VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:17:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser Crunch  (Read 13192 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 11:04:48 am »

There are two other browsers which deserve a mention; Flock (which I've just installed and is based on Firefox but with some extra features to make blogging and photo sharing easier) and Swiftfox, which is also based on Firefox but optimised for speed.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 05:19:30 am »

I can't help mentioning a couple of browsers based on firefox too:
Vimperator and conkeror.

Both are firefox extensions, so you need original firefox to use them, but fully change its interface with the user.
Conkeror is an attempt to give firefox an emacsy feeling. Now there's conkeror-xr, a new browser that uses xulrunner to run.

Vimperator is a fairly new project but very usable extension for ff that enhances your web experience if you feel at home with vim.

IMHO provided VL fits in a single CD, filling it with plenty of options is not bad, but I would sacrifice options before converting VL in a multiple-cd distro. I was an opera fan until vimperator came out, but I think it's obvious that ff is more mainstream, with less rendering issues.  Any opera fan will know for sure how to install it. 

I don't know how many people does have to pay for downloaded Kb. If there's many people in this situation, shrinking the iso would be a VL 'feature'.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 03:53:00 am »

Thanks kidd, I'm a vim user so I'm going to have a look at vimperator, it sounds interesting.

I agree too that VL Standard at least should remain a 1 CD distro, and would oppose any additions which meant it needed more than one CD.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 04:20:53 am »

Thanks kidd, I'm a vim user so I'm going to have a look at vimperator, it sounds interesting.

Yw. It definately is interesting, apart from moving around websites with hjkl , c-f,c-b and so, buffers are managed as in vim, so gt and gT will bring you to next and prev tab.  :q works, and since 0.5.1, it has an own search method which accepts n and N.  This last version does understand maps, so

:map <Left> :tabprevious<cr> works

Sometime ago, I started a thread (http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3023.0) intended to talk about this kind of apps but nowadays it's fairly inactive.  There are a couple of vim tricks that may be useful for you. Feel free to contribute :p
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 04:24:09 am by kidd » Logged

jimjan

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 07:30:27 pm »

I routinely use four of those, and I'm happy they are all there. I don't believe in "one app for each task", as no one of them does everything better than all the others. Same thing with media players. It is good to have several tools at your disposal. As long as it all fits on one CD, having many favorites right there makes sense to me.

totally agree. browsers are critical tools for web use and no one browser does it all well with all pages. also its great to have them all on a cd for strictly live users like me.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 01:47:58 am »

i dont know whats wrong with opera ,but youtube doesnt work in it anymore.9.5 seems to have issues with the flash plugin  Undecided

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 03:15:57 am »

. And Dillo is very small and fast--not very useful on the Web because it doesn't do javascript or log into sites where you need a password, but it's dandy for viewing HTML that's on your hard drive, such as Help files.
--GrannyGeek

Well GrannyGeek I have never used anything but dillo to post on this forum. And I agree I always install opera by myself. As for seamonkey I just don't like it und don't use it. So it is for me dillo > opera = firefox and when I had no broadband it was lynx. Still very good for reading papers fast.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 10:51:32 am »

I just tried logging in here with Dillo and yes, it did work. I guess the forum must use a different kind of authentication than some of the sites I've tried where the login doesn't work. I do think the forum looks very ugly in Dillo, but Dillo's speed would compensate for that on slower computers or connections.

I find it interesting that you don't like SeaMonkey. Do you also dislike Firefox? I ask because Firefox and SeaMonkey seem very similar to me, and using one is just about like using the other to me except that SeaMonkey includes more "stuff." I could get by with SeaMonkey's e-mail client very well except that I like Opera's M3 better. Another thing I like about Opera is that I very easily use the exact same /mail folder for any Linuxes on my computer, plus whatever Windows is on them. I keep the e-mail folders on the Windows partition (FAT32 regardless of whether it's XP or Vista, as I've set up FAT32 partitions for sharing on all my computers). Then it's just a symlink to the Windows Opera mail folder in my ~/.opera folder. I also have symlinks from Linux to my Opera contacts file (i.e., address book) and my Opera Notes folder (special Opera feature). I could do it with the Bookmarks, too, but for some reason I've never bothered to share them across operating systems.

Does anyone know if there is any development happening with Dillo? I read somewhere that it was dormant, which would be a shame.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 11:06:34 am »

Dillo has problems with sites containing javascript code. This forum, AFAIK use just a regular html form to send the login data.
I like Dillo, even when it cant render some sites very well. As Granny pointed is a good alternative with you have no much resources or if you don't care about the fancy bloated tendency of the today's web designs.
Anyway, I can disable flash, javascript and things like that in the other browsers if I want to. I like Seamonkey and it is my default browser. I use Firefox too. Eventually, I use all of them because I do some web development.
About email I think IMAP protocol is the best. It is hard to get used to it, but at the end is probably the better solution if you use various clients in different boxes.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 11:40:24 am »

Another thing I like about Opera is that I very easily use the exact same /mail folder for any Linuxes on my computer, plus whatever Windows is on them. I keep the e-mail folders on the Windows partition (FAT32 regardless of whether it's XP or Vista, as I've set up FAT32 partitions for sharing on all my computers). Then it's just a symlink to the Windows Opera mail folder in my ~/.opera folder. I also have symlinks from Linux to my Opera contacts file (i.e., address book) and my Opera Notes folder (special Opera feature). I could do it with the Bookmarks, too, but for some reason I've never bothered to share them across operating systems.
I've been doing that with SeaMonkey for years now.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 11:48:04 am »

I've been doing that with SeaMonkey for years now.

Does it work the same way as Opera? A simple symlink to the relevant folder(s) on a Windows partition? I don't have SeaMonkey installed in Windows, so I've never seen the folder arrangement there.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2007, 11:58:30 am »

I've done it in several ways, from symlinking the whole profile (worked, but gave me a few issues, IIRC), symlinking individual files like the bookmarks file, and finally changing the mail directory in the SeaMonkey preferences. The latter is easiest to do as there is a gui interface for it ( Cheesy ) and is pretty much what I do now, apart from sharing the bookmarks. Of course, it all has to be done from the Linux side, as silly old Windows can't mount anything much beyond FAT and NTFS... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

I've done it in several ways, from symlinking the whole profile (worked, but gave me a few issues, IIRC), symlinking individual files like the bookmarks file, and finally changing the mail directory in the SeaMonkey preferences. The latter is easiest to do as there is a gui interface for it ( Cheesy ) and is pretty much what I do now, apart from sharing the bookmarks. Of course, it all has to be done from the Linux side, as silly old Windows can't mount anything much beyond FAT and NTFS... Wink

Opera is easier than that. Smiley You don't have to edit anything. All you do is set up a mail account (Opera Tools menu) and have it leave the mail on the server. Once you do that you have a /mail subdirectory in ~/.opera with several subdirectories. Then I close down Opera, rename that /mail directory to /mail_old, and make a symlink to my Windows Opera mail directory from Linux. That's it. The symlink covers everything in the mail directory including all subdirectories. I don't have to edit any files in Opera's configuration or preferences because as far as Linux Opera is concerned, the symlink is the same as a /mail folder. I can then copy the Windows \mail directory to any computer. The symlinks are unaffected.

As I recall, when I first installed Opera in Windows, I had to make a change from the default so the \mail folder would go directly under \Opera. I also changed the case to lower case to accommodate Linux's case sensitivity. That was an easy one-time setup, and Opera upgrades from then on respect the custom setup.

Of course, if someone has a strong preference for SeaMonkey's e-mail program, all of the above is irrelevant. What matters is having a way to share stored e-mail between Linux and Windows without a bunch of conversions and imports and exports. Does anyone know if Thunderbird allows this, too?

Symlinks are wonderful things!
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2007, 07:50:18 pm »

That I don't like seamonkey may be it is just personal, for one thing it is slower than firefox or opera. I like and use firefox. Just as I do not like mplayer and have no need for it and could never make it play anything for me either, have no need for gimp most of my simple picture manipulations are taken care of by xv and xpaint. I have no need for a browser based e-mail since I am very happy with mainly exmh and claws-mail.

I have used opera since my early and few days in Windows more than 10 yers ago and my mailer then was pegasus.

In the DSL distro you will find an unofficial version of dillo which has some extras I just copied it over to the VL box.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 10:59:28 pm »

Opera is easier than that. Smiley
Easier than selecting a path in the preferences gui?... I don't think so... Grin... Still, you can always symlink it if you want.

That I don't like seamonkey may be it is just personal, for one thing it is slower than firefox
I respectfully beg to differ, and so do many tests I've seen or read.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: