VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 01:10:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HPLIP  (Read 2208 times)
TC

« on: November 30, 2007, 10:39:16 am »

Hey all, I have down loaded HPLIP so I can run my HP6210 All-In-One Printer.  Down loaded to desktop because that is the only place I have figured out to down load programs to so far.  Anyway, when I open the program it opens in KWrite and does not install as I would hope so I could get my printer running.  What am I missing when it comes to installing this program or any program so I can run them on my VL 5.8 SOHO Deluxe OS, thank you, TC.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:19:50 am »

The easiest way to install is to use the gslapt package manager. It should be on your start menu under "system". You will need the root password. When it opens up, first hit the Update button. When it's done, type hplip in the search field and click "Search". It should appear in the field below. Click the square on the left and select "Install". Then click the "Execute" button and continue from there.

It may need some configuring after installation, post when you get that far.
TC

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:20:19 pm »

I have successfully installed the hpllip from Gslspt I get an information-KDE Control Module pop up that says "Test page successfully sent to printer Officejet_6200".  Then I get a flashing Catasrophe!-Knotity at the bottom with the following, "A print error occurred.  Error message received from system: /usr/bin/lpr -P 'Officejet_6200' '_#1' '/opt/kde/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps': execution failed with message:  /usr/bin/lpr: The printer or class was not found.  I have spent all day reading my manuals and going to suggested sites on the net downloading all kinds of so far useless stuff because I am where I started hours ago.  Ready to pull out what little hair remains with much frustration.  I had no idea this was going to be this difficult when I started.  Please tell me it will get easier, thank you, TC.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 01:10:25 pm »

I have successfully installed the hpllip from Gslspt I get an information-KDE Control Module pop up that says "Test page successfully sent to printer Officejet_6200".  Then I get a flashing Catasrophe!-Knotity at the bottom with the following, "A print error occurred.  Error message received from system: /usr/bin/lpr -P 'Officejet_6200' '_#1' '/opt/kde/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps': execution failed with message:  /usr/bin/lpr: The printer or class was not found.  I have spent all day reading my manuals and going to suggested sites on the net downloading all kinds of so far useless stuff because I am where I started hours ago.  Ready to pull out what little hair remains with much frustration.  I had no idea this was going to be this difficult when I started.  Please tell me it will get easier, thank you, TC.

TC,

It will get easier for you. Here's what you need to understand to get things to work.

1) HPLIP provides drivers for the printer. It also provides tools for you to monitor your printer. However, HPLIP doesn't do the actual dirty work of printing. For that, you need CUPS (Common Unix Printing System), which is installed on all VL boxes by default.

2) CUPS does the dirty work of making printing work. You will need to set up CUPS to use your printer for printing. You can get into setting up CUPS by running vasm. Once you see the VASM window,  click on SUPER (provide root user's password when prompted) -> SERVICE -> CUPSWEB. Click OK when the dialog about the CUPS Configurator appears. The default web browser should launch.

Once you see the CUPS web interface, click on Add Printer. Follow the prompts and complete the information requested about your printer. Once the printer is added, you should be able to print from any application.

Hope this helps. Post again if you're still having problems.

Thanks,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
TC

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:14:28 pm »

JohnB316, Thank you for the input concerning my printer it was very much helpful, TC.  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: