VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:40:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install inside a folder  (Read 2187 times)
fastc0der

« on: September 07, 2007, 01:34:34 am »

I am new to linux, after much thought i decided to shift to linux, of the available flavors vector seemed to fit the bill Smiley

Now i don't want to completely abandon windows(xp). Problem is, can I install vector inside a folder on an existing partition, is mandatory to create a seperate partition or use a whole partition for it.
Secondly, should i necessarily create a paritition for swap separately, cant it be done like in windows where the page file does not take a separate partition?
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 02:01:19 am »

I am new to linux, after much thought i decided to shift to linux, of the available flavors vector seemed to fit the bill Smiley
Yehey! Cheesy

Now i don't want to completely abandon windows(xp). Problem is, can I install vector inside a folder on an existing partition, is mandatory to create a seperate partition or use a whole partition for it.
No you can't install it in a folder, sorry. You have to create a partition if you want to install it to the hard drive. You can however, use the livecd to try vector, and you can make it save changes to a file in your hard drive.

Secondly, should i necessarily create a paritition for swap separately, cant it be done like in windows where the page file does not take a separate partition?
You don't really have to make a swap partition if you don't want to, but it would be good to do so. Yes, it is possible to create a swap file, however I'm not quite sure of the performance.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 02:39:43 am »

Problem is, can I install vector inside a folder on an existing partition, is mandatory to create a seperate partition or use a whole partition for it.

Not really. There used to be a distribution called DragonLinux which employed this method, but it is to my knowledge no longer available.

What you might try instead is to install VirtualBox and then run Vector as a guest OS.

Adding a swap file is quite easy in Linux.

First you have to create a file (one filled with zeros will do):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap.img bs=1024k count=256

The above command will create a 256 Megabyte file in the top-level directory. You will want to be 'root' when you create it.

Second, you format the file as swap:

mkswap /swap.img

Finally, you add the following line to your '/etc/fstab' file:

/swap.img none swap sw 0 0

Executing 'swapon -a' will then activate your swap file.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:12:08 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:02:10 am »

Problem is, can I install vector inside a folder on an existing partition, is mandatory to create a seperate partition or use a whole partition for it.
I don't think so but it is not really a big deal to create a seperate partition, even assuming Windows has consumed your entire hard drive with its own partition. The steps would be:
1) clean up your Windows files and defrag.
2) get a Linux Live CD such as qtparted CD or system restore CD or almost any other Live Linux CD.
3) boot your mahcine from the Live CD
4) run qtparted and reduce the size of the Windows partition to give you empty hard drive space.
5) run the VectorLinux install CD ...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
fastc0der

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:37:55 am »

I am sorry that I forgot to mention a problem I have with my hardware. I have a 2.4ghz p4, 512mb, d845gvsr mobo.This setup was running without any problems for the last 4 years, until recently I have been experiencing overheating problems with the cpu. If I use it with more than 85% cpu usage for more than 5 minutes, the system turns off immediately, but if I manage to keep it under that value I can run it without any problems for the whole day. I tried many solutions from the net, but they didn't last.

Now when I was installing vector, after the initial setup, it started extracting the compressed files, this is where I think the cpu was used at 100% and within minutes my system turned off. Now I think, I cant install any os, not even windows coz it will also use the cpu to the maximum during installation. So is there any way that I can install it on a virtual machine and transfer it to the partition coz I can limit the cpu usage using third party applications when its installing on the virtual machine. I've seen real machine being replicated on a virtual machine, is it possible the other way?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 12:43:51 am by fastc0der » Logged
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:19 am »

It sounds like you need a new cooler on the CPU.

Eric
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 05:49:14 am »

It sounds like you need a new cooler on the CPU.

Thats probably is. I had similar symptoms before and the new fan solved it.

About the install, I think the best quick fix is to unplug the hd, plug it in other box, run the vl installer as usual. Then put back the hd in the original box, login into tui mode and run the hardware config again from vasm. That will live you -hopefully-  with a working system.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 09:03:45 am »

Before you try replacing the fan - two things: 1) are all the fan fins clear of dust and I assume the fan is actually working? 2) have you renewed the heatsink compound between the fan base and the CPU die?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: