VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 02:00:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.8.6-SOHO-Release Candidate Two  (Read 11424 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 04:31:35 pm »

Is VL 5.9 going to have HAL and DBUS support? Slackware 12 does, but I don't know if that's something that VL wants to have. I personally really want HAL and DBUS included.

I guess I'll find out here pretty soon, I'm downloading at right now.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 07:23:54 pm »

When naming packages for VL 5.9 should I name them with 4vl59 or 4vl60?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 08:03:47 pm »

I was wondering that as well.

BTW I ran the firefox I built with export LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu".  It starts in less then 4 seconds (cold start).  And restarts in less then 3 seconds.  Then I installed the latest firefox in our repos.  It seems to start about a second and a half slower in both counts.  This is a pretty slow box (1 ghz Athlon thunderbird, 512 MB ram)  using VL5.9x.

And the package was the smallest yet weighing in at 6.9MB.  Maybe the old hash values really do take up more diskspace.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:07:02 pm by exeterdad » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 03:57:29 am »

It starts in less then 4 seconds (cold start).  And restarts in less then 3 seconds.  Then I installed the latest firefox in our repos.  It seems to start about a second and a half slower in both counts.

That is a very good improvement!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 07:59:03 pm »

This will be interesting to test. When I get 5.9 installed, I'll try it with Gimp or something similar that takes a relatively long time to load.

Sounds great! My Gimp is HUGE and especially loading fonts, it takes it a while to load. I've trimmed out the fonts to reduce it's loading time, but sure would be great to see it improved.

Please, Let me know how this works out.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 06:18:16 am »

Okay. The gimp version that  comes installed is 2.2.15.  So I went to our vl5.9 sources and downloaded the source and original (I'm assuming) slackbuild script.  To keep the test fair I didn't change anything other than add:
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu"
to the top line and edit the output name of the package so I could tell the packages apart.

To be honest I couldn't really see much difference in load times of the two packages.  The one I made with --hash-style=gnu MIGHT load a half of a second faster.

I did initial startup so gimp could setup the prefs.  Reboot. Cold start. Close.  Warm start.  I started my times from execution until the 3 windows were loaded.  So there should be some human error.

Gimp installed= 6 seconds cold, 5 seconds warm
Gimp rebuilt   =  About the same numbers, maybe a half second faster on both tries.

1 ghz Athlon Thunderbird, 512 MB ram, VL5.9x XFCE

It would seem that this confirms rbistolfi's thoughts about the plugins.

But...  I did test something else.  The gimp installed was a .tlz package.  I'm assuming there was a repack of the original .tgz to save disk space.  So I repacked the gimp .tgz that I had built.  There is a slight difference in size.  Perhaps another way to squeeze more onto our ISO's?

leeh:$ ls -s
total 13000
6514 gimp-2.2.15-i486-1.tlz 
6486 gimp-GNU-HASH-2.2.15-i486-1.tlz

spb37

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 07:23:01 am »

Will VL 5.9 be faster than Slack 12.

Crude but I use  http://scragz.com/tech/mozilla/test-rendering-time
as described in   http://apcmag.com/3097/whats_the_worlds_fastest_browser

to compare firefox between distros or machines. 
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 07:31:01 am »

Thanks for the tip spb37.

But the gnu hash is library linking related.  I will only affect initial startup/load times of the application.  Once the application is up and running, the hash will not affect performance.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 08:18:11 pm »

Right now I've got both 5.8.6rc2 and 5.9Pseudo1 installed.  (VL64-5.9Pseudo0.1 goes on the Gateway this weekend  Grin)  In a way it's a shame 5.8.6 was dropped because it pretty much was ready for prime time if you didn't include Beryl.  The only bugs I've seen:

1.  Grub -- didn't label partitions correctly and didn't choose correct partitions or kernel/initrd images for other Linux partitions.  I had to boot into VL and manually edit my /boot/grub/menu.lst

2.  X Configuration -- Installer set my resolution at 800x600 even though I specified 1024x768.  Every 5.x release has done this and I get a small desktop surrounded by black on my Toshiba laptop.  I had to manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to fix this.  Nothing new here.

3.  pygobject, a dependency for wifi-radar, wasn't installed.  wifi-radar won't start without it.  A slapt-get pygobject fixed this.

That's it and it's a pretty small list.  I didn't install Beryl since I knew it was a problem child. 

Why bother?  PERFORMANCE!  With the newer kernel and whatever tweaks were done KDE simply flies even on my nearly five year old Toshiba laptop (1 GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM).  5.8.6rc2 is faster than 5.8 SOHO.  That, plus pretty much all the patches/upgrades to 5.8 SOHO are already installed.  rc2 has some newer versions of apps and tools than rc1 as well.

Anyway, that's my take on 5.8.6rc2.  I'll use 5.9 for testing and, obviously, to build packages.  My working installation, though, will be 5.8.6rc2 until 6.0 is ready for prime time.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
Vxt

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 12:02:17 pm »

FWIW (MMV)

Good Reads

E.G.

> 'UDF CFg files'

>  'CC = '

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print