VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:54:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser Crunch  (Read 13307 times)
Will
Vectorite

« on: September 01, 2007, 07:16:10 pm »

I have always aprpeciated Vectors 'one app for each function' philosophy. However theres something about the last version that bugged me. We had Opera, we had Firefox, We had Seamonkey. Thats THREE different graphical web browsers. I mean really, honestly andtruely, is this needed? Why not pick one(my personal choice is seamonkey for graphical browsing as it also eliminates the need for a sepirate mail client) and focus on making sure it runs flawlessly? The others could always be offeredu p in the repo afterall, and that would free up space on the CD for more apps/ect.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 08:10:01 pm »

SeaMonkey was chosen as the default browser for similar reasons as Puppy did, but also because we have a dedicated SeaMonkey builder/packager/themer/customizer... Wink   However, to avoid the start of a holy war, it was decided to keep FF and opera as optional packages during install.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 08:36:17 pm »

*eyeroll*

Its defeating of your philosophy to bow because of  browser beaters. Just include 'em in the repo and you're set.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 12:21:46 am »

Or you just remove firefox and Opera after install if you don't like them Wink. There hasn't been a release with just one browser for a long time... I remember Dillo being part of everything from 5.0 SOHO up (before that I didn't use VL). Also, I'm pretty sure they included Lynx as well.

I'm glad that VL includes Firefox, not just that weird Seamonkey.

"Vector Linux: When choice matters"

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 12:25:43 am »

Weird?  Huh. Firefox is weird... SeaMonkey's pedigree comes from a long and distinguished line going all the way back to the original Netscape Navigator... Cool

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:48:15 am »

Weird?  Huh. Firefox is weird... SeaMonkey's pedigree comes from a long and distinguished line going all the way back to the original Netscape Navigator... Cool

Hehe, its ironic though that the new Netscape Navigator is simply a rebranded Firefox 2.x package... Cheesy

stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 07:15:19 am »

It's a shame official support for Seamonkey got dropped. Seamonkey just needs to get extensions right. It's just too hard to install/uninstall them and you only have a handful of extensions available. If it were like that, I'd happily dump firefox for seamonkey.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 09:35:59 am »

Let's see.. I have Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, lynx and links. Did I miss any? I don't remember installing any separately.

I routinely use four of those, and I'm happy they are all there. I don't believe in "one app for each task", as no one of them does everything better than all the others. Same thing with media players. It is good to have several tools at your disposal.

As long as it all fits on one CD, having many favorites right there makes sense to me.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 10:59:05 am »

It's a shame official support for Seamonkey got dropped.
Actually, I find it is doing a lot better now than it was with Mozilla after they decided to push Firefox.

Seamonkey just needs to get extensions right. It's just too hard to install/uninstall them...
The latest development branch based on "toolkit" has had this for a while, so it shouldn't be long now.

...and you only have a handful of extensions available.
That's not really true nowadays, just check http://www.seamonkey.be/. Though I agree that some people need extensions that aren't compatible yet (fortunately, I'm not one of them). Of course, it does need a lot less extensions to start with... Grin

Will
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 11:09:08 am »

Well, and maybe this is just me, but really there should only be one browser included on the cd. Its wierd, but when you consider what else you could include on the cd at the expense of immidiate browser options. Hell, if it pops a desktop link up and or its fairly straightforward to create links within the menues/desktop I'd actually preffer dillo/graphical lynx/whatever the bare bones would be included JUST so you ahve an out of the box browser. I'm serious here. Choice is wonderful, and they'd stil lhave that choice. Its just....you know with beryl and updated packages and whatnot(my oppions of beryl are purely my own, and thus not going to be shared till I get along drawn out session wit hthe thing).

Who knows, maybe I'm just nuts for asking.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 07:49:10 pm »

I like having all the browser choices. Opera has been my favorite for a long time and I consider it way ahead of the others. However, there is still some code that doesn't work in Opera, so when I hit one of those sites I usually try Firefox. SeaMonkey doesn't seem wildly different from Firefox to me. I'll often use SeaMonkey instead of Firefox just to buck the excessive enthusiasm for Firefox. Wink  I don't do extensions.

To tell the truth, though, I never put a checkmark by Opera when I'm installing VL. The reason is that the version included is almost certainly out of date and I don't see any reason for waiting for a VL Opera package to update it. As soon as I get VL installed, I use Firefox to go to opera.com and download the latest version. It installs very easily with the included script and by accepting the defaults, updates don't mess up my launchers. So logically, I should say I don't care if Opera is left out from the VL ISO because I download and install it myself.

I think Firefox has to be included simply because of its popularity and the fact that many people migrating from Windows are probably familiar with Firefox. I think SeaMonkey should be included because it's an all-in-one application and is close enough to Firefox that there's no learning curve. And Dillo is very small and fast--not very useful on the Web because it doesn't do javascript or log into sites where you need a password, but it's dandy for viewing HTML that's on your hard drive, such as Help files.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 07:04:15 am »

...Opera has been my favorite for a long time and I consider it way ahead of the others.

Yeahhh, another Opera fan. I feel the same way. I love having a fast browser in which I can browse, do emails, read feeds, check newgroups, chat on IRC, do bittorrent downloads - all in different tabs. Likewise I'm not an extension junkie and besides Opera can do AdBlock and FlashBlock in its own way. The rendering of some sites has been a problem - that will apparently improved dramatically in Opera 9.5 :
http://cybernetnews.com/2007/09/03/cybernotes-exclusive-opera-95-features-video/

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 07:31:25 am »

Ditto on Opera as well, with FF as my backup for sites that don't render properly. If having too many choices with SOHO is a problem, one should look at Standard.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

I -AM- looking at standard. Then again my idea of picking a browser to go in till you can pick something off the repo seems to be an unpopular idea.

Feh, the masses speak I suppose. Glad for the feedback on the thought.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 01:49:17 pm »

Here too  Grin   Preview of 9.5 looks promising.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: