VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 10:39:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DI-604+ router repair  (Read 6758 times)
vincent2
Vectorite

« on: September 07, 2007, 04:12:12 am »

Hi!

Due to thunder storm ,DI-604+ router was not working properly, now can only function as 4 socket  switch, can't get connected with ISP's lan via PPPOE while typing "192.168.0.1" in browser still can configure the router and from the interface menu it says router's running without error.I  checked the printed circuit board with volt meter, found that  the transistor Q1 (near crystal vibrator )seemed abnormal( package in IC  marked as MM1117/AE445), would replacement  work?
Best bet  I can get a schematic diagram of DI604,
while D-link refuse to provide also THEY RUTHLESSLY REFUSE TO REPAIR IT while warranty only last 1 year, also the crap was made in cina, they even refuse to sell me another di604+ PCB.........................what a yankee corporatism Dlink again....

a bien tot     
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 06:25:24 am »

they even refuse to sell me another di604+ PCB

Unfortunate, but understandable.  How would they deal with the warranty on the new PCB?  At any rate, it's certain that if it was available, that a replacement PCP would cost more than replacing the entire unit.

I've had good luck with my di604.  Not so good with Lynksis routers I've owned in the past.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 06:28:42 am »

Due to thunder storm ,DI-604+ router was not working properly, now can only function as 4 socket  switch, can't get connected with ISP's lan via PPPOE while typing "192.168.0.1" in browser still can configure the router and from the interface menu it says router's running without error.
I am amazed that you even get that far if the unit was affected by a thunderstorm - usually they are completely dead afterwards. Did you try just resettting the unit? There is a method to completely reset them - somewhere in your manual, did you try that?

I  checked the printed circuit board with volt meter, found that  the transistor Q1 (near crystal vibrator )seemed abnormal( package in IC  marked as MM1117/AE445), would replacement  work?
Testing transistors in-circuit is not a foolproof method and without a circuit diagram which shows typical voltages at each transistor junction you are kind of flying in the dark. If it was affected by a thunderstorm it is likely all the CMOS components would be dead.

while D-link refuse to provide also THEY RUTHLESSLY REFUSE TO REPAIR IT while warranty only last 1 year
I know of no common civilian electronic items that have warranties longer than one year and if it is out of warranty they will refuse to repair it without charge. DI-604's are very inexpensive nowdays and it really is hardly worth their time (or even maybe your time  Wink ) to repair it.

, also the crap was made in cina
Where have you been lately? Everything is made in China!!!  Cheesy

what a yankee corporatism Dlink again
Careful there - we have quite a few nice yankees on this forum.  Cheesy ...so we try to be kind to all, not disparage anyone, nor discuss religion and politics!  Cheesy

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:02:28 am »

I am amazed that you even get that far if the unit was affected by a thunderstorm - usually they are completely dead afterwards.
Not really, in our long experience with thunderstroms at our Institute, we've never had a completely dead network switch, they just loose a few ports, presumably the ones with cables that run closer to the voltage surge caused by the lightning strike, so they get a higher induced spike. Pcs also tend to survive with a fried network card (if not onboard).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:24:33 am »

D-link OEMed most of their line of products @ cina, of courese I 'd always prefer the routers/elctronics made in elsewhere(such as japan/filipine/europe, etc.), but not availalable  from the shops, especially in north america, in japan very easy to purchase reliable quality of router locally made.

In Filippine/EU Di604+ still  a bit expensive.

Do hope someone could share their schematic diagrams here!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:48:13 am »

Do hope someone could share their schematic diagrams here!
I just have the unit, no paperwork.  I doubt a schematic was included anyhow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: