VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 02:21:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WMP54G Heads up wanted  (Read 2460 times)
Will
Vectorite

« on: August 31, 2007, 05:14:48 pm »

I'm reinstalling Vector(for the conveniance of my windows-using family. Yes I had asked them to give vector a try and, sadly, they seemed to be biased agaisnt linux(for no real reason as all they dois web surf). At any rate I'm trying to figure out if I should be aware of any problems with the systems' wifi card or of there's something I should look for on the card itself that would allow for a better call on what to do. After all, linux, for me, would be near useless without some way to get online(then again so would windows, but xp sees the card with no problems).
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:37:59 pm »

So...uh....

Anybody?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 03:48:38 pm »

It took me 4 seconds to type into Google: WMP54G +Linux, and I get here:

http://linux-wireless.org/Drivers/

which shows that you need ndiswrapper and it will work. Please read our wireless howto, it is explained in there:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1282.0, try out the procedure (not too difficult) and then come back here if you need any more help.

But the short answer is yes, it will work under VL.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 03:51:45 pm »

It takes me less to get fed up with everyone crying 'google' when a questions asked. Appreciate that you included links though. Just the overall tone leaves a bit to be desired.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:16:30 am »

It takes me less to get fed up with everyone crying 'google' when a questions asked. Appreciate that you included links though. Just the overall tone leaves a bit to be desired.

I would like to add the reason for the Google comment is that it appears
everyone wants an answer to the same question. Had you used Google
the answer may have been found. That in would have saved you time
waiting for an answer.

Most of the questions that are asked here could have been answered via google.

This forum does not allow RTFM, which I agree with. However pointing
to the solution and the answer is fine. The point is trying to use resources wisely.

As for wireless does this card work questions, card manufacturers are changing
chips for example the card you are asking about. There are at least 2 different chips
sets being used. The same of other cards as well.

Bigpaws

Will
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:31:33 am »

The trouble is while I know everybody has wireless questions, search  for HERE ducg nothing up. That is why I asked, I don't want googling a generic linux solution if there's something vector-specific that would make thigns different.

I'll have to get a good look at the card before figuring out wha'ts what. Thanks for the input as it helps to get this done BEFORE installing, or at least while i have windows to use as a search tool(I plan on removing windows totally from the target machine).
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:55:40 am »

Your question is clear now.

The first thing to do is make sure what version of the wireless card you have.

Next go to Ndiswrapper: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/

Look up the card in the list of cards and download the driver.

Then go to the installation instructions and print or save those. Then go for the reload
after you understand them.

Vector like slackware usually do not do anything special, in order that you can go to
the website of the software and use that as a reference.

HTH

Bigpaws
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 08:41:23 am »

Ahh, thank you.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 12:56:37 pm »

I use a WPC54GS using the bc43xx module - no ndiswrapper needed.  Perhaps, your WMP card is in the same boat.  Do you know what chipset is used on the card?  Perhaps, lspci will indicate.
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:44:57 pm »

I don't have my box on hand, but thats the first thing I'm going to find out so i can have everything ready on the secondary drive so i can get everything configured that doens't work(the ATI video card is iffy but so long as it works for the basics...i can sorta deal with the lost functionality(or keep an xp partition).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: