not give any error.
I finally managed to install open office 1.1.4

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 02:04:01 am »

Yes, you can't make symlinks on fat32 (don't know about ntfs, never tried). I found that out some time ago.. I suppose a symlink in linux is not quite the same as a shortcut in windows.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 02:07:44 am »

Can you lead me to any guide on howto remove anything that has to do with wireless?

I suppose the only thing you have to do is go to gslapt, update it, and search for "wireless" and "wifi", then remove the installed packages (about 4 or 5 of them).

Also make sure that wireless isn't turned on in VASM --> Super --> Hardware --> HWSET (it shouldn't be)

stoichyu

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:47:58 am »

I managed to install icewm from repo as well as installpkg firefox v. 1. However web page scrolling cannot as smooth as in Soho 5.0.1. In fact, I don't feel any difference running firefox v1 vs included seamonkey. Also it does not make any difference when I am in Xfce or Icewm (webpage scrolling).
I adjusted some parameters in mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action /numlines/sysnumlines as well as mousewheel.withnokey.numlines/sysnumlines & now scrolling is improved.

Isn't there a smooth scrolling option in firefox/seamonkey? Or is it different from what you mean?
There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836