VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 05:21:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinu 5.9-Pseudo-1 and 5.9-Pseudo64-0.1  (Read 27780 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 07:05:01 am »

VectorLinux 5.9-Pseudo-2 is available for download here:http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-test/VL5.9-Pseudo-2.iso
md5sum:  b06ca07b4111f256f9c4e205a58f0b5c  VL5.9-Pseudo-2.iso
a delta from 1 to 2 is availabe here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-test/VL5.9-Pseudo-1to2.delta
md5sum:  e4565aa1f3003ee7543dbdd0ce6d3717  VL5.9-Pseudo-1to2.delta

We are almost ready to release a beta at this point.
We just need a few more packages and a little more polish.
The packages submitted so far are looking real good.

There are 2 installers in this release. You can get to the second one by typing "linux2" at the boot prompt.
If someone has the time and a stopwatch, I would appreciate Knowing the time it take to install using both of them.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Zakhary

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 07:21:16 am »

I could help if you like. I'm new here but just installing it twice and
writing down the time it takes sounds simple enough.

I'd like to help. I feel like giving something to the creator(s) of this
excellent operating system.

Zakhary

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 09:17:06 am »

Well.. I installed VL 5.9 pseudo 2 using both install methods.

The default method (without the "linux2" boot command) was apparently an all-text option.
It showed white text on black backround without the blue boxes.
The install took 23 minutes. From the "Here we go" message to the "Installation done" message.

The other method (the linux2 option) was showing the blue-boxes like seen on
vector 5.8. The install took 39 minutes... that's 16 minutes more than the other option...
could this be right Cheesy ? hopefully I didn't do anything wrong Cheesy

I'd say (yeah.. like someone cares what I think Cheesy ) definately go with the "text only" method if it really
is that much faster. It's not like the "blue-boxes" are providing much extra eye-cande or anything Cheesy

And anyway.. If  - by just disabling some eye-candy - something can be made faster... always do it Cheesy

Some notes (could be useless.. just posting to make sure) :
- The first install option seemed to be doing something wrong... because at the end
it claimed it was installing package 431 of 428. Where as the linux2 method did not seem to do this.

- Also the "show boot image 640x480" option did not work after the first installation method.

- There were two shortcuts for "vector docs" when logging in as root on runlevel 4.

- There were a shortcut for "gaim" on the desktop when logging in as root on runlevel 4 (which did not seem to work...
it opened somekind of text document)

Well... hopefully I was of some help here. Or - atleast - did not harm anyone(/thing). Cheesy

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 09:32:45 am »

Zakhary,
Thats exactly what i was after.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 11:09:49 am »

I found a mistake with Pseudo-2 that should only affect those with SATA drives.
a fixed ISO is here here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-test/VL5.9-Pseudo-2.1.iso

a delta from 2 to 2.1 is availabe here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-test/VL5.9-Pseudo-2to2.1.delta

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused,
Uelsk8s
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:25:52 pm by Joe1962 » Logged
Zakhary

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 06:28:17 am »

How is the next release (beta???) coming along? Cheesy
Any news?
Can't wait for a brand new VL standard *drool* ....

fvj

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 12:48:54 am »

Hi folks,

I'm a French user playing with VL from 5.1 (I still have it working on a 166 MHz Compaq laptop!). When I've seen a 64 bits version, even as a test,  I couldn't let it and install it, for my pleasure, because I'm an advanced user, but no packager, programmer or coder. I'm agree that it should give such a version of VL, just like all the others big one, because today there is a lot of 64 bits CPU outside.
So does it help you people of the dev' team if I give some feedback? I can provide you my .log files, dmesg, hardware list or whatever you need to give a little help getting that baby up and running = : )

For the moment, here what's happened with a fresh install on a AMD 64 3700+ on Asus K8N mainboard with 1 Go DDR-1 Ram, on a SATA-1 HD:

- quick and easy install, like always. I didn't take a stopwatch, but I would say between 20 and 30 minutes.

- Xorg configured itself good with the free driver (no problem with 1600x1200) and then I could install the NVidia proprietary driver without trouble, with Direct Rendering activated (sorry if you are shocked = ; )

- the onboard LAN (nForce) was not recognized at install time, but then just after the first boot: I've put my fixed IP adress, Gateway, DNS and done!

- Flash Player is working "out-of-the-box" with sound, thanks nspluginwrapper.

Now the "problems" (that are surely easy to fix, I just installed yesterday and don't have searched the answers for now...):

- in dmesg "i2c_adapter i2c-2: SMBus Quick command not supported, can't probe for chips".
---> It appears two times one after the other.

- in Terminal "xmodmap:  unable to open file '/home/fvj/.Xmodmap' for reading
                    xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting."
----> the same appears if I su to root (... '/root/.Xmodmap' ...)

- if I put a CD or USB stick, an icon appears on the Desktop, but if I try to open it (double- or right-click), I got the following error message:
  "mount failed - Unable to mount "Disk":
  A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
  (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")"
---> But the manual mounting is working anyway...

So that's all I've noticed for now, but I will test (and enjoy) it further & deeper.
Greetings from France.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 06:31:40 am »

fvj,
hello, and welcome.
thanks for the feedback on the 64bit VL.
Work on 64bit is continuing but it lags behind 32bit.
there will be a 64bit VL released.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
fvj

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 07:11:31 am »

Bonjour Uelsk8s,

it's a pleasure to send feedback on VL, because it's speed, slim and somehow easy (or logical like mr. Spock would say = : )
I've found some topics on the forum about the real interest of 64 or 32 bits, the benchmarks, the loads, calculs and everything... Very interesting to think about if one really need it or it's just that the publicity of the companies who made us want it... Anyway, I'm too busy testing various Operating System to really work with my computer and to notice any improvement = ; )
But long life to VL 64 bits if it goes further, and when it can't, because nobody can do the job for 32 AND 64 at the same time, then better a good working 32, that's MHO.... But the community here look like full of good will and possibilities.

So if anybody has the trouble that I've had,   "mount failed - Unable to mount "Disk":, here is the solution

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/slackware-linux-help/97981-usb-flash-disk-mount-problem.html

Just put your user to the plugdev group in /etc/group et voila! Now CD, DVD and USB are mounting, unmounting and ejecting. A double-click mounts and opens Thunar, a right-click unmounts or ejects, as it should....

Now I will try to get the two others "problems" I have and keep you people informed.

Salut,
FvJ
fvj

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 10:44:51 am »

Salut à tous,

here is how to get rid of the error messages:

- in Terminal "xmodmap:  unable to open file '/home/fvj/.Xmodmap' for reading
                    xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting."
----> the same appears if I su to root (... '/root/.Xmodmap' ...)

I have understood that Xmodmap allows to make land specific keyboard map ( like here for a french one http://www.linux-france.org/article/nation/Xmodmap.fr-saratxaga.gz), is old and now deprecated!
It is true that, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, Option  "XkbLayout" "fr" does the job really good.
So, if we don't use it, we don't need it and, because it is the Terminal which complains about that file, I've had a look in the Bash configuration file, in /home/(user)/.bashrc and /root/.bashrc.
Bingo, we see :

#use custom keymap
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

so

#use custom keymap
#xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap

It's surely not a 64 bits VL problem, perhaps a VL 5.9, I don't know, but I can't remember having seen it in VL5.8 Standard Gold and Live CD VL5.8-Beryl...

Ok à la prochaine

FvJ
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 11:56:38 pm »

I redownloaded and reinstalled and could now get X running.

However, as on all slackware distros having a Davicom external eth card the Internet connection has to be fiddled first.

rmmod tulip
modprobe dmfe
blacklist tulip
set yes to use dhcp in rc.inet1.conf
and finally
rc.inet1 start

Is there no way in slacks that this would not be necessary? Fedora, DSL and Ubuntu do it right.

Further as reported in another post leaving X via logout or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace blanks the screen and the only keys working are Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot. This happens as well in slackware-12 and the clones slax and absolute-linux based on slack 12. It does not happen in slack-11 and its clones.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2007, 07:51:40 pm »

I redownloaded and reinstalled and could now get X running.

Further as reported in another post leaving X via logout or Ctrl-Alt-Backspace blanks the screen and the only keys working are Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot. This happens as well in slackware-12 and the clones slax and absolute-linux based on slack 12. It does not happen in slack-11 and its clones.
Unquote

This was now solved by upgrading all the x*/X* from the slackware current/x as Uelsk had suggested. Thank you!

And yes all works well in VL-5.9, adding my VL-5.8 home and usr/local partitions I would not even know where I am. Nothing hangs all programs working properly.

On installation, however, when the program vlati was coming-up for installation the system would freeze. Happened twice so I did not install it anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: