VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:45:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to acess files from knoppix PC in LAN  (Read 2579 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« on: September 06, 2007, 06:38:27 am »

HI!

I just downloaded  the some  iso image under a pc running knoppix in my LAN,i started samba under knoppix 5 .1 already, i can ping another PC in lan running VL5.1,VL5 .1 can ping knoppix also no problem but from the VL5.1 PC I can't access knoppix files at all by "clicking LAN  on the desk top",I need to copy those iso images to my VL5.1 PC.
how to acess files of knoppix on VL5 .1?

a bien tot.......
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:36:06 am »

I would recommend using the 'scp' (Secure CoPy) command.

For example:

If 192.168.0.20 is your Knoppix box then from your Vector box you would type

scp username@192.168.0.20:/path/to/some.iso .

assuming 'some.iso' is the name of the ISO file and it is located in the '/path/to/' directory. 'username' has to have an account on your Knoppix box and you will be prompted for his password before the copy takes place.

The IP address can be an alias if available. I.e., if you can 'ping knoppix' then you can replace the '192.168.0.20' with 'knoppix' in the example.

If the account name on the Knoppix box is the same as who you are logged into on the Vector box then you can omit 'username@' from the command. You will still be prompted for the user's password (the password used on the Knoppix box).

You can log into your Knoppix box from your Vector box using the 'slogin 192.168.0.20 -l username' (that's a lowercase "L") -- this is handy for examining directory contents and changing file permissions. Again, if the 'username' is the same on both boxes then it needn't be specified, the '-l username' can be omitted.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:06:09 am »

In my case,192.168.0.49 as Knoppix box from Vector box,192.168.0.103 as vector .
in Vector console typing
"scp knoppix@192.168.0.49:/home/download/*.iso"  not working at all,it prompted message suggesting adding a target host&file,then inputing
"scp knoppix@192.168.0.49:/home/download/*.iso vincent@192.168.0.103:/home/downloads",still not working,no response at all then I started SSH  server on knoppix, it asked password i input correctly but it prompted as failed and denied and can't get connected and copy the iso. 

while 'slogin 192.168.0.49 -l knoppix' did work,I can see the Iso ,but can't copy it to vector , any command could do the task???Pls. articulate it step by step.

a bien tot
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 06:26:25 am »

Perhaps the comments I posted in this thread address your situation. I still don't have VL 5.8 Standard installed on any of my machines and VL 5.8 SOHO has resolved the issue; so the information I provided is tentative. Perhaps someone with Standard available could look into this.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
thump

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:08:06 am »

Is the knoppix installed to the computer you're using? If it's running as a live cd and the .iso file is on the hard drive of that box, then you may need to add  "/dev/hd*" to your path. where the * in the hd is both the hard drive letter and the partition number. If you d/l'ed it to the knoppix downloads folder, then you probably need to use 'knoppix/download/*.iso' rather  than your user name.
I've used 5.1, and it alway shows the partitions on the machine I'm using it on. The icons are on the left hand side of the screen. If the .iso file is on your the hard drive,  just find out which partition holds your /home partition, and use that device number.

"scp knoppix@192.168.0.49:/knoppix/download/*.iso" <---- if you d/l'ed it using knoppix.

"scp knoppix@192.168.0.49:/dev/hd*/home/download/*.iso" <--- if it's on the home partition of the box knoppix is running on.

Does this make any sense to you. I know what I'm trying to say, but I've not slept in 36+ hours, and it may just be making sense to me.
Either way,
Good luck & hth
Bill
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 05:10:36 am »

Since you are running VL 5.1, these howtos may be of help:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=175.0
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=84.0 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 05:14:43 am by nightflier » Logged
Pages: [1]