VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 10:25:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: vpackager name change? Everyone please suggest!  (Read 3268 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: September 10, 2007, 04:39:48 am »

When I started the vpackager project, I remember putting this up for suggestions here... Here is the problem...

There is another project out there called vPackager, Some virtualization company has renamed one of their projects to vPackager... My project used to be at the top of the screen when you googled "vpackager", not anymore...

That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing my project's name. Another would be, so that they dont try to hunt me down for using their name (although I had it first, but they added a TM to theirs already)

With that said, I'm asking everyone to please submit your ideas to come up with a good fitting name for the project.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:15:00 am »

Well ... it's too bad they stole your project's name. Sad  Why not just call it something like Vector Packager, or VLPackager, or Vector Linux Packager, or Easy Packager, or Power Packager, or something like that?

P.S.  Please don't make it one of those recursive acronyms ... those suck.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 06:30:22 am »

VecPac ?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:30 am »

That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of changing my project's name. Another would be, so that they dont try to hunt me down for using their name (although I had it first, but they added a TM to theirs already)

I didn't find anything in TESS. Many will put TM on a product hoping to scare others off and not even obtain a trademark. Trademark searchs and lawyers are expensive and I highly doubt this company actually went through the steps to obtain one.  Write the company and let them know you object to the name change.

Here's a link to the Trademark Search page...

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:07:01 am »

Trademark searchs and lawyers are expensive and I highly doubt this company actually went through the steps to obtain one. 

http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

Exactly... which is why I dont want to get in a fight for a name...

Write the company and let them know you object to the name change.

I doubt my word would have that much of an impact... Unless .......
Someone else *ahem* Vec *ahem* ... wrote it, claiming that their renaming pf the program conflicts with part of the distro...

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:59 am »

P4V (Packager for VectorLinux)
SourceMagick

If the tool were designed more generically for Slack then you could go with something like 'SlackPack' Grin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 10:22:35 am »

SlackPack
Seem's like I've heard that out there before?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 10:39:12 am »

Yeah.. I dont want to call it anything slack... although it should work flawlessly on it... I consider it a VL tool

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 11:54:37 am »

Well, since you did start off by using "vPackager" as the name for your project, why should you give it up?

Hehe...I'm pretty sure they knew about your project and that they knew they would be copying your name. I mean, if I were to start a project, one of the first things I'd do would be Googling the name I had in mind and see if it conflicted with something else already in use (and if it did, I wouldn't place a phony TM on it).

If push comes to shove, you could always Google-bomb your page back to the top of the hit list  Grin Wink
Seriously though, I'd send them an e-mail.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:59:16 am by easuter » Logged

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:49 am »

VecPac ?

i like it  Grin

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 01:08:55 am »

I like VecPac as well. It's got that nice ring of familiarity that SlackPack also has. SlackPack isn't an official name, but you just know what it means... sort of a family nick name.

Maybe VecPack would be a tiny bit clearer, but it doesn't scan as good as VecPac.

VectorPacker as name for the program that makes VecPacs?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 01:21:10 am by Freston » Logged
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 02:18:08 am »

I like VecPac or VecPack, too. 

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:36:06 am »

I have written an email to these people about the issue... Waiting for a response now... keep the suggestions coming...

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 05:26:41 am »

I need to get out more.  I dreamed that it got named "Vecta-pak"
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 06:09:22 am »

Package Maker, or V Builder?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: