VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 08:24:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected dual boot behavior  (Read 2238 times)
Freston
Vectorite

« on: September 07, 2007, 02:11:42 pm »

I'm dual booting Slack and Vector. But I ran into a little unforeseen situation.

The way I have it set up right now, Vector works perfectly. Slackware (clean reinstall after Vector) on the other hand does boot, but on the Vector kernel  Shocked . So that gives some errors, although the system does work, with some unexpected behavior. Also, the Vector bootsplash is displayed at boot when booting Slackware  Huh

This is my lilo.conf:
Code:
root:# cat /etc/lilo.conf
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
append="acpi=force pci=noacpi"
boot = /dev/hda
default = VectorLinux
prompt
compact
timeout = 300
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
bitmap = /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp
# VESA framebuffer console @ bootsplash-high
vga = 791

- - - >8 - snip - 8< - - -

# End LILO global section
# Partition 1: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda1
    label = VectorLinux
    append = "splash=silent acpi=force pci=noacpi"
    read-only
    initrd = /boot/initrd
# Partition 2: Slackware 12.0
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda4
    label = Slackware
    append = "acpi=force pci=noacpi"
    read-only
    initrd = /boot/initrd

Now I've been doing some reading, and it looks as though I need a separate boot partition to dual boot two Linux flavors. please tell me this isn't so  Roll Eyes

Can the above be easily adjusted to get dual boot working? it goes without saying that I want the Slack entry to boot the /boot/vmlinuz on /dev/hda4. But as it seems it boots the same named one on /dev/hda1. It might be very simple - or I might be very simple - but I'm just not seeing the logic behind it.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:28:08 pm »

You don't need a separate boot partition.

Try to re-run LILO setup from within Vectorlinux. Run vasm > super >(root password) > filesystem > LILO > install LILO >

It should pick up your Slackware install and make a copy of the slackware kernel to use. You will still see the Vector bootsplash during the process, but that is normal.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 03:31:34 pm »

the easiest way to fix this is to run vliloconf as root or vasm -> lilo

you need the vmlinuz from slack in the boot dir with vl's vmlinuz vliloconf will do this for you

if you want to do it by hand just call it vmlinuz-slack and change the slack image= line to match

HTH,
Uelsk8s
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:11:26 pm »

Ah! Ok!

I hadn't looked into vasm yet. In hindsight, that would have been a good idea ;-)

Anyway, as vasm seemed to just reset my lilo settings, I did the manual approach. And it works perfectly!

I was afraid the copy&rename of the vmlinuz link would confuse my system, but as it turns out it works very smooth. Thnx!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:00:32 am »

In lilo.conf try to delete initrd = /boot/initrd
under the slackware label. That's how I have it in my lilo.conf and it works fine. I use the same kernel for both.
---snip---
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  initrd = /boot/initrd
  label = Vector
  read-only
  root = /dev/hda8
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  label = Slackware
  read-only
  root = /dev/hda5
image = /boot/vmlinuz-hdd8
---snip---
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 04:59:50 am »

OK, thnx! That's another interesting solution. I'll give it some thought. Don't know if it'll be of use to me right now though, as I'm already thinking to overwrite Slack with Mandriva to study the inner workings of Metisse. I've tried, and failed, to install Metisse over Slack a while back. Being able to compare two distro's side by side may improve my chance of success ;-)

Everyone is always talking about Beryl and Compiz, but I'm really impressed with Metisse.

Ah well... we'll see...
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 05:42:33 am »

OK, thnx! That's another interesting solution. I'll give it some thought. Don't know if it'll be of use to me right now though, as I'm already thinking to overwrite Slack with Mandriva to study the inner workings of Metisse. I've tried, and failed, to install Metisse over Slack a while back. Being able to compare two distro's side by side may improve my chance of success ;-)

Everyone is always talking about Beryl and Compiz, but I'm really impressed with Metisse.

Ah well... we'll see...

Yep, but I think metisse is exclusive of mandriva  Angry.

Here is a video for who wants to see it: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11dan_mandriva-linux-2007-metisse-pager

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 06:45:32 am »

I've wondered if it could be ported.  After all, we are all running Linux.
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:39:08 pm »

Sure it can be ported, it's only exclusive to Mandriva to the extend that Mandriva is the only distro featuring it in the default install options.

The French based 'In Situ project' gives this out. There is a three part howto. It should be doable... But I require some 'study' before being able to do so, as it involves manual labor :-p

No <slapt-get --install metisse> as of yet, or is there? Has anyone tried?   Roll Eyes

Maybe in due time, this deserves a tread of it's own...
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:45:59 pm »

I've been wondering about Metisse for quite a while, just don't have the time to investigate it right now. Sounds a bit more interesting than a certain rotating cube and wobbly windows... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 02:10:19 pm »

The French based 'In Situ project' gives this out

Yes, I remember reading those documents.  I determined I didn't want to accept the challenge.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: