VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 01:17:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: midi  (Read 2985 times)
firedudechad

« on: September 01, 2007, 11:29:10 am »

i cant hear any midi . what do i do?

i have Soho 5.8 RC3

Chad C
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:12:20 pm »

midi files themselves don't contain any audio/music. They contain just midi messages (note on/off, volume up/down, etc) that are sent to instruments. so to actually play a midi file, you need to play it on certain instruments.

Something like timidity ( http://timidity.sourceforge.net/ ) can produce audio when playing those files because it contains instruments. Other programs try to play midi to your midi out (as found on some audio cards), and can be used to control for instance keyboards, synthesizers and drumcoputers.

Bottom line is, that how a midi file sounds completely depends on what you play it on/with. For instance, something that I made on my computer with my synthesizer and drumcomputer attached might sound great here if attached to that hardware, but might not make any sense at all when played on a general midi keyboard. Just because that contains completely different instruments.

If you want to play a midi file that was made with "general midi" in mind, try playing it with timidity++. I haven't tried it myself, but I understand it's more or less the default midi player for linux. You should be able to get it with
Code:
slapt-get --install TiMidity++
I hope somebody else can help you set it up if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 12:24:24 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:08:51 pm »

midi files themselves don't contain any audio/music. They contain just midi messages (note on/off, volume up/down, etc) that are sent to instruments. so to actually play a midi file, you need to play it on certain instruments.

Nice info acher, all this time I thought midi was just a simple music file.  Learn something new here every day.

firedudechad

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:02:12 am »

thanks

i have Soho 5.8 RC3

Chad C
firedudechad

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 08:15:23 am »

OK i installed timidity. now what? is there a way to open the GUI or is it a TUI. i used gsplat to install
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:19:40 am by firedudechad » Logged

i have Soho 5.8 RC3

Chad C
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:23:25 am »

From a terminal, type:

Code:
timidity midifile.mid

You should now hear your midi file!

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:16:53 pm »

Nice info acher, all this time I thought midi was just a simple music file.  Learn something new here every day.

My old computer had a Sound Blaster AWE32 card. Incidentally, there were some great tools for those models under Linux and you could program their MIDI playback component from user level. The awe32 tools I used once (back on Red Hat Linux) came with some incredibly realistic sound patches.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
cintyram
Packager

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 04:25:50 pm »

I cant play midi either.  i suspect my soundcard is not midi capable.
How do i find out the specifics about the soundcard[ if there is one ]

Also there should be a way to send it to software if the sound card does not support it.
i tried timidity and tse3 but nothing works on my machine.

edit:
 i uninstalled the timidity that i compiled, and installed the one available in the repo and things work like a charm:)

well not a charm, but they work. i had to change the port for Kmidi from 0 to 1
also i had manually started the timidity server before using Kmidi
might have to move it into an init script just in case. [ i wonder if that has any cpu hogging issues]

But my haskell program now make music that i can hear. Smiley

-ram
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:59:18 pm by cintyram » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: