VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 03:02:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: How would you like to see the wiki structured
Mirror the forum categories - 0 (0%)
Beginer, Intermediate, and Advanced categories - 3 (20%)
a combination of the above two options. - 8 (53.3%)
someting completely different. - 4 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiki Structure  (Read 7567 times)
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« on: September 07, 2007, 08:51:13 pm »

The Vector Wiki structure is fine now but if it starts to grow it is going to need some structure for easy navigation. We've all seen good Wiki's and bad Wiki's. And we want this to be a useful Wiki.

Xeon has said "I do nothing without agreement from the other users"
So I thought it was time to agree on some basic structure so all of those HOW TO's waiting to be written can be properly interlinked. .......ONCE!!!

(by the way this is my first attempt at a poll and I could not figure out how to put it in the Wiki thread)

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:12:37 pm »

Intermediate is unnecessary and will just cause grief when trying to categorize a page. Pages should be either 'beginner' or 'user'. Anyone who has advanced past the stage of beginner (or is endeavoring to do so) should be at least knowledgeable enough to decide for herself whether a presentation is at a level she can comprehend.

Links should be provided on beginner pages to "escalate" to more advanced presentations of information.

In addition, there should be a 'developer' category.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:35:19 pm »

Thanks for the poll, I'll definately keep an eye on it. After a while i will combine all ideas in a form of a structure, and present it

Can I ask: what do you mean with mirroring the forum? I just see a bunch of how to's in the forum without some structure. Basically all i have been doing is putting them safely over (mirroring).

I like the idea of having a beginner and user part, as saulgoode introduced

Xeon
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:38:37 pm by Xeon » Logged
Toe

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:52:02 pm »

I think for the 'top' of the hierarchy a subset of the forum might be a good idea, namely FAQs/Common Troubleshooting, Docs, and How-Tos.  If an article is targeted more at 'advanced' users, I think just tagging it as such in some way would be the better way to go.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 05:56:08 am »

All the suggestions here are really good. I just want to add this: the gentoo wiki is great and we should take it as a model for contents and organization. I think the main page is a little hard to navigate though. The hardware section is great.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 07:15:36 am »

I'm choosing not to vote.  Only because I have very little knowledge of wiki's.

I just know they are valuable and contain what I want  Cheesy

But I have trouble navigating wiki's for some reason.

Drive on VL wiki masters!
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 02:27:42 pm »

Xeon
what do you mean with mirroring the forum?
I meant that each "HOW TO" goes in a sub category named after each forum category.

The following are examples  of fictional pages in sub categories under the "HOW TO" category

Code:
[[howtos:Installation_Updates:Install Vector]]
[[howtos:Kernel:Kernel compilation]]
[[howtos:Hardware & Drivers:ATI vs Nvida]]
[[howtos:Networking_Security:Set up wireless networking]]
[[howtos:Software General:Install software from Source Code]]
[[howtos:Web & Internet:Browser Comparisons]]
[[howtos:Office & Printing:Lexmark Printer Driver Installation]]
[[howtos:Multimedia_Games:Counter Strike on Vector]]
[[howtos:Portable VL:Vector on your USB stick]]
[[howtos:X-Rated:Alternate methods of configuring X]]
[[howtos:Technical General:How to auto start a daemon before login]]

In the first example the article "Install Vector is in the "HOW TO" category and in the sub category "Installation".

"Docs", "F.A.Q.s", and some other categories could belong to a higher category ex.
Code:
[[news:Style guidelines released]]

saulgoode
Pages should be either 'beginner' or 'user'
I like that idea. Now how do we distinguish them apart. Perhaps some kind of logo.
Before this project began I was toying with the idea of setting up a wiki this winter for beginers (me). I had the name 'NEWBSAUCE' in mind and imagined a baby penguin in a diaper being spoon fed. My motto was going to be "Strap on your bib,". Perhaps some of the artists can come up with something like this.
Or we could just go with a different page colour.

rbistolfi
the gentoo wiki is great and we should take it as a model for contents and organization
It is and we should take note of both it's strengths and weaknesses.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »

Scribus has a good wiki, too:
http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

I can actually find things.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:13:03 pm »

Puppy Linux has a well organized wiki also. Worth learning from.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxMainPage

Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 09:11:11 am »

If any of you has some more suggestions, please drop them soon, I hope to make the structure and make the wiki work soon.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:04 am »

Could we use tags for classifying pages?

Easuter wireless how-to could be Beginner,networking

larkl script on http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4278.msg28008#msg28008 could be tagged as intermediate,script,and networking

We should stablish a finite number of tags, otherwise number of tags with only one article will grow in exponential way.

Forum has a tree form, but I think the great point of wikis is the interrelations between articles and words.

If this post was on the wiki, it should be tagged as wikiStructure,beginner, random_thoughts  Smiley

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 04:07:07 pm »

Could we use tags for classifying pages?
I am not sure but I think the namespaces feature of DokuWiki is the same thing.
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:namespaces

We should stablish a finite number of tags, otherwise number of tags with only one article will grow in exponential way
Exactly my point.

Xeon you might want to check out the templates available at
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki%3Atpl%3Atemplates

I see some of them offer specific side panels for specific namespaces. Depending on the namespace structure you choose perhaps side panel decoration (colour or images) could aid in navigation. But if begginer articles appear in each category then it may be easier to just mark individual pages with an image or tag like your html author insert.

There are lots of choices and some may have features that affect how you want to organize things. For the most part however style is an important but separate issue.
I kind of like the dark blue one here.
http://battlehorse.homelinux.net/dokutpl/doku_btl_blue.png

Toe

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 10:09:42 pm »

The difference with DokuWiki's namespaces is that an article can exist in only one namespace.  In fact, that's pretty much the whole point of namespaces. With a regular 'tagging' system, on the other hand, an article can have all the tags you want.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:11:15 pm by Toe » Logged
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »

So namespaces are structure which is what I was after. But tags are like the keywords that robots use to index web pages?

I like it. I presume that helps when one uses the search function. Or am I totally missing the point?
Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 01:50:57 pm »

well, afaik dokuwiki doesn't come in with built in keywords.

@ inthewoods, afaik most search engines look for keywords inside <meta> tags.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: