VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 12:25:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 070902 - Conky  (Read 3085 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 01, 2007, 04:30:32 pm »

wcs has packaged Conky 1.4.6 for VL 5.8. The package is available for download from the extra repo:

Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/x-apps/conky-1.4.6-i586-2vl58.tlz

Code:
conky: conky ( System monitor )
conky:
conky: Conky is a system monitor for X originally based on the torsmo code.
conky: Conky can display arbitrary information (such as the date, CPU
conky: temperature from i2c, MPD info, and anything else you desire) either
conky: on the root desktop or in its own window. Conky has many built-in
conky: objects, as well as the ability to execute programs and scripts.
conky: Author: The Conky dev team
conky: Website: http://conky.sourceforge.net
conky: License: BSD, GNU GPL

Post feedback about this package here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:33:44 am by easuter » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:11:18 pm »

It is working nice here...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 01:34:21 am »

Great, its been moved to the extra/ repo.

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:54:38 am »

Good feedback on Conky.

Working like it should, it's magnificient on my naughty desktop image.  Roll Eyes

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 05:24:15 pm »

it's magnificient on my naughty desktop image.

Sometimes I think the only reason pseudo-transparency was developed was so that people could still see their naughty desktop images, with compilations running on top Cheesy

If you haven't already, would it be possible for you to test the conkyrc.sample file that is in /usr/share/doc/conky/examples ? (copy it to $HOME as .conkyrc)
Sometimes there are some graphical glitches or it interacts badly with xfce icons... I tried to fix it in the sample file, but don't know if it will work on any machine.

(a very different story when used on kde... if you want a transparent conky, it needs some additional fixes that for now, I haven't put on the sample file that is included in the package)

Thanks a lot!

tncanuck

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:28:34 pm »

I have obtained Conky from the repository. I am running VL5.8 Standard. Running it by just typing Conky, it shows up on my desktop with the first line below Abiword and Gaim icons, over the trash can. I can see the first three lines of the CPU% and MEM% applications, the rest is hiding under and below the task bar, out of the desktop space. I have not looked into how to fix this yet, I would like to see all of it. I am running at 1024x768 resolution. Are there any tricks to re-position it, or to invoke it so I see all of it?

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 06:55:19 am »

Are there any tricks to re-position it, or to invoke it so I see all of it?

Copy the file called conkyrc.sample that is in /usr/share/doc/conky/examples to your home directory and rename it as .conkyrc

Code:
cp /usr/share/doc/conky/examples/conkyrc.sample ~/.conkyrc

This will put it in the top right of the screen, along with some other configurations that I thought were more or less useful for everyone, when I packaged it.

In any case, if you want to change where conky shows up, open that file and change the lines that say "alignment" and "gap":
Code:
alignment top_right

gap_x 12
gap_y 30

Or run conky with the -x and -y parameters to tell it what position to go to when lauching it.
tncanuck

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 03:18:03 pm »

Copying the file and renaming it did the trick. Thanks. I guess I developed the need for a program like this from my first contact with linux under DSL.

tncanuck
 Smiley

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
tncanuck

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:37:41 pm »

I upgraded to VL 5.9 Standard Gold, did a clean install. I had Conky working in VL5.8 Standard Gold, but no such luck with 5.9. Is there something I need to do differently? I am running xfce desktop and Conky will not even show up.

tncanuck

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:59 pm »

conky works fine for me here, using the Slackware 12 package of conky available at www.linuxpackages.net

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 08:11:58 pm »

I upgraded to VL 5.9 Standard Gold, did a clean install. I had Conky working in VL5.8 Standard Gold, but no such luck with 5.9. Is there something I need to do differently? I am running xfce desktop and Conky will not even show up.

There's a Cruxports4slackware script for the latest Conky (I think its in opt, can't check at the moment). I used it and have it running fine in 5.9. Doesn't take long to build.

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: