Author Topic: iso's - difference between LIVE and standard ?  (Read 1956 times)

eric_t_bear

iso's - difference between LIVE and standard ?
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:07:03 pm »
firstly - I'm a newbie to Linux desktops in general - Vector is only my 2nd (attempted) install after Ubuntu.

I have an old Pent III with it's hard disk wiped clean.  I downloaded VLSOHO-5.1.2-LIVE.iso and it's booting from CD ROM just fine. But there are no install options presented upon boot-up - it just launches from CD and that's that.

It does not appear that I can install straight from this LIVE CD like I can from a Ubuntu live CD - should I have downloaded some other iso like VSSHO-5.1-rc2.iso (for example) if I want to install from a cd?

From the few clues I have gathered in the documentation section it appears that LIVE cd's are for testing purposes only and are not intended as install cd's - is that correct or have I missed some fundamental thing that allows me to install directly from the LIVE cd easily?

any advise appreciated.

newt

• Vectorian
Re: iso's - difference between LIVE and standard ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:37:53 pm »
I believe that prior to the 5.8 series of VectorLinux, the live CDs were not installable (i.e. did not contain an installer) - the 5.8 live cds DO contain an installer.  Perhaps you should try the SOHO 5.8 RC# Live iso instead.

Hope this helps.

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:42:33 pm »
I downloaded VLSOHO-5.1.2-LIVE.iso
Is there any particular reason why you chose the old 5.1 series over the 5.8 series SOHO? If not, I really recommend the 5.8 series.

It does not appear that I can install straight from this LIVE CD like I can from a Ubuntu live CD
there should be an installer somewhere IIRC. Try 'su' to become root, give the password (should be "vector" on the livecd's). Now, type "vlive[tab]". If there is an installer, it should be autocompleted when you press [tab] to vlive-install or vliveinstall (something like that).

My personal recommendation would be to get the latest stable SOHO installer cd, and install that. It rocks on my P3 ;). the install cd's have been thoroughly tested, much more than the livecd's .
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

eric_t_bear

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:07:41 am »
Thanks - will download the 5.8 final.

Not really sure how I ended up with the 5.1 instead of 5.8 - I think I originally downloaded from a local mirror (Australia) and just grabbed the iso from the 'current' folder.  Did not notice until later that it was not the latest release.

anyway - downloading 5.8 now.

cheers.