VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 07:03:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeze Up  (Read 4362 times)
promethes

« on: September 04, 2007, 02:05:27 pm »

Hello everyone,

I just installed VL on one of my desktops and am having a problem with it.

It seems that my computer will randomly freeze. This can happen in 30 seconds to 30 minutes to 30 hours (ok I haven't left it on for more than a few hours). Sometimes the computer will freeze after pressing a button in the KDE control panel, sometimes when surfing the internet, and sometimes when I let the computer sit there and I am not even doing anything. There does not seem to be anything particular that triggers the freeze.

Being new to linux, I have no idea what the problem could be or how to go about fixing the problem. The install went fine and everything seems to work except for this freezing problem that prevents me from using VL as a primary work environment. Does anyone have any idea what I should try or do?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 03:07:31 pm »

can you tell us the VL version you have installed?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
promethes

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:12:36 pm »

It's a fresh install of 5.8 SOHO.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 03:13:28 pm »

Did you have a previous operating system on it and were you using the same hardware prior to installing VL, and if so did you ever experience the freezing before installing VL?

The reason I ask is that random freezing as you are getting is usually a hardware fault, and in my experience is usually a faulty RAM module or faulty hard drive. If I were you I would try booting a Live Linux CD and see if you get the same problems - if you do it is definetely hardware.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
promethes

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 03:24:08 pm »

I have Windows XP installed on the original hard drive and am installing VL on a new hard drive that I bought. All of the other hardware is the same.

In Windows, I was getting an IRQL_DRIVER_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD every once in awhile but much less frequently than VL's freezing. After failing to fix Windows, I bought this new hard drive and was hoping installing another OS on a separate hard drive would work.

I will try a liveCD later tonight and report on that.

Thanks.
jimwill

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 12:54:07 am »

I've also experienced freeze ups from overheating. You may want to make sure all fans work and the airflow is not restricted/blocked. I have even used a desk fan, with the side off the computer, to add supplemental cooling.
promethes

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 03:51:53 am »

Last night I ran the openSUSE livdDVD for about 2 hours and had no problem. So I tried Memtest86 v1.70. Letting it run overnight, for a total time of 9:44:31, the test reported 0 errors and 28 passes. So I guess the problem is not my memory?

How do I check to see if my computer is overheating? The case does not feel hot to me.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:52 am »

It could be the cpu, though.
Download mprime (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm) and cpuburn-in (http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/) ans test it to the limit.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 06:01:42 am »

How do I check to see if my computer is overheating?

Try downloading lm_sensors from the repositories. There are a couple of forum topics about it, if you have trouble getting it to run.

If your motherboard and cpu have sensors and you have the right kernel modules compiled (it might not be as difficult as it sounds, for me it was all very automatic), you can check the temperatures and fan speeds by just typing "sensors" or by running a program such as conky or ksensors to check it.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 06:26:41 am »

As wcs says run either mprime or burnin. That will heat up your system and report any CPU errors. If that seems to be fine find out your exact make and model of hard drive and download the manufacturer's diagnostic bootable floppy disk to test your hard drive.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
promethes

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 12:18:21 pm »

Well, I'm having more problems.

When I got home today, VL would not boot. It just sat there loading after I choose VL from GRUB. So I decided to try a clean install, but it wont complete. At different times during the install, I get a black screen with a bunch of error messages. The first error is "kernel panic - not synching: fatal exception in interrupt" and then there are a bunch of other errors like do_invalid_op+0x0/0xa0, error_code+0x7c/0x90, a bunch others, and the final one is unkown_bootoption+0x0/0x190. I am not using any boot options as I just press enter at the start.

I don't know what else to do. Does any of this point to a specific hardware problem?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 12:44:08 pm »

Try the hard drive diagnostics as I mentioned previously.

promethes

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:28:44 pm »

I ran the diagnostic test on my new hard drive that I installed VL on and the hard drive was reported as working fine with no problems.

Is there anything else you think I should try?

Thank you for the help so far.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 07:12:35 pm »

Before you started getting the errors in Windows, did you add a pci card in your computer?  I wonder if you are getting irq conflicts.  Sometimes moving pci cards to different slots will fix this.  Especially the slot next to the video card.  Something about shared IRQ addresses or something.  I can't remember.
promethes

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 03:26:44 am »

Nope. I haven't added any pci cards. Around Christmas, I upgraded my power supply and an AGP video card, but everything has been working up to 2 weeks or so ago. Nothing has changed inside the computer since Christmas.

The only thing that changed was moving my computer to my apartment last week. But I was having similar problems before the move.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: