VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:27:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can't extract required/veclinux.tlz  (Read 2357 times)
Bob Todd

« on: September 11, 2007, 03:05:50 am »

MEDION MID2030 Notebook PC 8599
1024mb RAM (sans shared video memory)
3.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4
SiS chipset (I don't have full details to hand; I can look them up if you need more info)

I'm using a downloaded iso of Standard 5.8, and I can get as far as formatting the partitions I've previously prepared before I see the message "Cannot extract required/veclinux.tlz. The file may be corrupt, or the partition full. The state of the installation is unknown."

I don't believe the file is corrupt, as nothing awry comes up when I let the installer do a check on the required files. I was trying to put / in a 14gig partition and /home in a 29gig one - surely that's enough room? The website reckons I need only 2.1 gigs for the system.

I think there may be some bizarre fault with my computer, as I've previously tried installing Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Knoppix on my machine, with similar results or segfaults. It runs Windows XP, though, albeit with a blue screen of death every couple of hours.

I'm fairly new to Linux (only been using Ubuntu for a year or so), so please be gentle with me.
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 03:39:05 am »

Even Windows shouldn't give you a BSOD every couple of hours. It looks as though you have a hardware problem. I suggest that you run a memory test. There's not much point in trying to install another OS until the problem is sorted out.

Eric
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:18:10 am »

It does sound like it might be memory failure. However, I would expect a hard lock up if memory was faulty. If you have 2 512MB sticks of RAM in your laptop you could try with just one of them. If it fails with that one try the other. There are also memory tests available, but I can't recommend one as I have no idea what's out there and how good / bad they are.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:13:51 am »

You could check the heat too, make sure the cooler is clean and works properly, may be you want to remove it, clean them up and replace the thermal grease.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Bob Todd

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:46:37 am »

Thanks for the replies, all.

I think I'm going to have to take this machine to a repair shop; I wouldn't know how to begin fixing the cooler/fans, and I've opened up what seems to be the panel to access the RAM, but it doesn't look like anything I've seen before. I have limited experience with fixing/maintaining hardware and don't want to get out of my depth.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 07:05:35 am »

It takes a good person to admit that .  You have my respect  Smiley

It's like me admitting to my wife that I need to stop and ask for directions.
Ha, ha!  Who am I kidding.  I'd rather wing it!  Cheesy
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:42:07 pm »

Remember, this is a laptop. Many of them are almost impossible to open up safely, and it can be very difficult to find directions from the manufacturer or on the Web.

If the machine is dead or near death and out of warranty, you have nothing to lose by trying. But for the type of hardware problem described here, I wouldn't take the chance unless I could afford to buy a new machine if I wrecked this one in the process of trying to fix it
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:42:54 pm »

Hi Bob,

Though I have been using linux for years (SuSE to Fedora to Puppy to Vector 5.Cool, I'm about as new to all this as you are, tech-wise.  Every time I have a problem with installing Vector, its usually because I have not sufficiently ridded my system of Windows.  I install Puppy and get the thing working with Puppy, wiping out all vestiges of windoze with its disk formatting gadget.  And if that doesn't work, and often it doesn't, I get online and, after a couple of hours of searching, find an f-disk program that allows the complete reformatting of all parts of the drive, the mbr (if that's what its called) and everything else.  Then I install Puppy and if it works, do a new install of Vector 5.8, wiping out Puppy. Vector 5.8 is just better than Puppy for me and my staff as it is much harder to break and does just about everything I need right out of the box.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: