VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 02:47:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 070908 - Kompozer 0.7.10  (Read 2349 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: September 07, 2007, 03:31:29 pm »

exeterdad has packaged the latest Kompozer release for VL 5.8. Get it from the testing repository, along with the source code:

Source: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/source/testing/x-dev/kompozer/
Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing/x-dev/kompozer-0.7.10-i586-1vl58.tlz

Code:
kompozer: kompozer (Html editor)
kompozer:
kompozer: Unofficial bugfix release for NVU. It's a complete Web Authoring
kompozer: System that combines web file management and easy to use WYSIWYG
kompozer: (What You See Is What You Get) web page editing. Kompozer is designed
kompozer: to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical
kompozer: computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking
kompozer: web site without needing to know HTML or web coding.
kompozer: License: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
kompozer: Author:  Original author- Mozilla, now by KazĂ© <kaze@kompozer.net>
kompozer: Website: http://www.kompozer.net/

Post feedback here.

roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:47:44 am »

I can't get it to run in 5.8 SOHO. There's no menu entry that I can find, and typing 'kompozer' in a terminal results in nothing - no response and no error messages.

Eric
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:32:24 am »

Quote from: roseway
I can't get it to run in 5.8 SOHO. There's no menu entry that I can find, and typing 'kompozer' in a terminal results in nothing - no response and no error messages.
Kompozer installs and runs just fine on my 5.8 SOHO. The menu entry is under "Development", and running "kompozer" from a terminal works just dandy here. perhaps you should try
Code:
slapt-get --install --reinstall kompozer

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 03:51:04 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it made no difference unfortunately. All the files seem to be present under /usr/lib/kompozer-0.7.10, and after typing 'kompozer' there is a process called kompozer-bin running, but no screen or terminal output of any sort.

Eric
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 06:41:25 am »

roseway, I have faith in your VL skills.  But I must say something seems fishy.  Kompozer not working is one thing, but the menu entries not showing up as well is another.  Especially since The Headacher is running it fine.

Let's start simple.
Verify the existence of the menu items:
ls -l /usr/share/pixmaps/kompozer.xpm
ls -l /usr/share/applications/kompozer.desktop
Verify the existence of the kompozer sym link:
ls -l /usr/bin/kompozer
Is a instance of kompozer running in the background preventing kompozer from firing up?
ps aux | grep kompozer
Then kill any process ID's  of kompozer listed (except for the command you just ran):
kill XXXX  XXXX etc.
Try executing kompozer again once all the processes are gone.
Have you installed a previous version of kompozer?  It is known that this version of kompozer will not run if you have installed language packs from a previous version of kompozer or NVU.  Delete or rename ~/.kompozer (in your home dir).
Try running again, to create new .kompozer.  Did it run?  If not, did it create a new .kompozer anyway?
Still no luck?  Try uninstalling the kompozer package, remove or rename ~/.kompozer.  Download the package from the link above somewhere on your hard disk.
Install:
installpkg kompozer-0.7.10-i586-1vl58.tlz
See if it works now.
When trying to run kompozer from the command line is there any errors?  Does it exit and return you back to your username, or does it appear like it's running something?

These are things I would try if I was sitting in front of your machine  Smiley
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 07:21:19 am »

I had already done most of those things, but I just did them again in the order you listed them. The .desktop and .xpm files are in place, and the symlink is present. No spurious kompozer processes are running. Deleting ~/.kompozer and running kompozer from a terminal recreated the ~/.kompozer directory, but nothing else happened. Downloading the package and installing it manually made no difference.

I also tried downloading the binary version from the kompozer site, and this didn't work either, so I don't think your package is the real problem. I downloaded the source and did a quick and dirty build, and it worked fine.

The only clue I've come up with is that, when installing the package there was a message which said "/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libvmware-vix.so.0 is not a symbolic link". I do have VMWare installed, but what it has to do with kompozer I have no idea.

Eric
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 07:38:12 am »

there was a message which said "/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libvmware-vix.so.0 is not a symbolic link".
Was that from the VL version or from the one you built yourself?
Kompozer was built from a clean 5.8 Standard install with only "requiredbuilder" added.  Then I ditched the install for this vl5.9x adventure. I'm puzzled and relieved that the kompozer tarball you downloaded didn't run for you.  I can only conclude that there is something unique about your current SOHO configuration to keep it from running.  Especially since you were able to build and run your own kompozer.

But what's really got me pulling my hair out is why your menu entries aren't showing up and The Headachers are. What are you guys using for window managers or desktop enviorment?
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:09 am »

Was that from the VL version or from the one you built yourself?

The message came from the VL version, immediately before the message saying that it was running the install script.

Kompozer was built from a clean 5.8 Standard install with only "requiredbuilder" added.  Then I ditched the install for this vl5.9x adventure. I'm puzzled and relieved that the kompozer tarball you downloaded didn't run for you.  I can only conclude that there is something unique about your current SOHO configuration to keep it from running.  Especially since you were able to build and run your own kompozer.

Yes, there's nothing particularly unusual about my setup. It's 5.8 SOHO with all the updates and a few extra packages installed from the repos. The only non-VL package which is installed is VMware.

But what's really got me pulling my hair out is why your menu entries aren't showing up and The Headachers are. What are you guys using for window managers or desktop enviorment?

Nothing odd I'm afraid. Smiley Just the normal KDE from VL.

I've got another SOHO installation which I can fire up on a different machine. When I get the chance I'll try kompozer on that.

Eric
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 08:23:36 am »

I do have VMWare installed, but what it has to do with kompozer I have no idea.

I misread this.  I thought you said you did not have VMWare installed.  That's why I was so confused, since I knew for  a fact I did not. I'd bet if you ran /sbin/ldconfig right now as root you would get that same message.  It just was visible to you during the kompozer install.
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 09:44:24 am »

You're right. So that was a red herring.

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: